“Very nice property, dated room decor.”

Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just back from a 4 day weekend in Boyne with the family. The hotel itself and the grounds are impressive. Indoor/outdoor pool was large, clean, and warm. Lot's for a family to do. Water park was fun and no long waits for the rides. In one day we went swimming in the lake, mountain bike riding on their trails, and kayaking. Plenty of activities for kids at night with the bonfire and outdoor movie. Good night life in the hotel bar for adults too! Hotel staff was friendly.

Downside was the size sheer size of the property. Very long walk back to the room. They could have used more doors on the property so that you don't always have to go in through the center door when coming in from the mountain side. For rooms at the end of the hotel it really is a long hike- so ask for a room close to the center of the hotel. Also, the room decor was dated. While the granite was a nice touch, the ruffled drapes and stripe painted walls are in need of an update. 25" tube t.v., not up to standard. Room was just ok clean. Carpets need to be cleaned and the grout in the bathroom is in need of an update.

Overall a very good stay, would give 3.5 stars if I could. Would stay again, just would ask for a center room and would hope that they update the rooms.

Room Tip: Room in the center of the hotel is a must to avoid a long walk.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank 42matts

Reviewed June 22, 2012

First time to Boyne Mountain Resort and it certainly won't be our last! What a property...helpful staff, great accommodations, stocked pond for fishing with children, chairlift rides...too many activities to list. I was interested to see the actual room having only seen a handful of hotel picks when reserving and I was very happy upon arrival. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Zermatt Suite (bedrooms upstairs, kitchen / family room downstairs). My whole family had a blast. The discussion has been, "when can we go back to Boyne?". Highly recommend the resort.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelingExecutive
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I traveled to Northern Michigan to participate in a Bike Tour of the Boyne area. This was my 3rd say at the Mountain Grand Lodge at Boyne Mountain and I was as impressed this time as I have been on each of my past stays. The staff was wonderful, the service was friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and beautiful. The desk staff even found a map for me, and gave me directions to places which were open at 5am so I could get a breakfast before my 35 mile bike tour the next morning!

I spent the evening in the pool and the outdoor hot tubs. The area around the pool was well maintained and had a great view of the mountains. I did not get to visit Avalanche Bay, but I peaked in and it looked really cool for the kids.

If you are in Northern Michigan its a great place to relax. Next time I am booking a massage at the Spa!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The Lodge is just one of several Boyne properties in northern Michigan. Rooms are spacious in an alpine rustic décor with lots of knotty pine. Wet bars, whirlpool tubs and spacious bathrooms are very good for travelers. While their primary attraction is skiing, we found plenty of activities available for the summer. Golf at Monument was fun and we had access to at least six golf courses in the Boyne properties in the area. The Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark is the largest in Michigan. It has everything and will entertain kids of all ages for an entire day or evening. On our visit most of our time was spent golfing but we enjoyed their beautiful outdoor pool. Staying over a Friday night we went to the Michigan Beer & Wine Tasting at the “Made in Michigan” shop. They had a great spread of Michigan hors de oeuvres’ to sample along with the wines and beers. The complimentary chairlift to the top is a must. The views are spectacular of these low glacier carved hills. While we didn’t participate in them – we saw teens going mountain biking, kids enjoying the hay ride and gathering for “Storytime”. They even had an outside family movie night. Just a few miles down the road is the quaint town of Boyne City with a few upscale restaurants and great views.

Room Tip: They have a large variety of accommodations so check those that match your needs. We liked being in...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mixaconsulting
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed here in a king room 06/01-06/03 and it was raining our entire stay. We got a golf and spa package (1 round of gold and $200 to the spa). GOLF: We played the Monument course in the rain and made it through 11 holes. The course was very nice and pretty challenging...fast greens even in the rain. Then comes the spa package...I don't really understand why they only give you $200 to it when the cheapest massage you can get is $120 a person....this was my first massage, but my wife indicated that $120 for a 50 minute massage is pretty high and thought the massage was as good as any other she has had. Personally, the massage was nice, but next time I would just let my wife use the whole $200 on herself. We took the time here to look around and felt that we would really like to come back with our kids as there is always something to do with the family. We both agreed that we wouldn't stay at any other place since the Mountain Lodge is pretty much where everything happens. We each got $25 to the casino from the resort, and promptly lost it all within 2 minutes :). We plan on coming back in a year or two when the kids can enjoy the waterpark.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karpediem
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here one summer. The five of us stayed in one room with a king size bed, queen size sleeper sofa pull out, and a cot AND there was still room for all of us in the room. Mind you - we didn't spend much time in the room though. The ski resort has plenty to do in the area. We went hiking, swimming in the lake (you have to drive to it), zip lining. We drove into Charlevoix to visit - an easy 20 min ride from the resort and also into Petoskey - another 20 min ride. The resort was centrally located to so much. Plus when there was inclement weather they had an indoor water park with slides, a lazy river, obstacle course, etc that my kids enjoyed!! This is an easy place to stay and in the summer they often have great deals - the year we went they had stay four nights for the price of 3. We even had a fridge and microwave in our room so we often ate breakfast there... Would totally stay here again and use it as a catapult to local area attractions.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Columbus_Mom
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We have spent our last three March Break holidays at the main lodge of this resort and have come away happy each time. The resort has so many things for kids to do and the prices are very resonable, the service is always excellent and the staff seem genuinely happy to work there. Our rooms were large, clean and well stocked with all the amenities, you could change the room temperature and the tv offerings and free internet meant that there was the ability to relax in your room. The staff go to great lengths to ensure that the Canadian spring break is fun for families, offering many activities, including hunting for maple leafs, campfires, horse drawn rides and ski races. We have purchased the weekday package, which includes meals and lift tickets. This year we worried that snow wouldn't last with the warm temperatures, but the groomers worked all night long moving snow to create good morning and evening skiing, in spite of the warmth. The best part of the this resort is the size, small enough to create a personal feeling with small distances between all the locations, yet large enough to offer all the ammenties of a larger resort including a number of restaurants, stores and a spa and 3 pools including a water park, ziplining and an arcade. I definately recomend this resort for families, but you might want to eat at the buffet, because the service in the main lodge restaurant was too slow for kids. The snow school also offers good programs for all levels. My only complaint would be that the water saving shower heads are too stingy, there needs to be a happy medium between gallons of water and having to race between the drops. Also the hot water takes a very long time to reach the third floor.

Room Tip: Rooms on the slope side have a nice view of the slopes in the winter. There are larger rooms in the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls
Boyne City Motel
Boyne City Motel
#1 of 1 in Boyne City

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!