“Avalanche Bay at Boyne Mountain Rocks!!!!”

Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark
More attraction details
Owner description: Opens May 2005.
grosse pointe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Avalanche Bay at Boyne Mountain Rocks!!!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2007

We decided not to head west this winter and instead went North to save on airplane tickets. I have to say, I couldn't believe how beautiful the Mountain Grand Lodge was when we arrived. Awesome down comforters. We had not been up north in a couple of years so the new additions to Boyne were outstanding. It was so great that we could sign our kids up for a combo camp that included ski lessons AND water park time while my husband and I skied and hung out for some quality adult time.
All four of us went in to Avalanche Bay and I cannot believe how fun it was. The surf machine was so much fun to watch as I kicked back with an ice cold beer. The Toilet bowl ride was a blast. I just couldn't believe how much fun I even had. I noticed all ages enjoying the parks attractions. From the rides to the arcade and most importantly the pub, there is fun to be had by everyone. It would be a great place for a girls or guys weekend away or even my husband is going to look into a function for his company.
I have to say... What a great idea!!! to add a water park to Boyne Mountain.

3 Thank bananas07

michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“couple of concerns”
Reviewed December 3, 2006

My kids had fun but I had some concerns with the waterpark. The lifeguards could have been a bit more interested in their job duties. If you make a visit make sure you keep a close eye on your children at all times. Some rides also closed earlier than the parks stated hours. We were informed that there were not enough people in the park to keep the rides open!!! Well they certainly did not give us a discount on our package prices. We have stayed at Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City many times and have had a great time. There waterpark is wonderful and all rides stay open as stated. There are also many wonderful activities for the kids such as a craft center and story time. Great Wolf Lodge would be my suggestion...

7 Thank showcase
charlevoix michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“wear rubber gloves in the bathroom...or better yet a bodysuit...ick ick ick”
Reviewed July 30, 2006

the bathrooms were filthy!! i complained and an hour or so later i saw an employee grabbing dirty towels and wiping up the floor with her feet and the dirty towels...feces on the toilet and urine and hair all over the place...we were afraid to touch anything in the bathrooms...hate the see what the mens bathroom looked like...ick ick ick...def wont go back there!!

6 Thank sexyrepogirl
Ann Arbor, MI
250 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 271 helpful votes
“Great indoor waterpark”
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Avalanche Bay is a great indoor waterpark for the family. It just opened in May 2006 and everything appears to be in working order. There are activities for all ages of kids. The park has long hours and a snack bar inside. The slides and the Rip zone is the best!

2 Thank bcsystems
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great time at Avalanche Bay!”
Reviewed March 15, 2006

Our family went to Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark on March 11 and we all loved it!

It was busy and the longest line was for the Vertigo. This seemed to be the most popular ride. The Vertigo is a ride you travel down a slide in a tube with single or double riders. The tube slide opens up into the "toilet bowl" and the tube rides along the walls and drops you into another opening with a short slide which brings you into the lazy river. Another ride was the downhill racer. On the Downhill Racer, you ride down on a foam mat on 1 of 4 lanes (like the large slides at the county fair). There is an automated announcer to countdown to the buzzer to take off. At the bottom, the announcer lets you know which lane won the race. The kids loved this ride!

There was a rock wall which I saw only operating for a couple hours. A play structure with 2 slides. I don't think the tipping bucket was working at the time since we didn't see any giant flows of water every so often like at other waterparks. There are 2 seperate hot tubs, a mini play structure and kiddie pool with a slide with a thick foam paddding at the landing and basketball net for the little ones.

There was another tube slide you could ride single or double riders which ended just at the start of the the lazy river. A pool with a log to sit/play on, iceberg crossing pad, and basketball pool. The wave rider was popular just to watch the riders boogeyboard or surf on a continuous wave. Some rides would put on a show for the onlookers by doing tricks.

The water temperature was just about right and a little cooler as the night went on. There was also an arcade through other doors near the snack bar. I saw people getting beer/mixed drinks from the bar through another door and bringing them into the waterpark area. There is a 2nd floor which possibly connected to the Grand Mountain Lodge next door. The snack bar had a variety of items such as grilled cheese, nachos, icees, subs, and whole pizzas. It was about $3 for a hot dog, hamburger or slice of pizza. $7 for a meal.

The entrance and information desk was a little congested and confusing at first. The overall layout of the park is a little crowded, but they made the most of the space. The only things to complain about are the restrooms/changing area are a little unkept and the park is a little pricey at $39 a day or $29 for a half day. Definitely not enough tables or chairs to sit in for the amount of people there.

We would definitely go back if we were in the area. Although it had fewer attractions than other waterparks, I recommend Avalance Bay for a good time!

16 Thank BBPIE