“Overall great... but I gave it a poor rating because....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boyne Mountain Ski Area

Boyne Mountain Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: When it's time to plan your next Michigan family vacation or weekend getaway, choose Boyne Mountain and experience the finest skiing, and many more activities for the entire family. BOYNE families enjoy days on the slopes with a full service spa, Solace Spa, and Avalanche Bay indoor waterpark the largest indoor water park in Michigan. Luxurious lodging options provide the ultimate in comfort. Make Boyne Mountain your next ski vacation getaway!
Ottawa, Canada
“Overall great... but I gave it a poor rating because....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I've been to Boyne Mountain Resort numerous times over the years with friends and family for week-long stays using their ski/lodging packages. In the past these stays were fantastic and I highly recommended this location. Unfortunately things have changed and what should have been a great vacation turned into a poor one.

The hills had great snow and the runs were well groomed. The skiing itself was fantastic. However, I had to spend about an hour a day sorting out room charges at the front desk almost every day. It was an exercise of sheer frustration.

I was at Boyne with about 20 other family members. We all had the ski package that included breakfast, lunch and dinner. In past years we would all get meal tickets that could be used at various restaurants. You ate and gave the waiter the ticket. Nice and simple. This year they got rid of the ticket system and instead you needed to sign your meal receipt with your name and room number. In theory, this system sounds really simple and logical. It wasn't.

During the second night of my stay I had asked the front desk to print a copy of my room charges. I immediately noticed that there were 6 dinner charges to my room from the previous night. I asked to see the receipts to figure out what all these charges were. Even though I was staying in room 350, they had put charges from 5 other rooms on my account. Each meal receipt that was charged to my room clearly indicated other rooms (e.g. 356, 250, 252, etc.). I pointed out this error and the staff quickly fixed the charges.

I checked my room charges every evening after that. Every time I checked, there were erroneous charges on my account. I would then wait for the finance department to collect the receipts charged to my room and I would point out to them again and again that the receipts were clearly not from me. Some charges were from rooms on other floors of the resort. This wasted about an hour of my time on the slopes each day.

I complained enough that the front desk manager arranged complimentary massages at their spa for me and my wife. The customer service is pretty good, but their room charging system needs some major changes. The front desk staff admitted to me that they were experiencing numerous errors like this, so I strongly suggest that you review room charges if you stay there.

Who knows how many other guests have paid for erroneous charges!!

Visited February 2014

ohio
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great skiing conditions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I spent a weekend at Boyne in January 2014. Conditions could not have been better. This year has offered a great deal of snow which made a big difference. Over the weekend the area received about 16” of fresh snow. The trails were great and lifts were fast. This is the first time I have skied Boyne and for a Saturday and Sunday, the place was nearly empty. Perhaps this is not the normal weekend with all the snow and single digit high temps, but it was excellent for us.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank mmtripsOhio
Piqua, Ohio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wish they were friendlier”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We've been here twice and have so-so experiences each time. Skiing is pretty decent but staff aren't overly warm and friendly. Place seems to cater to those staying on-site rather than day skiers.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Janet J
Menasha, Wisconsin
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Not friendly, bad food, poorly groomed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have skied Boyne Mountain for over 30 years. The addition of the spa and water park seems to changed the clientele and turned the attention away from skiing. The hills were poorly groomed, the lift operators were not friendly, and the food in the Eagle's Nest was poor, but expensive.
We enjoyed our days at Crystal Mountain and Nub's Nob far more than our day at Boyne Mountain.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Samantha484
Southeast, USA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Have never had such a nice group workers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have not done a lot of ski trips but normally go once a year to a ski area. I used to have my own equipment but now I just rent. Everybody we came into contact at Boyne Mtn was super nice and helpful, from the Ski School personal, Rental equip workers, to the Chair lift operators, everybody was super nice. We were blessed with plentiful snow and everything was excellent.

Visited December 2013