“Nice break from chain restaurants.”
Review of The Wooden Spoon

The Wooden Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wooden Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 126 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New restaurant in Brighton. Owned by a chef who worked at a local Country Club now out on his own. Hearing good things about the place. Needs a a spot on TA.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Since I visited on a perfect Michigan summer evening any place with a patio would have pleased me but I'm pretty sure I would have liked it on other days also. Since we met friends who were already seated I didn't even see the inside which I understand is a deli and little store. So, no comment about that. It was perfect for our needs. We were catching up after several months and conversation was our main event. Our visit was made better by interesting and tasty food. The two men split a huge BLT--each half was more than adequate as a serving. We women split a Californicator sandwich-- vegetarian--and big enough for two. Each couple added an entre salad each of which would have fed a family of four as a side salad. The important thing is tht it was also good. Nice vening out. I recommend it and will return.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was Father's day, however, at 11:30 AM, and with a 60% full house, you could expect the following, even on the patio: a clean table; setups (silverware); napkins (albeit the paper variety) and salt and pepper, Nope, nada. Our server, who was young, appeared somewhat clueless about basics, e.g. putting a napkin under silverware on a metal table that had not been cleaned.

Our orders arrived with one success: the salmon salad was, according to our daughter, very good.

The "pan scrapple" bore no resemblance to scrapple that I have had many times in other establishments - in reality, it was polenta with onions and jalapeno peppers. The eggs were overdone, the potatoes were nicely cooked, however, everything was somewhat cold upon arrival - and further cooled by the outside air. My wife's dish was supposed to include kielbasa - to her surprise, someone substituted andouille sausage. Apparently, they ran out of kielbasa. After a 15 minuted wait, she was provided 4 sausage links which you could get at any place that served breakfast.

Our server explained that the "kitchen was having issues" and that all the server's were having problems with "them".

They did take 10% off the bill - I believe they should have comped my wife's meal. However, since it was our daughter's treat to us, she didn't want to make an issue of it.

The coffee was very good, however, the wait for it was somewhat lengthy.

I would like to try the place midweek and eat inside to form a better judgement.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

You cannot imagine how good the food and service is at the Wooden Spoon. It is creative and simply delicious. The wait staff is top notch as well and you can tell they love their job. I have also been to a party with food catered in from here and it was outstanding. Stop looking around Tripadvisor and just go eat there then you will know.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a party of 6 today for brunch. The atmosphere is unique as it is a deli, small restaurant. We tried it because they took reservations and it was 11:00 on a Sunday. The food selection was unique too. I had the lemon vanilla french toast which was very tasty...more lemony than vanilla. They use Zingerman's bread. My boys had the Hash Bash which originally came out without the potatoes but the chef apologized and quickly remedied the situation. There were a few too many onions and one was a bit greasy, but the flavor was good. The mushroom & brie soup was very tasty. Another member of the party had eggs benedict with avocado and the last entree was a mexican breakfast which was very spicy. Overall it was very good. The coffee was excellent.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been here a few times. Once was for take out and the other was dine in. The take out experience was good but the cost adds up fast. The food is very high quality but you end up paying for it. The dine in experience was good but nothing overly amazing. I had a salmon caesar salad which was good. The price was high but the salad was large. The salmon was cooked well and thankfully not dried out. Looking at the menu reveals a nice assortment of interesting sounding flavor arrangements. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other fare in the future.

The eclectic feel of restaurant, deli and mini-market works well. Yes you'll pay more for a meal here but you get the added benefit of a creative and well constructed menu offering better food choices than the chain restaurants.