“Went for waterpark- will go in off season next time!”

Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Sault Ste. Marie
“Went for waterpark- will go in off season next time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Went to this hotel for the waterpark, not for outdoor activities! PRICEY- but it's their peak season! Hotel was very nice- room was beautiful - nice big tub! Outdoor pool and hot tub very cool, but full of drunks by 8pm. Plan on returning, but not in the winter again!!
Everretts restaurant (see my review) good food, poor service.
Trophy Room (see my review) Good food and service.
Avalanche Bay (see my review) Different than Great Wolf Lodge, more geared to older kids in comparison.
They have an arcade, and racing with remote controlled cars above the arcade. Didn't realize there was horse drawn tours (free) and other amenities this time around...

Room Tip: Unsure- first time there- was on the second floor and it was fairly quiet- only stayed one night..
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Took the kids up for skiing. Picked the place cause of the reviews, pool, and proximity to skiing. Awesome. Not one bad thing to say. Kids were worn out from skiing then playing in the pool. Wife and I got to the best sleep because they crashed hard and never stirred at all during the night. That alone was worth it!

Room Tip: Only been here once. We were not close to the pool and it didn't matter. Like any hotel, you s...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 69-Mach1-lvr
Newaygo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

Four seasons of fun. Just a did another weekday getaway of skiiing. I golf here, mtn bike here and ski here. I now ask for the same room at the Grand Lodge. Either 156 or 158. Right next to the pool. Only 10 steps from door to door. Its not loud and the kids (and adults) don't have to walk thru the whole place. 156 has a fireplace, sliding door, and pull out sofa w the queen bed. MY favorite.
Everett's is a good place to eat but I do enjoy Piersons better. I love the Trophy Rooms pizza as well. Bring your own breakfast stuff because there is a fridge and microwave and full sink area in the room w a coffee maker.
Golf weekends are even better w buddies. Great golf, great people and just plain fun. If you're going up... contact me so I can go. I LOVE sitting in the hot tub with a beer and looking at the mountain. Its one of my favorite places.

Room Tip: stay close to the pool as possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank caveman10
Lowell, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

The spa in the grand lodge was great!It was a bit pricey but that was expected. However food was cold at Everetts and service was terribly poor. I expected alot more for my $. Rooms Clean but nothing above and beyond. Fan in bathroom didnt work and temperature control in the room was nearly impossible to get right. Ski rental was smooth and easy..in and out in 10 minutes.Ski lift tickets are good at both boyne mtn and boyne highlands so you can ski both mountains for the day. We liked the highlands better for skiing due to them taking better care of the slopes and its only a 30 min drive to the other resort. The cafeteria was better at the highlands. Boyne mtn had more black diamond runs open at the time so I cant really decide what one I would suggest for skiing.

Room Tip: we stayed in 237 it had a pretty fireplace and balcony however ask for a mountain view if you want t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Great Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We always go to Boyne a few times per year but always during the week between Christmas and New Years. This year we were there for only 2 nights on December 26th anb 27th and we had a good time. I was traveling with my wife and two kids aged 4 and 8. Boyne offers many different types of accomodations such as condos and chalets but the standard hotel rooms in the Mountain Grand Lodge always works the best for us with the kids. Condos and chalets are great for adults and teenage kids but when we are away my wife will not do any type of cooking and with the kids they need food on demand so the hotel always works the best cause it has a restaurant.

The great thing about Boyne is there is something there for everyone even if you dont ski. The skiers love it but if you dont ski there is the indoor water park, spa, indoor pool, local sightseeing, and snowmobiling. For us it works great cause I dont ski but I snowmobile so I tow my trailer to the Boyne parking lot and unload and ride all day and the meet up with the family for dinner and exchange the days events. The trail starts just across HWY 131 and you can literally ride any where from there. This time there was not enough snow so my sled stayed home. Also if you dont have your own snowmobile there is a rental place about 1 mile from the hotel. Traverse City and Petosky are not too far so you can also take in the sights if snowmobiling is not your thing. The water park is a big indoor attraction for the kids and offers them something besides skiing but its pricey. In the evening there is story time with Fritz in the library with homemade cookies and milk. Also every morning during the week between Christmas and New Years they have a juggler in the main lobby that the kids and adults both will find entertaining. At night there is a horse drawn sleigh ride and bon fire so as you can see you will find things to do besides skiing. There is also a gift shop in the main lobby with basic stuff plus a Kilwins fudge and ice cream store and other shops located in the little villiage between the two hotels.

