“The Grand Lodge and Spa is... grand!”

Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I stayed at the Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa as part of a work-related conference. The hotel, being so new, was in excellent condition. It's quite large! In fact, so large that walking from the lobby to my hotel room near the end of the north wing on the 3rd floor took me probably a good 5-7 minutes. This hotel is so expansive!

(I would suggest that if you have difficulty walking distances, you request a room closer to the elevator or you may be hoofin' it a very long distance to get to your room!)

The room I booked was a queen size standard room. It was very clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. The bed was very comfortable with a duvet, a variety of pillows, and a good mattress. The flat-screen TV, large room, balcony, spacious bathroom, massive sit-in jacuzzi-style tub, and other niceties made this room very comfortable.

Other than it taking quite a while to walk to my room and back from the hotel lobby (which wouldn't have mattered had I not needed to do so frequently throughout the day, asI was here for work), this hotel really was excellent! The hotel bar downstairs also offered friendly service and a decent selection of draft beers and other beverages.

The breakfast buffet in the morning (for a moderate charge) was also well-done and delicious.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone coming up to the Boyne, MI area for work, relaxation, etc. I was very pleased.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank psycchic12

Reviewed November 25, 2007

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. It is simply fabulous. The kids love the waterpark, everyone loves the indoor outdoor pool and hot tubs. The location is divine, the staff is superb and I plan to stay there many, many more times. We eat at Everetts and have always had good food and great service there. We get the double suite with adjoining rooms on one floor and that keeps the parents away from the kids and vice versa! The robes are a bonus and we wear them constantly during our stay and going back and forth to the waterpark. Do not hesitate in staying here! Also, as another reviewer says, call and get a good rate, the first time we booked online and paid a small fortune! You can get a better deal by calling I think although during their high seasons, obviously prices will be higher. It's worth every penny though, I would have paid more to go there again if I had to!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank HappyFamilyMichigan
Reviewed November 24, 2007

For just the tips, go to the end of this review.

This was our second stay at this resort. We stayed in August (Room #244 and paid over $200/night. ) This time we contacted the hotel approx. a week before (and scored a lower rate compared to Expedia.com for the same dates) and paid approx. $170/night for four nights.

This time (Nov 21-24) as we arrived we experienced the seasons first snowfall! The large fireplace was roaring and kept the lobby warm enough to be comfortable, even with the front doors being regularly opened and closed. There are lots of windows letting in plenty of natural light . The knottty pine walls and stone flooring makes it feel clean and open. The staff is friendly and quick-within minutes of check-in we were off to our room, #288. Just like before, our room had a queen bed, a pull-out sofa bed (for our two children) a kitchen (this time located next to the bed, not in a hallway between the door and bedroom. The bathroom was similar in decor, but the tub was not a 2-person tub (but it did have jets!) This room had one less closet than our previous one and perhaps slightly less square footage, but it did have the plasma tv, firplace to warm the room, balcany with two chairs and little table, dining area and decorative lamps and mirrors to give it a Swiss-Austiran feel. The carpet feels newer and our view was of the pond rather than straight-on of the mountain. We were satisfied with our room. Our #1 priority is cleanliness and #2 that it is pretty and both standards were met. Our children's #1 priority was that we had another cockoo clock, we did.

There is plenty for a family to do, even in winter: we visited the Waterpark one day (for a family of four, this will run about $100. We went once in the morning and again before bed and did feel that we got our moneys worth in fun. ) There is also a free indoor/outdoor pool which our family enjoyed. I took a neat picture of my family swimming outside with the snow falling and skiiers zooming down the mountain behind them. We also jumped into the outdoor jazcuzzi but it is a freezing two seconds from the heated pool to the jacuzzi!

The hotel also has a spa, 2-level arcade, offers tubing (but it was not ready yet, November is too early in the season they said.) The snow machines worked over-time to make skiing possible this weekend. We did go sledding in Boyne Falls and that was fun. We brought some puzzles and games from home like UNO to play in our room. There is story time in the Library off the lobby and a movie night on Saturday, this time is was "Finding Nemo."

