“Great lunch and wonderful baked goods!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Blue Heron Cafe
Ranked #4 of 65 Restaurants in Cadillac
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Blue Heron serves an excellent breakfast and lunch in large proportions; they are not open for dinner. Food is always fresh and unique. Daily lunches include a choice of 2 homemade soups w/complimentary homemade sourdough bread and a variety of sandwiches on homemade sourdough bread or wraps. Salads are always freshly made and filled with fruit, vegetables, and/or meat with tasty dressings. Two baker's display cases are filled each morning with fresh cookies, fried cakes, muffins, bagels, pies, cakes, and a large variety of sweet rolls, baked on site. Customers congregate there for coffee and a choice of doughnut or cookie. Their breakfasts are hearty and delicious. The owner is the cook, and it is a treat to find such a high quality restaurant in this small tourist town.
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great lunch and wonderful baked goods!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

The Blue Heron was a great find for us for lunch on our trip home from Up North. The Blue Heron in addition to offering an excellent selection of unique salads, sandwiches and soups, is a great bakery! Our two salads, soup and sandwich were all outstanding. All of our lunches were very fresh and flavorful... gourmet quality in a casual setting with reasonable prices. Great service as well! We all commented multiple times on how good everything was. Soups and salads are served with wonderful sourdough bread baked in their bakery. Before we left, we bought a loaf of wheat bread and cookies. Will definitely stop the next time traveling through Cadillac. Wish we lived closer.

• Visited July 2011

Cadillac, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a bad idea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

I have been there a few times and every time I go in there everyone treats me like I don't belong there. I've never felt welcome there. I actually spoke with the manager Brian about it too and he acted as though I was just telling him to get a free meal or something and sent me on my way with a half hearted apology. I haven't gone back since, I would also like to warn about how unsanitary the place is, I observed pretty closely and my friend sitting at the booth across from me saw the door stick open and said she saw some pretty gross things in back of the house. I wouldn't recommend this place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mag08_10
“After spending a week in Northern MI...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

After spending a week in Northern MI, this was one of the best restaurants we visited. Kids menu was limited but a great value. Chicken curry and chicken pesto sandwiches were excellent. Service was friendly -- a real family atmosphere. We'll be back!

Midland, GA
“My favorite restaurant in Cadillac”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

I visit from Georgia 2 or 3 times/year and eat at the Blue Heron almost daily. Sometimes, it is only for coffee and one of their many donuts/fried cakes/sweet rolls/cookies. It is a gathering place for locals. They also have discounts on some days. Their lunch salads are delicious and they have a daily special of homemade soup & half sandwich or wrap which are always delicious. The cook is brilliant at combining flavors and fresh produce in his soups and sandwiches; it's not your standard blah-type of food and they are not stingy portions. I have heard he also caters and is very involved in the community. Their servers are always friendly. I have gone back to Georgia many times with a homemade frozen pie ready to put in my own oven or a dozen date or molasses cookies for my freezer.