“Dirty restaurant, food ok”
Review of Border Cantina - CLOSED

Border Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The place is outdated and straight up dirty. Broken, unclean tile, grimy chairs. I'm surprised they still get a good crowd of people there, because there are about 20 other cleaner, better restaurants within 1 mile in Brighton. They need a makeover, stat. The margarita was good, though it arrived after the food, which makes me think everything was pre-made or semi- microwaved. Not terrible but I really can't see myself ever wanting to go back.

1  Thank ljh417

Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you've read any of my other reviews you know I'm extremely passionate about food, and I'm accurate and very fair. I just have nothing good to say about this establishment. This isn't Texmex, Amerimex but just plain old generic blah mex. I get the sense the owners are not particularly engaged in the business. A blatant lack of care and lack of attention to detail exists here! Standards are definitely not high for anything. It's also obvious they make their money on booze and the food is an after-thought. The place is dirty, correction- really grimy; it should be gutted, disinfected & power steamed more than once. The tables, floor and most everything else has that greasy film all over it and it's my guess they keep it dark in the place for a reason. I hate that greasy film; I think we all have experienced it on more than one occasion while dining out...unfortunately.

I think the chips are terrible and the jarred or canned salsa is even worse. If you like that Tostito's crud, you'll love it!

How can you screw up tacos and burritos? With all pre-processed food service junk and a microwave, that's how. There seems to be little effort here to offer anything better than mediocre. Service has been mediocre as well.

Dirty, mediocre uninspiring restaurants like this don't deserve to be in business. Unfortunately, it's one of the few "mexican" establishments in the area and people will continue to dine here. Good luck!

1  Thank Sheckster12
Reviewed July 13, 2013

There aren't that many Mexican restaurants in Brighton, Mi. If you want a margarita or cool cerveza, this is the place for you. The chips and salsa are ok- nothing to write home about, but not terrible. As for the entrees, the fajitas are your best bet. They taste like fajitas that you can get anywhere. I've varied from the my standard fajita order a few times and regretted it. Most of the food is just melted cheese on tortillas. Nearly flavorless.Nothing is terribly spicy, even the spicy caliente sauce. The portions are large, but since the food isn't so great, I'm not sure if this matters. Service is good. All waitstaff was very attentive. At best, this is place is average. Prices are a bit higher than what you'd pay at a chain restaurant.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife wanted a change of pace for her birthday this year so we headed for our usually reliable Mexican offering, Border Cantina. Their signature Marguerita's were outstanding, and errored on the strong side, certainly not watered down! I wish I could praise the complimentary salsa and chips, but the chips resembled discount store house branded style, and where B.C. once offered two salsas (one medium, another hot) in blue and white bowls, they now offer only one, which I suspect is of the cooked/canned variety.
My shredded beef Chimi did NOT disappoint, it was excellent, and my wife's Dos Taco's (from the lunch menu) were "very good" but as she said, "How can you mess up a taco?" We ate outdoors on the patio, and the tables could have used a wipe down, but al fresco dining has it's hazards.
Our server was only slightly unattentive, but we were one of only two couples in the place, so she could have been more dedicated. We'll go back, but we hope the cost savings exacted onto the chips and salsa don't seep into the other offerings.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The food was delicious. Generous portions and great food. Friendly waitstaff and the manager was very nice. The atmosphere was very nice. Location is great. Food is priced well.