“Beautiful room/need to work on restaurant service”

Boyne Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our family of 8 rented a 3 bedroom condo in the main lodge. Everything seemed updated and new and clean. Plenty of space for all of us. Lots of fun things to do in the area - we stayed 2 nights. 4 stars because of the service at Everetts restaurant in the hotel lobby. Bartender was not only covering bar but also waiting on tables at the same time and we were lucky to even get a drink. Ultimately we decided to not even eat there because we could not get anyone's attention.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
April R, Manager at Boyne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear llovetravel448,

I wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding your experiences in our Food and Beverage outlets during your recent visit. I will review your feedback on the lacking service you received from our bartender with my management team.

I apologize we did not meet your expectations; it’s always our goal to exceed our guests expectations. Please contact me with any other feedback you may have in the future.

Best Regards,

Mike Doumanian
Director | Food & Beverage
p: 231.549.6874

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Clock Tower lodge on a golf vacation. The room had been freshly painted and updated with new bathroom fixtures and shower. The bed was comfortable but the noise in the hallway was quite audible. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent as was dinner in the Everett room.Golf courses were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the scenery. Would not hesitate to return again.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Just returned from a visit to Boyne where we have vacationed four out of the last five summers and I'm sorry to say it was a great disappointment. For the first time we left with that sometimes familiar "hangover" that goes with the feeling of paying way too much for the services. Our room was only cleaned twice in the course of a four day visit; the usually average food at Everett's was actually bad -- I had a rib eye steak that must have weighed 2 ounces cooked -- I really can't believe they served it. We finally saved up the money to enjoy the Solace Spa and the service was atrocious. The woman checking us in was downright rude and cold, giving us three word answers to our questions; the nail techs were not friendly either. My daughter and I felt "tolerated" at best. There were even a couple of front desk people that were rude and unhelpful. The lodge pool wasn't clean. There was no service at the pool (for drinks) although there's a large sign indicating you can't bring your own beverages in. I called once for service and the waiter seemed miffed that he came all the way to the pool for one drink order since no one at the pool or in my party wanted anything. I've read the other recent negative reviews, as well as the "we were booked to capacity" rationale. But we've always been at a fully booked Boyne Mountain and never experienced it this way at all. So disappointed to find our favorite spot in this condition. Something's up.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank elenavc
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Boyne Mt has it all. We enjoyed the pools, zip lines, golf, and play areas for children. We were part of a conference for a corporation that invited both employees and their families. It all made for great meals, sharing stories, and games for all ages. The staff was kind, professional, and very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the mountain.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a one bedroom with loft condo at disciples ridge in condo 672. Our only complaint about the condo was that we were told there would be a TV in the loft and there was not. It was a real bummer. The condo was updated and looked new. Master suite was wonderful. Very quiet and lots of nature around. We would stay there again. As for the water park, the kids loved it. It was much smaller than we expected, but still fun. Each day we waited 20-25 minutes to get into water park with only 1 to 2 people ahead of us. I mentioned it to the front desk manager at the Grande Lodge and he promised that the water park manager would call me to discuss. We never received a call. Prices at the resort are also very expensive. There is lots to do and luckily many of the activities were included in our package. Kids enjoyed the ski lift, zipline, s' mores and golf. Really a beautiful area! Lovely the beautiful 20 minute drive to Petoskey and found an amazing coffee shop called roast and toast. Amazing fresh homemade food and worth the drive. Also a great place to see Lake Michigan.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I visited this resort for many years. Long before I had a family of my own and long before the Mountain Grand was built. It was always the "place to go" up north. This year was my family's 5th year staying in a Salzburg, 3 bedroom suite at the Mountain Grand from August 2 - 6. The conditions in room 389 were deplorable. Missing light bulbs, missing tiles around the fireplace, missing cabinet facade, and part of the refrigerator (on the bottom) was falling off! The floors and toilets were not clean. I made numerous phone calls to have these items dealt with. Many times, the management said they've been booked to capacity and their housekeeping only had time to turn the rooms over. Well, this resort is not cheap! The Salzburg is $389-425 per night! In many places, that rate is 5 star. On top of that, the resort fees are outrageous! And the resort areas are no longer pristine and tidy either. The pool area was dirty, used towels adorned the pool deck, the chairs were scattered about. Hallways and stairways hadn't been cleaned in a long time. In years past, keeping the pool area neat and tidy was a production we enjoyed watching. When I mentioned my concerns to management they were stuck on the fact that the resort had been filled to capacity. I even had management visit our room, he took pictures of the broken items and said he would follow up before we departed. He never did. He even went on to say that all those units are individually owned (Boynes time share program). We've stayed at Marriott Vacation Clubs and they are in fantastic shape! I will say, a Supervisor named Lee gave us a resort credit of $250. It was a nice gesture but we will not stay at this lodge again. We will pay more and stay at the new cabins. Sorry Boyne, time to get with the program. I will say, the Beach House and Deer Lake are fantastic. Our family went Zip lining too and that was great.

Room Tip: My advice, pay more $$ and find an updated condo unit at Disciples or a new unit at Creekside or the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jackie L
grapes2007, Manager at Boyne Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Jackie L,
Thank you for being a guest of our resort and for bringing these items to our attention. It is always a disappointment to find that we did not meet the expectation of one of our guests and to find that we missed the mark in so many areas is indeed frustrating. Your experience is not typical of what is experienced buy our guests and although we had some missteps here, our philosophy is to “make things right” and not to offer excuses. I have been in contact with all the members of the team involved and have hopefully coached them into more timely and better customer service and a better understanding in what those standards are. I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience and hopefully win you back as a loyal customer. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Roy Haworth
231-549-6069

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Fantastic hotel. Great view any time of year has lots of amenities. Great food with many dining options. Unfortunately high in cost. Has a lot of things to do with no disappointment but all options are pricey. If cost is not an issue fantastic value. Pools are nice and warm with great view. Everyone is friendly and willing to assist. Starbucks on site. Waterpark is entertaining.

Room Tip: Mountain lodge has no bad views. If in clock tower mountain side is more relaxing view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
#7 of 15 in Petoskey
Boyne Highlands Resort
Boyne Highlands Resort
#2 of 4 in Harbor Springs

Been to Boyne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!