“Always Very good”

JR's Hometown Grill & Pub
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We've been several times this year and it's always very good. The menu has a good variety and both sandwiches and full dinners are recommended. The last time there my husband had an open faced steak sandwich and I had French dip. Both meats were tender and tasteful. We tried a cheese with crab appetizer, which was very good. For dessert, we took home a piece of bananas foster cheesecake. It was disappointing and not worth the calories. The staff was fun and very friendly. Full bar. Very clean. Usually busy.

2  Thank Jackie C

Reviewed July 29, 2013

JR's consistently has great food and excellent service. The burgers are huge, the steaks cooked just right, and the appetizers are wonderful. They have daily dinner and drink specials. We eat there almost weekly and always leave full and happy!

1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was enticed to JR's by great reviews of their other locations and a free birthday lunch certificate. They have $6.99 lunch specials. Dinners would have been way over my $12.99 birthday certificate which exclude gratuity and drinks.
I ordered the pulled pork sandwich which comes with their homemade chips but I substituted fries. The sandwich was too big for one sitting so I took home 1/2 along with most of the fries. The fries were homemade thickcut deepfried fries with a great flavor. Love them! The sandwich was presented on a butter (?) bun carmelized on the inside so the liquid from the coleslaw, pork, and pickles would not make the bun soggy. The sandwich consisted of pulled pork- a little salty but great with no fat or gristle, tender and tasty; bque sauce, pickles, and coleslaw. I'm not a fan of coleslaw on a sandwich or for that matter on the side! This coleslaw totally made the sandwich-not too tangy or sweet-just perfect.
My companion ordered a hamburger with a side of cottage cheese. She indicated it was very good and ate everything which normally she does not. So, it must have been good!
I observed others' plates and every plate looked huge, from salads, to chimichangas, to soups.
The tables and booths were spaced far enough apart to allow an intimate atmosphere while still being in the open. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained. My only complaint is that the carpet was not well vacuumed when we arrived at 11:30 am.
I will definitely be back to this restaurant.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our B & B host suggested JR's as a good dinner spot, and it was a great recommendation. My sirloin was perfectly cooked and delicious. Dinner comes with two sides. We tried a pretzel brownie sundae for dessert - a combo with chocolate and caramel sauce and a pretzel crust; it was good though I could hardly taste the pretzel. We ordered sangria and were surprised that it did not have fruit in it; tasted more like a Spanish tinto wine, so I wouldn't recommend unless you want tinto and not sangria. Service was friendly. All in all, this was a delicious dinner. I'd recommend it.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We did a take out order. The ribs were very fatty, the veal was tough and the cod was so-so. Doubt if we would go back again. Very disappointed.

Been to JR's Hometown Grill & Pub? Share your experiences!