“Completely over-rated and expensive!”
Review of The Townsend Hotel

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Los Angeles, California
“Completely over-rated and expensive!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was told it was amazing... And came away very disappointed. Our view from room 314 looked like a prison, we heard every door open and slam on the floor, the elevator door, people talking in the corridor all night... and for breakfast I was asked to come back because they were full and they were fully booked for afternoon tea. As a paying guest at the hotel.. I think that's unacceptable and won't stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Simon L
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Simon L,

Thank you for your comments and for staying with The Townsend Hotel on your recent visit to the Birmingham area.

We certainly apologize you were unhappy with your room accommodations and that you had to wait for restaurant reservations. If you had spoken to one of our receptionists we would have certainly made an attempt to move you to another room. We also strongly encourage advanced reservations as The Rugby Grille Restaurant and our Afternoon Tea service are both quite popular venues in Birmingham.

Please contact me directly should your travels return you to the area so I can personally oversee your arrangements.

Again, our apologies.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Laguna Beach-sarasota
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed as guest if friend, so really didn't mention Preferred hotel Membership.
Stall courtesy and politeness very uneven. Lovely room amenities in suite. Should have had warning upon reservation re all street work outside on Saturday morning. Tough to enjoy wonderful bedding with all the noise. Rated 4 stars, but service at front desk, is maybe 3 star.....doing me a favor ! Good restaurant/ bar area.....seems to have steady banquet biz ....strong local following, highly recommended by locals as THE place to stay....hard to argue with that, as its only four star in the area.

Room Tip: Not many floors to avoid street noise.......but try.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Zforall,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the Birmingham/Detroit area and your constructive comments regarding your stay!

Birmingham is in its last week of local street repair (finally!) and we do apologize that they started so early on the weekend. We were also not aware this would occur!

I am also sorry to hear that our reception associates did not live up to your expectation as it certainly not indicative of the fine quality of service they normally provide.

Thank you for your kind comments on our Rugby Grille Restaurant and the bar area! Both are very popular in the local area!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the this hotel over a long weekend for a family wedding. It is an older boutique hotel which has been nicely redone. Our king room was large and spotless. The bathroom was really nice with upscale toiletries. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable regarding the hotel and the area. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Chinesemama1,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent visit! Weddings at The Townsend are a wonderful experience and we are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Troy, Michigan
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We won a "Romantic Weekend" at The Townsend at a local charity event. I thought I knew already about all the amenities of this beautiful hotel from several past high level business functions at their conference facilities. I was amazed to learn in addition about their incredible eye for details, beauty and convenience. We were very professionally and kindly welcomed and felt almost like on our honey moon trip in Europe.
This was truly a special treat that I would recommend to anybody who wants to escape the typical hotel atmospheres that you find elsewhere. Old-world charm combined with new world high tech and luxury.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reinhard L
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Reinhard L,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Townsend!

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and on behalf of all of our associates, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here overnight for a birthday treat, and had dinner with my girlfriends. We had dinner at the Rugby Grille. Fabulous wine list! They have wonderful Korean beef "egg roll" appetizers! I love the Salmon and the Dover Sole is classic! Because I was there for my birthday, they took special care of me. When I went to my room, there was strawberries dipped in white and dark chocolate and a bottle of champagne, all complimentary!!! They even took my car to the local car wash in Birmingham to be washed for me, gratis!! They are also right across the street from a very nice spa where I had a mani-pedi and the Townsend Hotel concierge booked it for me. The rooms are beautiful and classic. It is a very nice small boutique type hotel and I recommend it!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Many thanks again for your kind comments regarding your most recent stay at The Townsend Hotel and the Rugby Grille! We appreciate you staying with us!

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very comfortable place in an upscale town center.
Has all the polish and well trained staff one would expect from a Preffered Hotel.
We travel with our little dog and not only did the Townsend gladly admit him, but had a doggie bed, bowls, water and treats layed out and awaiting him.
The rooms were well sized and well furnished.and the bed very comfortable.
Our suite had a small balcony which added to the comfort.
A number of good restaurants within an easy walk..
Worth a commute to Detroit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Good Day Venamo,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Townsend Hotel in "walkable" Birmingham! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

The Townsend
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you're headed to the Detroit area, stay at The Townsend Hotel, if you can afford to do so. The price for the room is a bit steep, but worth every penny. The beds are plush, the pillows generous, and the attention to detail is outstanding. Slept the best I had in the five nights I was in town for business!

The cost for valet parking overnight was overpriced. Other than that, every time I stay there, it is a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Bearina,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at The Townsend Hotel!

I am delighted that overall we met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to walkable Birmingham, MI and The Townsend Hotel!

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
MGM Grand Detroit
#1 of 3 in Rochester
Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Henry, Autograph Collection

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!