“Mountain Run at Boyne August 2014”

Mountain Run at Boyne
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Lake Orion, Michigan
“Mountain Run at Boyne August 2014”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is my second review for this place, I wrote a review a year ago after purchasing a "Sampler Package" from Bluegreen, which is how I got stuck staying here a second time. To be fair, I am going to write a few comments about the property itself, and then my opinion about the BlueGreen concept of points.

1. The place is decent but nothing special, it had two bedrooms and two bathrooms with a kitchen, which was helpful for our family of 5.

2. They put us on the 2nd floor, although the view was nice, it was not pleasant to carry all our luggage up the stairs, it was a big pain as you had to go through 3 different doors to finally get into your room.

3. The pool was decent, good if you have young kids.

4. It is a little bit of a walk to get to the activities at Boyne, if you have young kids you will likely want to drive (about 1/4 to 1/2 mile).

If I had really wanted to go to Boyne on vacation, I would have stayed on Boyne properties and not Bluegreen properties. The only reason I stayed on Bluegreen properties is because a "sampler" package was sold to me a year ago, and basically it was the only place I could use it that worked for my family in the month of August. Anyone who walks by the Bluegreen stand at Bass Pro Shop in Auburn Hills or is thinking about buying anytime of "membership" at Blue green, you need to CLOSELY read the details, the salesperson we bought our sampler package from was unethical on where she told us we could the package at, so be careful what you buy and sign.

In a nutshell, I will not downgrade the Bluegreen resort at boyne because it is decent and the resort staff friendly, but the sales people who work for Bluegreen are somewhat pushy and need a lesson on ethics when they sell this point system for people, and for that I will not recommend Bluegreen.

Room Tip: If you have a family of more than 2 people, request a 1st floor room, it is a big pain if you have a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank jeff197025
BluegreenCares, Manager at Mountain Run at Boyne, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Hello jeff197025,

Thank you for reviewing your second stay at Mountain Run. We are glad our condo-style accommodations were convenient for your family, and that you found our staff friendly. We regret to learn where your experience fell short, and would like to further discuss your concerns. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com. Thank you.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have been coming to Mountain Run at Boyne for the last 8 years. My kids love it. We got a three bedroom Condo and brought my mom with as well. So we had five people total. The three bedroom gave us a two bedroom, two full bath condo, with kitchen, eating area, and living area. The other side had a one bedroom one full bath, smaller kitchen eating area, and living area. We had three balconies total and were on the second floor. The unit had washer and dryer. Bluegreen is the timeshare company that owns Mountain Run. The staff was pleasant and the kids enjoyed the pool. The hot tub is inside which would be the one downside we don't like. There is a small game room, exercise room, activity center and clubhouse. They have daily activities for the kids.

Boyne Mountain has so many amenities to offer including two awesome golf course, disc golf, zip lining, beach, pools, several restaurants, ski lift, nightly activities. Deer Lake has the beach with beach bar and restaurant. They offer complimentary kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, etc on Deer Lake right by the beach. The water is clear and has a nice sand beach. The water stays shallow way out into the lake which is awesome for the kids. In the evening down by Boyne's main lodge we saw jugglers, magicians, music, etc. they offered free s'mores and snacks. We have never had any complaints.

The area around Boyne is also great. northern Michigan has Great Lakes, small towns, antiques, shopping, marinas, Mackinaw Island, lighthouses, and other fun activities. We have done Mackinaw Island twice, many sightseeing tours and drives around. We have boated on Lake Charlevoix many times. Walloon lake is gorgeous too and has a nice new restaurant Barrell Back.

With nice condo units, great amenities both at the resort, the accompanying resort of Boyne Mountain, and the surrounded by great activities around northern Michigan it is a no brainier for summer fun and that's why we come every year. Not to mention the skiing in the winter is great for the Midwest at Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, and Nubs Nob all of which we have done.

Room Tip: Two or three bedroom units offer great space for your family. Squeezing 4 into the one bedroom can...
4 Thank SBYBoss302
BluegreenCares, Manager at Mountain Run at Boyne, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello SBYBoss302,

Thank you for returning to Mountain Run. We are so happy to hear that you and your family have always enjoyed your stays with us. We appreciate the compliments regarding the amenities as well as the condo-style accommodations. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have friends who come to this resort almost every year. However, we thought it was just average. There was nothing elegant about the resort and most of the things we wanted to see were an hour or more drive away. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit. The master bedroom was quite large and the master bathroom was also very spacious. The second bedroom was very, very cramped. This second bedroom didn't even have a wastebasket in it. The hall bathroom was also quite tiny and the shower was smaller in terms of width than our shower at home. The housekeeping staff needs to do a better job of cleaning. I put on a clean pair of socks and after walking around 1 night, they were filthy. We had spiders in the bathroom, a flying insect in the bedroom, and a tick in the shower. The kitchen was poorly equipped compared to timeshares we normally use. There is nothing elegant about this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a building that doesn't share the check-in parking lot. There are no elevators so if ca...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Whinny2,

We appreciate your taking your time to write such detailed feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not in line with your expectations. We apologize for the issues noted above. We would like to learn more about the situation. Please contact us at your earliest convenience at info@bluegreenvacations.com. Thank you..
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The bed was clean and had great sheets and blankets. But the air conditioning in our room sounded like a jet engine. The windows were broken and only one would open. When it did open, you could hear a large and loud party in the swimming pool at 11:00 p.m. For what I paid, I expected a bit more. I explained this on check out, but nothing was done and just a perfunctory apology from the front desk clerk. On the plus side, The Trophy Room had great pizza.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have been updated and renovated. That would be the way to go with this hotel. Al...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Mountain Run at Boyne, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello RestlessNative2068,