There are many restuarants on property and as I said the kids need food on demand so this works well and we always eat on property. The food is of decent quality and priced good also. Its not fine dining but hey your going here to ski not for a fine meal! We mostly eat at Everttes but have tried them all and you wont be disaapointed.

The rooms are always decent and you know what to expect. They could probably use some freshening up and getting a little outdated and the shower heads are a bit fussy but here again you are there to ski not stay in the room. A good hot shower and nice mattress and I am happy! The Mountain Grand lodge is newer than the Boyne Mountain hotel and I highly reccomend to stay at the Mountain Grand if you have kids. For one thing the hotel is newer plus it has the game room and water park and we like Everettes restaurant better than the Boyne Mountain hotel however the Boyne Mountain Hotel is closer to the skiing.

We always enjoy the outdoor hot tubs and pool at the Mountain Grand and every year we do use the spa. The spa is decent with good ameneties but dont get a massage. I have had 3 masssages there and every year I leave dissapointed and $175.00 lighter. No more massages for me. I can feel just as good with 30 minutes in a hot tub seriously. Its not that the staff gives a bad massage its just that they dont know how to give a good one at least thats been my experience from the 3 different ones I have had.

So pack your bags, load up the car, hook on to your trailer and head North and enjoy yourself at the best ski lodge family resort in Michigan. Oh and dont forget the kids.

P.S. One thing I forogt to mention that is seriously worth noting is that Boyne was founded by a Michigan man named Everett Kircher. He was a business man, inventor, and outdoors man like no other. He owned car dealerships in Detroit but fishing, hunting, and skiing was this mans passion. He has caught world record fish and hunted trophy animals all over the world and had a vision and drive like no other to say the least. One thing that I really admire about him was he was the man who invented and patented the snow making machine that is used all over the world at ski lodges every where. He was a pioneer like Henry Ford and you should read the book they sell in the gift shop about his life. The world need more Evertte's today.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the waterpark if you have kids.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank caymankid
Omaha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I just spent three days at the Mountain Grand Lodge for a conference. Since I'm not a skier I can only speak to the facility and location.

First of all, very pretty location with the mountain (reallly big hill) in the background. The Grand Lodge is just as you would expect with a very ski resort feel, lots of woodsy decor, warm and cozy. The real pine Christmas tree and garland was very fragrant - I really enjoyed it.

I had a room with 2 Queen beds that looked out to the back of the resort - a nice mountain and stream view. The room was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was roomy with a shower only. We had a very reasonable rate, since this was mid week and the slopes were not yet open for skiing. I understand (from the front desk) that the rates will triple as soon as it is ready for skiers. over $400 a night. Sounds like a lot to me, but since I'm not a skier I'm really not qualified to make an opinion as to whether that is in range.

We ate all our meals here and the food was good, not great, but definitely good. The servers were friendly and helpful although food was fairly slow to arrive and they were not busy.

I would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floor with a view of the mountain.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Our foursome has visited Boyne Mountain to golf twice now and neither time were we disappointed. ...the staff the accomodations and especially the food have always been above par. The resort has two fantastic golf courses which would satify almost anyone to stay and play them. If you go for the gr8 escape its even better. So many courses to choose from and they are all in tip top shape. Its a golfers dream!!....then as part of your deal you can select Bay Harbour to play which is breathtaking in itself right on the coastline with some very scenic views. All in all I would recommend this resort to anyone. Our stays were 2010 and 2009 in September

Room Tip: Many options to choose from...the main lodge to various condos around the ski hills
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Boyne Mountain Resort
Boyne Mountain Resort
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!