On the down-side, dining is not Boyne Mountains strong suit. They do an excellent job at "Everett's" for breakfast. ($13 per adult for breakfast and $7 for children so come hungry!) This vacation we brought a cooler and took advantage of our fridge and micro in our room. We brought our own beverages, sandwich makings (sandwiches here run $10-12) and snacks. The kitchen in the rooms come with silverware, plates, glasses, a can opener, corkscrew, wine glasses, dish cloths and soap, etc. We even threw in the cooler some frozen dinners and hot dogs and it saved us $$ and I know the dinners I made and froze taste better than what I had the last time we visited in August! We ate at "Everetts" for dinner one evening and the chicken was bland and the pasta did not have any seasoning except butter. The children did not like their dinner there and my husband said his seafood was just "fine." So, bring your own food if you can!

Overall, we love the lodge! Here are my tips to a great stay:
1. Bring at least some of your own favorite foods/treats!!
2. Do not miss the Waterpark if you are bringing children! There is something for all ages!
3. Hit "Everette's" for breakfast, the quality and selection make it worth the price, but the dinner is not worth it!
4. Come in any season and you will find plenty of fun!
5. Contact the hotel directly to make your reservation for the best price. Get lodging-only. If you buy the Waterpark with your room, you may get sick of being wet all day, every day and their free indoor/outdoor pool is fun, too! Soft, warm robes are in the rooms and I saw lots of people wearing them down to the pool and tried it instead of my cover-up. Honestly, nothing is nicer to put on when you are wet and cold than these delicious robes!

I hope these tips save you lots of time and money!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
16  Thank SJL74
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Clean, very comfortable, large living space and bathroom. If you travel with kids we recommend adding waterpark passes, they are well worth the extra cost. Facilities were new and the staff was very helpful.

The only negative was that breakfast was not included.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Our family have stayed at this lodge several times in the past and we are always very pleased with it! We usually go when it is a busy holiday and it still is fantastic, even when it is busy! We have stayed over a Fourth of July weekend, over Labor Day weekend and this past New Years Eve. My kids are ages 2, 10 & 14 and all of them love it. We get a amazing large 2 bedroom suite usually. It has a full kitchen, fireplace and 2 full baths. We love it! My daughter just loves the simulated wave rider at the indoor water park. She keeps going back to it for hours. The Spa is great too, a little pricey but very nice. Breakfast buffet is not as the other review stated (not at least for us), it had a man cooking omelets right in front of you, lots of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and more. Service was typical and food was typical, nothing to complain about. Now, the line for the buffet on one of our stays was long (really long) but it moved rather quickly. But, it was New Years Eve/Day, I expect longer waits. Front desk was fantastic as usual. Truly no complaints. We will be back again soon. Your kids will LOVE IT HERE! Take them and they will thank you for it!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank MaryBabcock
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I was prepared for an experience similar to the Great Wolf Lodge (great for kids, nothing to offer for adults). This was better than expected, I have to say. The rooms were fine, the restaurants were acceptable (we enjoyed Piersons), the spa was very nice, and we especially liked the indoor/outdoor pool, available only for hotel guests.

Be prepared for tons of kids! Ours had great fun at the water park, and it was worth it to stay at the Lodge so they could go back and forth often.

My only real complaint was the breakfast buffet. First it was hard to get seated - apparently the host/hostess also cleans tables...in any case there was always quite a wait. The food was just okay and if you go near the end be prepared for a meager offering - cereals, pastries, and fruit did not get restocked. One time there was a line just waiting for clean plates. There was little alternative - the small coffee shop stocked only pre-packaged items and stale pastries.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank miCann
Reviewed March 31, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for a conference. We were very pleasantly surprised at our room in the main lodge. It was very large, had a mini-kitchen(microwave, mini-fridge, dishes, silverware, coffee pot plus tea, coffee, creamer etc.), very large bathrrom with a huge tub large enough for two. There was an electric remote control fireplace that looked like a real fireplace, mantel, flatscreen TV, and pull out sofa/bed. We also had a balcony with two chairs-although the weather wasn't nice enough to use them. The room was beautifully funished and very clean. In addition, I discovered that the clock radio/cd player had a setting that included sounds---so we awoke to the sound of the ocean, instead of an alarm. The queen bed was comfy and the white duvet, multiple pillows, and sheets were top notch.

In addition to the hotel, they have an inside water park that looked wonderful. We stood and watched all of the families enjoying it. There is a spa on the property, inside/outside pool separate from the water park. In the winter,you can ski and in the summer they have golf.

All in all, it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
#1 of 4 in Boyne Falls
Boyne Highlands Resort
Boyne Highlands Resort
#2 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!