“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Grand Blanc
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were in Bloomfield Hills to visit a museum and I looked up restaurants to eat nearby. I was excited because Pizza Papalis had Chicago style pizza. I would have rather eaten at any other pizza place. It was not that great. The pepperonis were really tiny and not very tasty and the crust was crunchy when it should have been soft. I'd rather go to Guido's!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Wiva34

Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“LOVE this pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a huge deep dish pizza fan...other than a pizzeria in Chicago, this place makes the best I've ever had. Just the right amount of crispiness on the bottom of the crust, fresh toppings and baked to perfection!

Visited November 2012
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Best Chicago Style pizza in Metro Detroit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

They've changed the sauce a bit giving it something a bit spicy or kick. Kind of peppery. Not really my choice, I like sweet sauce. Even so, I still love the pizza. Sauce on top, fresh tasting items (the VIP is my choice), and plenty of cheese. You'll drop twice as much or more, money then if you went to any other pizza place, but you'll get twice as much and the quality won't compare.

It is not your 'once a week' pizza, at least not for me, but when I want a high quality pizza, this is my 'go to'.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank 69-Mach1-lvr
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Simply Awesome Pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

I've been to Greektown and here ... often. There's no difference in the pizza.

Excellent, thick, rich pizza. I've never had pizza from Chicago, but, this is by far, the thickest pizza I've ever had, a true PIE. All in reverse order: toppings, then chees, then sauce, then spices. If you have had Keish, the pie is that tall.

We get a Medium for me, wife, and 2 toddlers. There's leftovers for the next day. Wife eats 1 slice, me 3. About a 1/3 is left over.

But bring the wallet. A medium VIP will run you north of $20. Not an every week pizza. Check full menu with prices on their web site: wwww.pizzapapalis.com And FYI, the name of the place does not have any spaces in it. They capitalize the second P which probably threw the original poster off.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Detroit, Michigan
“Delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizza outside of Chicago!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I don't understand why this place hasn't been reviewed in such a long time, but the deep dish was deelilcious!! Husband and I came here recently for the first time, and considering that our first visit was a few months back at the original Greektown location, we were hoping for the same wonderful experience.

We ordered a medium deep dish with spinach, chicken breast, garlic, and onions ($27.42). It was pretty big, but we anticipated this, but man, I didn't realize that it would be so heavy! That sucker was filled! Anyway, we took it to go (as it was getting close to quittin' time for the staff) and on the drive home, both Husband and I commented on how lovely it smelled. We really couldn't wait to dig in!

Opening the box, the smell was awesome. We really appreciated the craftmanship of the pizza. The one we had in Detroit was a little sloppier in execution (granted that it was a much larger one), but what really stood out about tonight's pizza was that the crust wasn't burnt and it was not mushy. The toppings proportion to sauce, cheese and crust was well-balanced so you never felt like you were eating just crust and tomato sauce. The sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top was a nice addition to the overall flavor of ingredients.

In the end, we will definitely be coming back to this location, as it is not as far of a drive for us compared to the original Greektown location. Service was still great even though we picked it up 15 minutes to closing time. Ingredients tasted fresh and the chicken breast wasn't dry or rubbery. Next time, we will probably just dine in.

So, if you're in a mood for Chicago-style deep dish pizza, hop on over here! You won't leave hungry!

• Visited March 2012