“Chemicals made throats close”

Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark
More attraction details
Owner description: Opens May 2005.
Birmingham, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Chemicals made throats close”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

On Friday, Feb. 21, 2014 I visited Avalanche Bay with my daughter and an adult friend. We had all been there several times before and had good experiences. The smell of chemicals was stronger than normal that day. My friend leaned down to get into the hot tub, and his throat closed. He had to run outside to breath. We went upstairs to a hallway that connects two buildings to get air, and found a family we are friends with there too. Their 7-year old son had his throat close after leaning over the hot tub as well. His Dad had carried him outside (10 degrees) to breath. At first, we just thought to get our money back. The employee at the kiosk got a manager on the phone to approve the refund. After 20 minutes and a threat to send them the hospital bill, we got a refund on our credit card. In the middle of our fight with Boyne management, my friend, not able to breath again - just from the chemicals in the air, stepped outside to throw up. The staff member was refunding the money to another family at the same time, for the same reason. The line grew to 30 people wanting to come in. The only comment by the staff member regarding so many people getting sick: "freeky". Putting pieces together, I phoned a friend who had been at the water park the day before. Three of her four children had to be taken out of the park because their throats closed. All three children were playing around the hot tub. I went into the gift shop to find someone who would take this seriously. The employee tried to reach both managers, but was unsuccessful. I went with my daughter and friend to the hotel to find any manager. I spoke with Jason, a hotel manager, who also tried to reach the Avalanche Bay managers. No success. By now, my daughter was also sick. She had a headache "like being hit with a mallet". We were promised that we would be contacted by a manager. This never happened. The next day, I started coughing up globs that tasted like the chemicals in the waterpark. It was crazy. As the employee was giving us our money back for getting sick at his park, he was taking money from another fifty people, including young children, without any warning to them about the risks.

12 Thank diane C

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good park, too expensive”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We have visited several times, but most recently we spent the evening here after skiing in the afternoon. It was the perfect end to a good day. Our boys (8 and 6) are just about the right age for all the rides. They don't get bored, but we don't have to worry about them either. If you don't have a package, stay off site and drive. It will save you a lot of money.

2 Thank Fatki D
Shanghai, China
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ends a perfect day after skiing.”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Great for adults and children. A good range of slides to suit any age and ability of swimming. Our children aged 7 and 10 loved it and spent a good 2 hours in there.

Southfield, Michigan
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great fun, but could lower the cost”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We visited Avalanche during a stay at our timeshare. We were offered three free tickets, then had to pay for a forth to complete our party. I felt that $35 was a bit much for what the park had to offer. You get the basics, but I felt that the place was pretty small. However, the kids had an awesome time despite the lack of slides.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank mickij3
Troy, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“LOVE it”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am not usually a fan of waterparks (germs, crowdedness, etc). but this one is wonderful. they have it layed out very nice so it does not seem crowded. Tons of lifeguards around. we had a 10 and 12 year old and we went to the adjacent restaurant (Apres Ski Pub) while the kids had fun and just checked on them periodically. the kids also can go to the SNack Shack and get a meal for a decent price and not get out of their wet clothes. Also I forgot my kids' bathing suit (silly me) and they have a store right at registration where you can find anything you need. Would highly recommend and we will be back for sure. Great job, Boyne (fyi the hotel pool is also really cool! )

Visited December 2013