We regret to learn you were not completely satisfied with your stay at Mountain Run. We appreciate the feedback you have shared and would like to further discuss. Please contact us info@bluegreenvacations.com. Thank you for your review.
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We traveled to the resort with our 2 children and found the amenities very satisfactory. We did miss the "Registration" sign, which is relatively small, but once we arrived to the correct location we were promptly given our room keys. We stayed for only a few days so we opted for the smaller 1 bedroom unit. If we return to the resort, we will likely choose to stay in a 2 bedroom as the space is fairly small. However, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The kitchen does not have an oven but is well-equipped for most cooking that would need to be done. The outdoor area has gas grills as well, which are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. We had a great wi-fi connection which surprised me given some of the other reviews. The vacation was very economical and we didn't find the need to travel off of the resort property often. At the neighboring resort there were ample opportunities for family activities including scenic ski lifts, magic shows, outdoor family movies, hayrack rides, and a 'smores fire pit. We saw several people traveling with their extended families and it seems like the perfect place to do such a trip; we've already talked about brining my in-laws for our next stay.
I do feel that the resort could improve in a couple of key areas. Our room was on the second floor and while our room was wonderfully clean, the stairwell up to our room was smelly and was in desperate need of a cleaning. The trash bin at the bottom of the stairwell was full for our entire stay. This should be emptied far more frequently and especially in the hot summer months. Also, the customer service at the concierge and front desk was not as hospitable as I'm accustomed to- while we did have a few positive interactions, we had just as many who acted as if they were being bothered by our inquiries about resort activities or other general questions.
Overall, I did like the resort and plan to return with our family again. The amenities were great, the rooms comfortable and clean, but the service could use improvement.

Hello Jessica P,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback and recommendations. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay that you will plan to return again. We are happy that you were satisfied with our amenities and accommodations. We regret to learn our staff did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the feedback you have provided, which will help to ensure a positive experience for all guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mountain Run soon!
Echo Bay
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Resort is quiet and just down the road is Avalanche Bay. Nice, clean rooms. I like the fact that it has a full kitchen. Save alot of money instead of going out to eat. Avalanche bay offers discounted prices after 4:30 for people not staying at their resort.

Room Tip: I like the two bedroom. Kids have their own room. Put them to bed and let them watch tv to fall asle...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Mountain Run at Boyne, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hello Aarebo,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Mountain Run at Boyne. We are happy you found the rooms nice and quiet and enjoyed having a kitchen. We hope you will consider a return visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a resort owned by Bluegreen Vacations. The first time there was December 2013 and we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa facing the mountain. The rooms are large with two oversized bathrooms. The dining area seats six and a full kitchen. The only thing one needs to bring is food. It snowed the week we were there and it was beautiful watching the machines groom the mountain at night through the snow. The gas fireplace has a timer so not to worry. There is not any night skiing and the runs close rather early. They should consider extending at least some hours since this is their main / only attraction. There is a nice outdoor pool but only open in the summer. We ended up purchasing one of the timeshares and am happy with the arrangement so far.
We returned in June 2014 for two nights because it was required for "new owner orientation." This time we stayed in a two bedroom villa on the first floor. Again it was nice and no complaints there. The large outdoor pool was now open and the children enjoyed it greatly. About 65-70% is shallow with a gradual slope ending at about 4ft. Then it angles to a deeper end where an adult can swim. The water temperature was very nice and regulated. It was extremely clean and well maintained. There are pool towels kept in the pool house so no need to bring your bath towel. Many are not aware of this because it isn't advertised. We only found out from others there at the pool. The clubhouse only serves coffee this time of year. Both times we entered seeking cocoa or tea only coffee was supplied. When we went to our "new owner orientation" we were told it lasts about an hour. First of all be advised this is not an orientation in any way. We were trapped there for three hours and from the very instant we sat down it was another sales pitch. We has just purchased from them and they had the gall to hit us up again. The package we has just purchased suddenly needed to be doubled in size. Don't know how they can rationalize that to anyone. I had brought all of my materials in a bag thinking there was an actual orientation on how to use the products we has already purchased. Pie in my face. When I informed the salesman he told me those weren't needed and the people he usually works with usually purchase 40-50k annually so he didn't know why he was placed with us since we had only purchased 12k biannually. When I realized there was not any education involved I informed him we would not be making an additional purchase. He replied that we had to go through the motions then brought over his supervisor. Again I said no. At that point he said "O.K. we're finished. There's the exit." He pointed to the door for me and my kids to leave. My husband was throwing something away and didn't see me leave while I was rusher out the door. Again the salesman said to my husband when he asked where I was..."The exit's over there." Really? Guess he's sore since he didn't make a sale and we weren't big spenders. Very bad image to put out there.
One other thing. The room are great but the room we were in the second time did not have any internet available at all even there were signs posted inside the room saying it is available. There was an Ethernet cable that goes nowhere and the Wi-Fi has signal but doesn't work. When I called the front desk I was told we were in a promo room and Wi-Fi is restricted in that room. I fail to see the logic in that unless you want to irritate your potential patrons. Most of the activities are from the neighboring resort and you have to take a shuttle to get there. Not bad but I felt like an intruder since we were staying at their competitor. This place has so much potential but they are hurting themselves. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with the area as it grows.

Room Tip: Stay in a two bedroom villa!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Cindy H
Hello Cindy H,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mountain Run at Boyne. Your feedback as a Bluegreen owner is important to us. We are delighted you enjoyed the spacious accommodations and amenities. We regret to learn of your disappointment with your new owner meeting. We welcome you to contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you would like to discuss your experience further. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boyne Falls
Boyne Mountain Resort
Boyne Mountain Resort
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort

Been to Mountain Run at Boyne? Share your experiences!