“Ants, old, dirty, understaffed......”

Boyne Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Chicago, Illinois
“Ants, old, dirty, understaffed......”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've stayed in the Grand Lodge a couple of years ago (dated and overpriced), Village at Disciples Ridge last November (not a bad condo, relatively clean however, dated and in need of little repairs). I just got back from a weekend at Boyne, this time a condo at Edelweiss. WOW. Not a good experience. The condo was very dated, not very clean, ants well established around the kitchen sink, a very slow running master bedroom sink, and sadly, the front desk staff on Sunday morning was terribly understaffed. There was one person for checkouts and phone calls. Waiting 15 minutes in front of an empty desk is not good. Especially, when the staff person finishes with one guest, leaves two of us standing there whilst she ran to some back office to take the call. I finally summoned the hostess at the restaurant to fetch the young lady. Although I was making 'noise' about this letting the staff know I wasn't pleased, the customer in front me let me know she would never come back to Boyne.

I've booked at Village at Disciples Ridge again for this November. We'll see how this goes. Must say after spending my summers in Boyne Falls only dreaming that my family was rich enough to stay at Boyne, now that I can afford to stay at Boyne, I've disappointed at the accommodations and the lack of value offered. As a seasoned traveler it's very sad to see what was and still could be a 'grand dame' of a resort turn into nothing more than a dated, dirty destination.

I hope management takes note of the complaints by myself and others and works to clean, upgrade, and properly staffs the properties. I've considered joining BlueGreen at Boyne, but based on what I've seen over the last couple of years it is highly unlikely that I would make that kind of investment.

Room Tip: At this point, I would never book one of the Edelweiss condos again. The Grand Lodge is average and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NP13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Allendale, Michigan
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Grand Lodge in the Arlberg Suite. We requested a rollaway and were immediately impressed that it was in the suite when we arrived. The suite was great. King size bedroom upstairs with bath, lower level had sofa sleeper, fireplace, kitchenette, second bathroom, and balcony. Clean, room to spread out and comfortable. My Husband and son did the ziplines. Not just the lines that go over the fishing pond, but the 2 1/2 hr. line excursion. They both loved it. We went swimming and kayaking at Deer Lake. Row boats, sailboats and kayaking are free. We took the chairlift to the top and saw people using trails for walking and jogging. The pool is saltwater and was very warm. There are a lot of free activities, so we never went to the water park (our kids are older teens). The food was great at their different restaurants (we ate at three different places on site). The only complaint is the place seems to shut down early in the evening. They need to have their shops open later and activities other than the pool available at night. It's a short drive to Petoskey, so we went shopping in the downtown district there in the evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights and had plenty to do. There are various activities that are free on the property, like making s'mores, the chair lift and movie night. The waterpark was the favorite of the kids. We didn't try the zipline, but many people were and it looked like a lot of fun. We took a day trip to little traverse bay, which I highly recommend doing.
There a couple of little shops in "the village", on the the property and a gift shop in the main lodge. The only thing I thought was weird is that the shops all close by 9pm and all activities are over... Even on Friday and Saturday night. After the waterpark we thought we would browse the gift shop or go to the game room... Nope! All closed. The outdoor pool is open til 11, so that's all there is do after 9.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Annually I visit a Northern Michigan resort for an organizational meeting. Boyne had the best service of any of the properties. Although the property was older the rooms had modern fixtures and great mattresses and bedding.

The families attending our event were thrilled with the opportunity for youth and child recreation. The food at all venues was superb including a quick sandwich from the convenience store.

Two complaints
They have installed "green" light bulbs that barely illuminate the room, I would have hated to visit in winter and not had the advantage of the long daylight of July to light my room.

Second the golf course had difficulty handling the midday post meeting crunch of volume. But the staff was polite and hardd working.

I would highly recommend this as a family destination

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manistique
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My sister, her son, my grandson & I spent one night at the resort- we were meeting other family members and she got us our room with points from her time share. We thought it was great! We were a little surprised about the stairs not being painted or varnished but she explained that was because of the skiers in the winter. We spent the day at Avalanche Bay, had dinner at the Beach House Restaurant and then strolled around the resort for a bit in the evening. We didnt' have time to do any of the other free activities but there seemed to be alot to do. We totally enjoyed our time there and have no complaints.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked a King Suite in the Grand Lodge July 15 - 18th. Check in good, asked to change rooms but when we got to the new room it was not made up so took the original room. The "suite" had a second floor bedroom and bathroom - no windows at all, which I found strange, but at least dark for sleeping. Room was very dated and needed a good cleaning - cobwebs on lights - lots of piled dust on the light switches and floor boards, bird droppings on the balcony area. Sofa on main floor could use a good cleaning as well. King bed very comfortable for sleeping. No in room safe so no where secure to leave your valuables when not in the room.

Lots to do for families with the waterpark, pools, zip lining, biking etc. Deer Lake was nice as well for a beach option. Next time I think we would book the zip lining adventure as anyone we talked to that did this loved it. We golfed 3 courses in the area - fabulous golfing. Really liked Monument course as you start at the top of Boyne Mountain - great views. No GPS or maps of the course, but we managed to not get lost and enjoyed the course.

Used the pool a couple of times - not a problem getting a lounge chair and towels are provided for pool use. The pool temperature was quite warm so not as refreshing on a hot day, but still nice.

Great shuttle service to the Odawa Casino in Petoskey - Would definitly us this again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We are staying in the Clock Tower for one night. For $183.00+ tax, I'm amazed at how outdated & shabby the room is. On the upside they were very accommodating with a late checkout. Last time we were here, we stayed in another building that was not the main lodge & also a a throwback to the 70's.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 15 in Petoskey
Boyne Highlands Resort
Boyne Highlands Resort
#2 of 3 in Harbor Springs

Been to Boyne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!