“Rusty Wallace Racing Experience - 10 Lap Qualifying”

Michigan International Speedway
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Brooklyn
Sterling Heights, Michigan
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rusty Wallace Racing Experience - 10 Lap Qualifying”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was a fantastic experience! If you've ever wanted to drive a stock car on a big high banked track this is it. From a race car experience it is not as technical as say an indoor karting track or road course experience, but it will get the adrenaline flowing.

They have some rules that you should know about. The track is divided with the Ride-Along cars having the upper groove. The Qualifying Drives have lower groove. Tape marks the lanes and the top lane is out of bounds for the Qualifiers. Passing is by permission of spotter only, and to the right only. No inside passes. The spotters talk to you through ear pads, you have no microphone.

Recommend scheduling no later than 2PM. They get behind, my drive was 1 1/2 hours late. Upgrade to 10 laps, its worth it. Ask questions in the driver's meeting about passing. I was held up by slower cars, and the spotter did not move them down, and did not give me OK to pass, so I was stuck for half my laps behind them. Buy the video, although pricey at $60, its fun to watch when you get home.

The cars are limited to 150 mph, about 5500 rpm. Hit the rev limiter and it slows the car. Never had a chance, but suspect you can run that lower groove at the limiter all the way around, no lift.

I had a great time and definitely glad I did it, but probably will not go back again. I attended the first race at MIS in the late 60s, so to actually drive it was an awesome experience.

2 Thank Dan_Lkn

Lockport, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Back again to the Irish Hills and MIS”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was my 14th year of going to MIS and all of them (baring the weather of course) have been great! Kudos to the MIS staff for once again making this a great event. Plenty of things to see and do, and one of the better bargains for a Nascar race. I camp there for 3 days including the price of the tickets, the camp site, food, and adult beverages. My part of the expenses were approximately $150.00, that included my brother in law and my adult nephew. Add another $100 for souvenirs and miscellaneous expenses and you have a real bargain. If you have young ones under the age of 10 it is recommended that you find a family friendly camp site that caters to the young ones. Some of the other sites are geared toward adults, so the language and the music can be a bit raw. Also the partying usually goes well past 1:00 a.m. A little too much for the young ones. This is not a complaint about the MIS staff or the security that patrols the camp sites. They do an excellent job. We have been camping with the same group for the last 14 years and have always had the same camp site. They come from Canada, Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. We e mail each other during the year to make plans for next year. So for a Fathers day weekend that you will not forget, come to the Irish Hills and Michigan International Speedway.

Madison, Alabama
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Great Racing Day”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our first visit to MIS, and despite the racing, the facility was great! We heard all about the massive traffic issues, but they must be old. We pretty much cruised right in and parked, with only a slight jam entering and parking. As for leaving, we got in our car and drove right out. They must have done some work on the traffic issues because we had no problems. The trams were also quick in getting us to the parts of the track we needed. We didn't particularly like the outrageous drunk people on our tram on the way back, but I don't think anything can be done about that...it is NASCAR after all. The facility itself is quite good, with some unique and delicious food items. (We loved the breaded pork tenderloin, delicious!) Also, the prices seemed actually reasonable for a race...cheaper then other tracks we've been to. We were in Section 6 row 22, and we could see the whole track, although if we go again we will get higher to better see the backstretch. The scenery around the track is nice and the people putting on the race do a great job taking care of the fans. My only problem, and this is becoming quite common, is that the racing was mostly boring. As with the 1.5 mile tracks, after a green flag start, it's exciting for about two laps, and then it gets strung out single file with large gaps between cars. When it stays green like that for 40 to 50 laps, it is so boring. Even the ending, there was no drama. Super speedways and short tracks are so dramatic and exciting, but these mid-size tracks are just struggling to provide any competitiveness. Anyway, great track, great facility, good treatment of fans...great day at MIS!

Huron Township, MI
“Awesome!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife bought me a driving experience pass for Michigan International Speedway. What a treat! The entire experience from arriving to the track, walking right into Pitlane, walking up and down pit lane near the suites was all a so-real moment for any race fan.

The drivers meeting was complete and very informative. You had no question left to answer as they covered it all.

The on-track experience was different than I expected. I thought the driving type meant you were driving with an instructor in the passenger seat. That is not the case, you are by yourself and only have your spotter telling you what to do or where to go.

The entire experience was awesome and would do it again, very soon!

Thank you Rusty Wallace Racing Experience!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rusty Wallace Racing Experience, Michigan International Speedway”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife purchased this as a gift for me and it is one the best experiences I ever had. I made my reservation on-line and there were may dates and times to choose from. Upon arrival at the track, the day started with a driver registration where I filled out standard paper work for liability and add-on options if I wanted anything such as Ride-Along, more laps, etc.. The drivers then went to a class room orientation that was very informative. The instructor reviewed safety protocol, equipment & gear, car handling tips, track layoput, passing, flag signals, spotter/radio inforation and the do's & don't's. It was time well spent and very informative. Then all the drivers went into pit row to get assigned cars (real NASCAR cars) and I was behind the wheel getting radio instructions from my personal designated spotter that sat in the control tower above the track. I got the "all-clear" and was driving at 155 MPH for 6 laps. It was worth every penny. I would do this again....without question. Truly awesome!!

Visited May 2014