“Excellent service - good room”

Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Byron Center
Houston, Texas
“Excellent service - good room”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

After driving a couple hundred miles through Michigan, we were tired and looking for a place to stay the night on our way to Kalamazoo. We looked online and saw the Baymont which was in a great location along the highway, offering a good rate , but the websites said it was not avail! I decided to stop by and see and maybe get advice about the other hotel in the area we noticed as we pulled in. The young man working that night pleasantly greeted me as I entered and asked if I was looking for a room to which I replied yes, you have some? He said luckily for me , they had had some cancellations and yes, he had 2 queens! He quoted a rate that was lower than what I had found online and even cheaper with a AAA discount so I quickly registered. The young man was very personable and noticed I was from TX which we ended up having a short conversation about. As I went out to tell my daughter and get our luggage, he yelled after me ' enjoy your stay and let me know if I can help you in any way. ' Great service! Room was good, clean and comfy. Had a slight old "smokey" smell but luckily the windows opened a bit and aired the room out. It would've rated a 5 except for this. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Baymont for a youth soccer tournament in Kalamazoo. This was my second stay at a Baymont and I found it to be quite pleasant. Our room was next to the pool and ice machine on the first floor and I was surprised at how quiet it was. Everything was clean, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that our room had DirecTV and a nice television. The staff was friendly, and our only problem was that they messed up the billing of our group of soccer parent's rooms and I could not get a receipt at check-out (they emailed it to me later). The restaurant that was attached (84th Street Pub & Grille) probably had the most consistently good service I have ever had in a restaurant of any caliber -- see my review on that. My criticisms are that there is nothing around this place; and the coffee was really pretty sub-standard. Other than that, it was a decent room at a fair price for a couple of days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wayland, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We started our vacation this summer by staying one night at this hotel......we ate at the 84th Street Grille attached to the hotel. We had a nice night, pool to ourselves, and yummy continental breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: West facing away from the highway.....upper floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington, Utah
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Booked on Hotwire. Newer property with elevator and luggage carts which we needed because we had a lot of stuff. How nice not to have to struggle. It was very hot when we stayed but the room was nice and cool. We are on a cross country road trip and this is the nicest place so far. Cheapest price to boot. Adjacent bar is a good place to have a drink. Nothing super special but pretty decent.

• Stayed July 2012
Clare, MI
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I got this room from Hotwire.com for about $50. I've always had good luck with Baymonts, they tend to be modern, clean, and comfortable, with a couple perks but nothing too special. That's this place. It is a very clean hotel, very comfortable, and the service was good. Check in was fast and simple, Victor knew what he was doing and even gave me a choice of what floor I wanted. I asked for parking lot side, for less noise. He informed me all parking lot side rooms are non-king beds. I caved and opted for a king bed despite being on the freeway side. The noise wasn't an issue if the fan unit was running. With it off, highway noise was noticeable, as if the window isn't sealed too good...then I noticed it wasn't latched. I latched it and it was average road noise, not bad. I like the noise of a fan so it didn't bother me in the slightest to have it on.

The room was clean and fairly modern. I didn't feel like i was stepping back into 1990. The TV was a nice 32" LG LCD. The bed was clean and large (king) although the mattress wasn't top notch, the blankets and covers and pillows were sooooo nice. The sink is outside of the bathroom which personally I prefer, so I can use a non-fogged mirror. The counter and mirror are large and well-lit. There's a comfy lounge chair as well as a desk w/ office chair, a lamp, and plenty of plugs and an Internet data port all located at the desk area. I rarely use the desk when traveling, but I did this trip and it suited my needs perfectly. The wireless internet is password-free and had modest signal and good speed on the 3rd floor. I could even watch YouTube videos with only the occasional buffer.

The location of this property is nice, it's literally RIGHT beside the southbound off-ramp (exit 74) of 131. As you're getting on the off ramp you can see the Baymont to your immediate right. Make a simple right turn, go about 1/8 mile to the Pfieffer Farms drive, make another right and simply open your eyes and peer to your right. The 84th Street Pub & Grille is located right beside it (actually they're attached). I had zero trouble finding the place, in fact it was smack dab in your face when you exit 131. I didn't eat at the 84th St Pub since my visit was on a Sunday and they're closed Sundays. I'm instinctively cautious about restaurants inside or attached to hotels- they seem to be in business more for convenience than great food. I can't say if that's the case here or not. It looks like quite a nice place on the outside for what it's worth.

What this room lacked that I would have liked to have seen was a mini fridge. And a microwave would've been nice too, but at least a fridge. I've stayed at a Baymont about 10 miles away that I got on Hotwire as well last summer and it was very similar to this place, except it had a fridge. Of course it was $10/night more. I'll keep the $10 and skip the fridge I guess, but that's really the only complaint I have.

The free complimentary breakfast is the traditional breads galore, so if you have a gluten allergy...sorry about your luck. They say it's "hot". What that means is there's a waffle maker and a toaster. There are no eggs, no breakfast meats, no biscuits & gravy. To me, and I think to most of America, that's what a "hot" breakfast entails. I take that back, there's a large bowl of hard boiled (and peeled) eggs. Oh well, pretty standard fare I guess.

The lobby is nice and welcoming, with several chairs arranged around a nice fireplace.

If I have another trip to the area (which I do in a couple weeks) I wouldn't hesitate to try to book this same place IF I could get the same $50 deal through Hotwire. This place has a 90%+ recommended rating on Hotwire and I'm one of 'em.

Room Tip: If you want a king bed, I was told they're all on the road side. If you want quieter parking-lo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Huskee
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This is a recently refreshed hotel catering to the business traveler. It's clean, well lit, fairly comfortable, and conveniently located if your business takes you to the southern part of Grand Rapids. In the plus column is a better than expected attached restaurant, a better than average free breakfast, and some flexibility on rates. On the minus side, free wireless Internet is almost unusable (sadly not uncommon) and some folks in our party reported older and less comfortable mattresses. This is the hotel we always choose.

Room Tip: Definitely quieter on the non-highway side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JoshHM
Austin
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The three star rating is very broadly applied to a number of hotel brands. The Baymont Inn in Grand Rapids is probably at the low end of that range, but nevertheless, a true 3 star. Friendly front desk, but I requested a quite room and was given one on the freeway side, which is a little noisy. It has large clean rooms, comfortable beds, adequate pillows, flat screen TV with normal range of channels, and in-room coffee service. The sink is outside the bathroom, which, along with the street noise, is the least attractive part. On the plus side, there is free wireless internet, and a continental breakfast (juice, coffee, cereal, waffles, and doughnuts) included in the rate; the menu for room service, from the next door restaurant, had reasonable rates.

The hotel is about 10 miles from GRR. There is a closer Baymont Inn to GRR which I accidently went to first, so make sure you have the right one. In the end, perfectly acceptable rooms for a one-night stay in Michigan.

Room Tip: ask for quiet side
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express South
Holiday Inn Express South
#20 of 48 in Grand Rapids
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-South

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center? Share your experiences!