“A gift but a nice one”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Northampton, United Kingdom
“A gift but a nice one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here on a special occasion so didn't pay for the hotel ourselves, therefore commenting on value for money is a little unfair. However, we both enjoyed our stay. The room was a good size, the extra's such as the products in the bathroom, robes, slippers etc were all excellent, the mini bar well stocked and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was delivered to our room the next morning and was very good. We were also given champagne and strawberries as a gift by family and these were excellent. If I were being really critical I'd say the hotel is more traditional, e.g. it is not an overly modern place but the quality of the furnishing is high. I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear 8338y,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at The Townsend Hotel in "walkable" Birmingham, Michigan!

On behalf of all of our associates, I thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Happy Holidays!

The Townsend Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Amelia Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Out if town wedding party stayed here for elegant wedding at nearby country club. Hotel was the site of Friday night rehearsal dinner (100+) and morning-after brunch, which were delicious and well planned. Hotel was flawless although a bit expensive for my normal tastes. For a pre- and -post wedding site it was perfect. Birmingham also offers much in boutique shopping and small-town feel.

• Stayed November 2013
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you DGammel for your kind comments!

We thank you for staying with us and look forward to having you return!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Nothing but the best service at The Townsend hotel. Lizz Smith and the staff were amazing (hands down). The hotel really knows how to make you feel like you're on vacation. I will definitely make sure when we come back in town we'll be staying there. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for making our reception a night to remember.

• Stayed November 2013
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on your stay and your reception at The Townsend!

I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful weekend and we look forward to having you return! I will certainly let Ms. Liz Smith know of your comments!

Dundas, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed at the Townsend during a recent business trip. The hotel is lovely and the location in downtown Birmingham is a good choice for the greater Detroit area. Service at the Townsend was a standout with one exception (noted below).

We reserved a luxury suite and found it to be well equipped and nicely appointed. While the quality of the hotel itself was good and the service excellent, I rate the value as average, as the price-point for me pushes the outer limit given the locale of metro-Detroit ---even if it is in Birmingham which is admittedly about as good as it gets in SE Michigan.

The exception to the service excellence was experienced on the morning of checkout. Check out time is noon. My husband was at a business meeting and I was engaged in business calls from our room. Staff knocked on our door FOUR times between 10:30 and 11:30, thinking/hoping we had checked out. I had to put my business call on hold to answer the door ,only to be told 'sorry'.... Better communication with staff on who has vacated rooms and who remains is required. Agree with other reviewers on the wifi charges --- if you want to be a boutique luxury hotel, you don't charge guests for wifi.

If you like a hotel with some character and Euro-style elegance, the Townsend is a good choice, just put the do not disturb sign on your door and use you're own data plan!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Good Day Stacey A.,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Birmingham and The Townsend Hotel. I appreciate you were so kind enough to share your experiences regarding your stay.

Please accept my apologies regarding the knocking on your door during your stay. It is certainly not indicative of the fine quality of service we are known for and try to maintain. I will also certainly take into consideration your comments on the Wifi charges.

I look forward to the opportunity of meeting you personally on your next visit!

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you home to The Townsend Hotel in the future.

Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. The décor is spectacular, the service is superb, the location is ideal, the staff is attentive and you will definitely pay for it. This is definitely the place to stay if someone else is paying your expenses. My only negative comment is that they do not have an indoor swimming pool. If this were the case, then I would give it a "six star" rating. The attached restaurant has excellent cuisine but it is very expensive. An appetizer, salad and a bottle of wine cost nearly $100.00.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to one of the suites. Avoid prom night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel M
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Mr. Daniel M,

Thank you for staying for us on your recent trip to "walkable" Birmingham, MI!

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Townsend Hotel and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Townsend last week and it was like sleeping on a cloud!! I want the specs to that bed!! LOL. The people were great. My only comment for improvement would be for them to have the iHome iPhone charger, the one that they had was only for an ipod (who uses those anymore? lol). And it was my luck that my friend and I both forgot our chargers. Otherwise a great place thank you!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Special K,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay at The Townsend Hotel in "walkable" Birmingham!

When you return, we can certainly provide you with information on how to purchase our bedding. We have also already purchased several I-phone chargers for your use and future guest use!

Thank you again for staying with us!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a beautiful boutique hotel. Located in Birmingham, Michigan which is a suburb NE about 35 minutes from the airport. There are many quaint shops, salons and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. This hotel receives many celebrity guests because it is the nicest hotel within the Detroit area. We stayed in a suite which was beautiful and very spacious it included a separate sitting area. They have a very nice workout facility for a hotel of this size. We stayed here for a wedding and the food was very good. The hotel features an afternoon tea. We did not do the afternoon tea but apparently it is pretty popular. Hotel does have valet parking for about $28 however, you can self park at a lot across the street from the hotel for $10 per night. Everyone on staff was very friendly and welcoming. If were ever in the area again we would definite stay here. I think the rates can be pricey, not really sure what they are because we had a special group rate.

Room Tip: There are two buildings I don't know if they were both built at the same time. They are connecte...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear afamily04,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay!

We appreciate you staying with and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Townsend and "walkable" Birmingham,MI!

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
MGM Grand Detroit
#1 of 3 in Rochester
Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Henry, Autograph Collection

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!