“The best!”
Review of The Townsend Hotel

The Townsend Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Birmingham is a charming town. Best time to visit is Spring or late Summer/early autumn. Great shopping, good restaurants, safe, pedestrian friendly. The Townsend is as good as it gets. Terrific bar/lounge, great restaurant, terrific service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with balcony are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We would agree that Birmingham is a charming town. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Townsend Hotel

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have been staying at this gem of a hotel for nearly 20 years. It has always delivered a very high standard in all areas. Every member of the staff is completely focused on you and your stay. Yes it is pricey. However should you be able to see fit to know that the price is worth every penny this hotel will allow you to have a wonderful stay. Don't miss the house made chips in The Rugby Grill!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the post! We are delighted to be of service to you during your stays. We look forward to more in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Beautiful hotel with 5 star quality and service is always consistent. I stay here primarily for business meetings but could see it being a lovely weekend getaway with my husband. I checked in and they didn't have a room in my category ready so was upgraded to a beautiful suite with small balcony. It was spacious with a couch and desk in the living room area. We used the Hunter boardroom for our meeting and had lunch served to us there from the Rugby grill. Excellent food and service and a very comfortable and beautiful boardroom. My room was very nice and the bed extremely comfortable. I came back from dinner to a wonderful turndown service with a fabulous box of chocolate on the bed as well. Room service for breakfast was prompt and delicious. My only nitpick is a hotel of the quality should have a stand alone, walk-in shower. The shower was in the tub with a flimsy cotton curtain that pulled around and kept blowing in on me. Otherwise a fabulous stay as always. Seabronetta (sp?) at the front desk has been a fixture at this hotel and always greets with a smile and is very friendly. She is memorable!

Room Tip: The upgraded suite is wonderful! No idea on price as I was here on business and room was taken care...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in regards to your stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you had an excellent time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Overall, the hotel is quite nice. Rooms are large and clean. Restaurant was fine. But my room (and several rooms around it) on the second floor were right above the garage, with its motorized garage door that opened and closed as cars drove in and out. There was heavy traffic on a weekday until about 12:30 at night. It started again at 4 AM. It shook the room and made very loud noises. When I informed the staff in the morning, they didn't seem to much care, though they said they would report it to their GM. I barely got an apology. Avoid rooms 205, 207 and 209 for sure!

Room Tip: High floor
4  Thank SFreviewGuy

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your stay. Unfortunately, you stayed with us at a time when we were having issues with our garage door. We do apologize for the inconvenience druing your stay and look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

For holidays, special events, and so forth, when we cannot accommodate friends and family at our own address, we always recommend they stay here.

The rooms are all nicely kept, comfortable, and reasonably priced considering the amenities and services. We also enjoy their restaurant, and from time to time enjoy drinks at their cozy bar.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for entrusting your valued guests with us. We look forward to continuing to be of service.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I called about a problem with the hotel and asked for the General Manager. I was transfered to his office, his assitant answered.
I told her I would like to speak with the GM and 'no one else' and guess what......6 hours later a manager of a department called.

It took 6 hours for anyone to call me then I was passed on to a department when I asked not to be.

They have no competition and act as so

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron J
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

We do apologize that you were unable to speak with our Managing Director as he was out of town at the time and we wanted to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible. We do hope to have you as our guest soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

European charm and elegance as others have noted. Staff is fantastic - everywhere - 5 star treatment from everyone. I was there for 10 days, so I should know. Lots of stuff within walking distance. Bedding is top-shelf. Food is outstanding. Room service will make you anything from the Rugby Grill, but they don't have the Rugby Grill menu in the rooms. They told me they change it too often and that's why. Rugby Grill is awesome. Would recommend to anyone wanting charming, upscale hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind words, as nice as this experience was we plan on making the next even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
MGM Grand Detroit
Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
MotorCity Casino Hotel
MotorCity Casino Hotel
#11 of 33 in Detroit

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!