“Great Birthday Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Big Rapids, Michigan
“Great Birthday Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Took my daughter and two of her friends for her birthday. Our room was great, the girls had two beds on one room and I had my own bed in the adjoining room, there was a microwave, fireplace, minifridge, tv just perfect for a sleepover party. The decor of the room reminds me of a German grandmother's house all the way down to some chunky wooden chairs with hearts cut out of the back, but it was really homey in a "it's fun to go to German grandmas house" way. Avalanche bay was a huge hit with the girls, and the ziplining was amazing. The first time I shut my eyes tight and screamed the entire way, by the end I was hanging upside down. The guides were fun and entertaining, it's a must do. The only downer, head into Boyne city for food. The hotel food was not good. Oh and we had a wedding underneath our room that played 80's music until midnight, but I fell asleep to it. However, if that sort of thing bothers you ask to be on the other end of the hotel away from the banquet room

Room Tip: If they are having a wedding, go to the other side of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Muskegon, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Our family (2 adults, 3 kids) stayed at Boyne this past weekend. We reserved a 2 bedroom condo in the Mountain Villas and added the splash package so we could go to the waterpark. Also, we found out that Skitober fest was happening during our stay. Free chairlift rides (great for seeing the beautiful fall colors), street performers, music, kids crafts and beer, wine and food tastings and much more. We didnt get to spend a lot of time there, but are planning to go back next year just for the Skitober festival.
I was nervous to reserve a condo as some of the reviews on here wer not that good. However I was very pleased. We arrived at 3:30 and we told we could check in immediately, and when we got to our condo, it was much better than expected. We had 337F and it was steps from Avalanche bay and right at the base of the mountain, so easy access to the chairlifts in the winter. Everything in the condo was well kept up and the fireplace worked great. The bedding was heavenly! The decor was a bonus, as was the kitchen, well stocked with everything you'd need to cook and eat with.
The kids enjoyed the waterpark, and we found that even though there were plenty of people there, it never felt crowded I will say I agree with other reviewers in that the lifeguards could be more pleasant, but when youre trying to keep people from drowing all day, I'm sure it can make you crabby!
We look forward to coming back and my son wants to come to the waterpark for his birthday :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mountain Villas in 337F (two bedroom suite) and were right next to the main lodge...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Beautiful fall setting with brilliant colors. Management opened chairlift to the top for an extra perk. Hotel is great, food was good and the extra services were super. Visit the salon/spa if you have time- the Fall Harvest Pedicure is wonderful!! and don't miss Kilwin's for ice cream or candy or caramel corn. We weren't pleased with our initial condo quality and were switched quickly to a much nicer unit. Thank you to the owners of Condo C399 for a clean and updated unit.

Room Tip: If you are not staying in the main lodge, ask for a condo with a rating of 9 or 10 out of 10.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Northern Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed at two different locations within the Boyne Mt. property. The first was a large suite in the main lodge. The room was awesome. The first leve had a full bath, a full kitchen area and in the living room there was a beautiful gas log fireplace. The large balcony over looked the pool area. Upstairs there was another full bathroom and three bedrooms. The master had a King size bed, another room had a queen and the third was a kids themed bunk room with two sets of bunks. This was great for our bachelorette party...we had plenty of room to hang out and to sleep.

The second place I stayed was in a condo in a newer development. This was a stay with the bride and bridesmaids the night before the wedding. The condo was adorable and spacious. There was a large kitchen, a decent size living room area. There were only two bedrooms. One was the master and it had a king size bed and large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a large glass enclosed shower. In the second bedroom there were two queen beds. There was another full bathroom in the hallway and there was a laundry closet with a washer / dryer. There was also a private patio. It was just the right size for 9 girls. We had two hair stylists come the next morning to do hair and also two photographers and honestly with all 13 of us in the kitchen / living room area it was not too crowded.

Room Tip: If I were traveling with my kids, I would probably opt to stay in the Main Lodge. Besides the pool...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Momma22boys
Redford, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

There were 5 children and 2 adults. I was highly dissapointed in the condo we stayed in. The place was so outdated for the price we paid. Some of the lights didn't work and the place smelled of mildew. The children enjoyed the waterpark. If i had known that the condo was like that we could have stayed at a hotel of the property.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Reception had no record of my payment, so the clerk had to call my office and several of her own offices. She eventually just pushed the key over the counter toward me while she was still on the phone.

No elevator in the "Edelweiss" building--drag your own bags up the cramped stairwell. Knobs/locks on the room doors are bed/bath interior locksets--completely unsuitable for hotel rooms (I can't believe they meet the building code for hotels.) Room decor makes "dated" seem like an upgrade--it is suicidally depressing. The room feels like a cell in a psych hospital. Not even a bedskirt--exposed metal frames. Beat-up forty-year-old furniture, stains and scars on everything. Walls are institutional seafoam green and dirty as hell. TV is ancient and tiny. Bathroom is reasonably clean but tiny and ugly. I think the fixtures are older than I am, and I am not a spring chicken. The chair I am currently sitting in seems to have missing parts; wobbles and has unraveling upholstery.

Well, the carpet seems new-ish and the room is adequately sized, but that doesn't quite make up for the grungy feel of the place. I'll take a few Prozac and maybe it will seem nicer.

Room Tip: The Edelweiss building will make you want to kill yourself.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Jason_KZ_MI
Midland, mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We use to go to Boyne Mountain twice a year on Summer and Winter time. Each time is a real pleasur but we can do a lot of activities, for kids and for adults. The location is gorgeous, the personal very pleasant. The waterpart is a big plus when the weather is no nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Stafford's Perry Hotel
Stafford's Perry Hotel
#2 of 15 in Petoskey
Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Run at Boyne, an  Ascend Resort

Been to Boyne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!