“Exceptional customer service and the most luxurious bed ever”
Review of The Townsend Hotel

The Townsend Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Toronto, ON
“Exceptional customer service and the most luxurious bed ever”
Reviewed September 25, 2005

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Townsend on a business and was fortunate enough to stay in a suite which had the largest most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I've never been so happy to have jetlag to make excuses to go to bed early.

Aside from this treat I have to say that the customer service was exceptional, no detail was spared, the staff greeted me by name in the dining room, we used the conference facilities and the staff were excellent and thorough, the checkin never failed to greet me before helping the attending to each request and the concierge arranged and rearranged transportation for me as my schedule changed.

My only negative comment would be that I was told the fare to the airport would be $70 including tip and it turned out to be $90.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank Toni05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed June 9, 2005

- I have to say we never even got to the hotel. We live locally near the hotel and made reservations for our wedding night at the Townsend - it is quite a tradition from what I was told that if you are staying in town the night of the wedding, the Townsend is the place to go.
- They were aware it was our wedding night - they called the day of the wedding to tell us our room had 'flooded' and they had no other rooms available - 'sorry' They did absolutely nothing to help us find another room. I called and left several VM's with management with no response. I finally managed to reach someone who told us they would send a gift certificate to compensate us (I'm not sure how you can do that - its not like we are going to get remarried just so we can stay at that hotel on our wedding.)
-To date, we have never rec'd any gift certificate from them.

Stayed May 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed September 6, 2004

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. The staff was wonderful and we really enjoyed the in-room breakfast! The location is perfect for shopping, etc. As another person mentioned, the A/C is VERY loud and for this to be a 5-star Preferred Hotel (one of the top 70 hotels worldwide) it would seem like they would modify their A/C system so that their guest could have a peaceful night. I really enjoyed their fitness center. The room decor is really dated.

This was my first time staying at a 5-star hotel. I really couldn't tell much difference from staying here verses staying at a 4-star Priceline room except for the price and the attentive staff at this hotel. I think the Townsend is way OVERPRICED! The amenties are about the same as a 4 star Priceline rooms that I've stayed at.

6 Thank MichiganBound
Reviewed August 7, 2003

The Townsend was a bit of a disappointment. It touts itself as one of the T&L's 500 best hotels in the world but that title must be dated. I found my luxury suite tired and shabby. The plugs in the bath and sink were broken. The white marble around the sink in the bathroom was stained yellow with age and the ancient air conditioning system (housed in an ugly formica box by the bedroom window) is very loud and goes on and off at will making it difficult to sleep. Having said that, the staff at the Townsend are a delight, particularly Chuck at the bar in the Rugby Grille and Rosemary at the front desk. If you decide to stay here... steer clear of the suites and ask for a recently renovated room.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2003

I stayed at the Towsend Hotel on business for two nights in a suite.
The hotel and room was very well appointed. It looks very similiar to the Ritz-Carlton. My suite had a sitting area and bedroom with a marble bath. The bell staff was excellent and provided great insight about the area restaurants. Upon checking, I was escorted to my room and shown all the benefits of the room.

I had only a few concerns. One complaint is about the hotel was the loudness of adjacent hotel rooms when the entry door was closed. One can hear the thud and sometimes voices in the hallways. Secondly, I requested additional soap and shampoo and it was never delivered.

All and all, I would recommend the hotel to others. The hotel exudes a small boutique feeling with fine appointments to the lobby area as well as the rooms.

4 Thank Musubifan
Reviewed June 19, 2003

I only spent a single night at the Townsend hotel in Birmingham, but it was a truly memorable hotel experience. The Townsend is dignified and elegant with lots of marble, dark woods, and a fireplace. It pampers you with Aveda bath products and a luxurious, over-sized soaking tub and marble floors. I've been fortunate enough to have been in several four star hotels, and this one had the finest bathroom I've ever seen..It has two restaurants, both offering the highest qualitiy foods as well as fine single malt scotches to rare bourbons. The staff was friendly, and the rooms extremely comfortable. The small city of Birmingham offers many pleasant shopping and dining diversions. This is a great place to stay in the Detroit metro area.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Clarkston, MI
Reviewed September 30, 2002

We recently celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary at the Townsend Hotel. We were completely satisfied with our dinners and our servers. The menu is pricey, but worth the cost as the meals were delicious and beautifully presented. Our servers were very professional and friendly. The only negative comment would be that if you are dining in the outer part of the restaurant, you might find a lot of traffic in the aisle by your table. We, however, did not find it offensive that evening and we will surely go back again for a special evening.

4 Thank Mindtraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
MGM Grand Detroit
#1 of 3 in Rochester
Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Henry, Autograph Collection

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!