“Great for families” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Massachusetts
“Great for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I spent 5 days in July with a large family group including 6 young children and one very senior citizen. We all had a great time. We stayed in Disciples Court town houses. They were clean, well-stocked and well-laid out, although we did see ants in one of the three houses. There was a lot to do at and around the resort. The kids loved the water park and the tennis courts. We rode the ski lift just for run. There are trails for mountain biking and you can rent bikes right there. The young kids loved the lake -- it's extremely shallow so they can roam a great distance. We took the shuttle bus to the lake. The service was slow, but we weren't in a hurry and it was helpful not to have to drive our cars. There main lawn had some games out and the kids enjoyed playing them. Sadly, there isn't much space for playing around the town houses -- you have to go to the main lawn. So if you're planning to play sports with the family, there isn't really a good place for that. The main restaurants were OK -- great breakfast, great salads, so-so entrees, good range of food for kids. The service was slow, but not more so than in comparable resorts we have been to. Everyone was very friendly, even if they weren't able to provide high-class service. There was also a higher-quality restaurant on the resort at the base of the ski lift which seems to be run separately. Our kids are dying to go back, mostly because of the water park. I think it was a great place for families.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
West Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

This was a group of 12 women on a golf outing. We paid $164 each for 2 nights and 2 rounds of golf. We stayed at the Mountain Villas (alphabet condos) which have 3 bedrooms. 2 bedrooms have 2 double beds each and the third has 1 double bed. Check in is at 6:00 pm, but they let us check in at 11:00 am with no problems. Gave each one of us a room key and each driver a pass with the key code because the Mountain Villas are gated.

We golfed at the Alpine on Friday afternoon, tee times 2:30, but we started early as there was nobody in front of us. Saturday we golfed at Monument, tee time 1:30, but started before 1:00 because the course was empty. There was nobody behind us and nobody in front of us, the courses were very empty. I think all the northern resorts are doing poorly as I seen this last year also.

Both courses start at the top of Boyne Mountain, so it takes about 15 minutes to get there by golf cart. Then you golf all the way down the mountain. Monument is beautiful, at times it was intimidating. Alpine is a very nice course, but not reak challenging.

There is a shuttle you can take to the Casino in Petoskey, just call the lodge about 20 minutes before you want to leave. There is also a shuttle on the resort property that will take you anywhere on the resort. This resort is huge and the shuttle is great if you're drinking.

Housekeeping does not come to the condo unless you call them. We had to call for new towels and toilet paper the second day. We had 2 lower units side by side and neither had enough towels. One didn't have any soap to wash dishes.

It was an ok resort, and for the price we paid, we could put up with the little things that were'nt quite up to snuff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

For the amount of money you pay the experience was horrible. I went with my mom for a spa weekend. Our stay was from Friday, March 19 to Sunday, March 21. The reservation staff was less than helpful when trying to book the room. Upon arriving there was no valet nor was the front desk staff helpful. We had booked a room in the Clock Tower Lodge which is the original lodge. Pics of the damage to the room are attached. This lodge also has real keys not the electronic cards. The heating and cooling system is ancient so the room got up to 87 degrees at one point. I got up to turn it to cool thinking the air would kick in. Nope, turning it to cool and setting the thermostat to 65 made the heat kick in. The hottest it got was 90 degrees at which point I found information on the heating and cooling system (pic attached) that states the only way to cool the room is to open a window. Thankfully we were on the second floor for safety concerns. The hotel front desk at check in gave us a passcode to enter for the gate at the parking lot for the lodge. I asked if there was a security guard. I was told there was one wandering the grounds. Never saw him nor did we need the passcode since the gate was constantly open. When we tried to check out it took two minutes for the front desk clerk to assist us even though there was no one else waiting. Most of the staff doesn't want to be there or care about you. That's very evident. They also have if you look at the website something called the Boyne Bed. It's very hard and not comfortable at all. My mom couldn't sleep the first night with the heat issue and the bed being so hard.

The positives of the resort. There is a man named Roger who assist visitor of the Clock Tower Lodge who is amazing and very knowledgeable of the area. Boyne needs to clone him! The resort is very family friendly. At least on Friday and Saturday nights there are two family movies as well as a campfire with smores from 6-8 pm. The food at Everett's was amazing. Very gourmet Northern comfort food. The food at Pierson's was good too but you have to put up with drunks.

The spa here is amazing. More expensive than what a normal massage is but the service and atmosphere are great.

• Stayed March 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

While the resort has added a new lodge and waterpark, some basic issues detract from the experience. There seems to be a lack of attention to detail in maintaining the village facilities. I think most travelers who have been to Boyne would agree that there is little done to enhance the apre’ ski experience. Facilities are not well maintained or clean. At the base of the mountain ice is allowed to build up to a dangerous level in key high traffic areas. I witnessed several people fall in ice just out side the main service center. There is a general dinginess to the whole village, with the exception of the new facilities I mentioned earlier.
Boyne owns several properties including Big Sky, but appears to treat this operation as a cash cow. While the Midwest is not a great ski destination the resort does have potential as an affordable and convenient alternative. I believe if you provide people with a great overall experience they will come back even if the mountain is less than 500 feet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Indiana, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed from Thursday to Sunday. The rooms are large, clean, and had a fireplace and microwave and small kithenette. Batroom was spacious and clean. The food was much better than my usual expectation at a resort and the service staff was friendly but were always in a rush as they were understaffed.

They could have done better with the number of wait staff.

The waterpark is a nice, not too big and not too small either. I noticed that the water there was warmer over the weekend when there was more crowd ! The water on Friday was COLD ! Skiing is great although is a little walk from the hotel room. They have Ski valet which is convenient and free.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Lansing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

I booked a monday thru Wednesday trip for my family of 4. The web site for Boyne had great week day rates, and it wasnt until we got the resort that we saw why. First off, its not a hotel, its like a small, small village so to speak. Meaning, your hotel room could be in a completely different building than that of the water park, for example. Sure its a short walk, and shuttles are provided, but not ideal for small children with wet heads. During the week, expect to find way less than half of restuarants open. We were limited to a dive off site that served flat pop, and gross, half frozen food, or using one of the only 2 on site restuarants open only from 5- 9. So if you spend the day skiing, hillls only open til 4 pm- you kinda have to rush to hit the pool/water park and get a meal before bed. We actually had to drive to Petosky for breakfast and lunch on separate occasions of our 3 day trip. Basically, during the week services provided, are not all offered. Tubing was another dissappointment we found only offered on the weekends. It just seems odd that a resort such as this, really only offers up all it has to boast 2 days of a 7 day week. I can only imagine how crowded it is on those 2 days. I would look elsewhere for your ski trip. Also, the front desk staff was rude, as well as generally unhelpful. If someone is standing in front of you at the desk, ask them if you can help them.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Rochester, MI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

I loved the Boyne Mountain Resort website and could not wait to stay there with my family last year. Unfortunately, 5 days before we were suppose to be there, we had to cancel our plans due to unforeseen circumstances. I canceled the reservation and inquired about our refund. I was informed that they automatically charge you for the first night stay if you cancel with less than 7 days. But, they keep that amount on a "house" account for one year so you could reschedule. When I attempted to reschedule for late January, 2010 for one night to use my "house" credit, I was informed that I had to book at least a 3 night minimum over a weekend! The agent's suggestion was for me to book a night during the week! My advice to anyone out there is to make really, really sure this is the place you want to be and that you know everything before you book! Also, I would like to echo other reviewers comments about their lengthy wait time for the phone and difficult online reservations. Clearly, this place isn't interested at all in customer service and I will never book here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort

Been to Boyne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!