“First class food, a "find" for the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stand

The Stand
Reserve with OpenTable
The Stand is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 100 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to modern American food with serious local flavor; or as we like to say, rustic but refined. Just some of The Stand's distinctions include charcuterie, a dedicated vegan menu, craft beers, private dining areas, a 10-seat chef's table and so much more. It's downtown cool with an uptown vibe.
Rye, New York
“First class food, a "find" for the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We were in the area visiting our son, who made reservations at The Stand. We are from NYC and travel frequently to Europe, so he knows our "fine food" standards are high. We very much enjoyed our dinner here. I had a lamb entree - my test for the first time at a restaurant is always lamb or duck - and it was excellent: fresh and yummy, well prepared, correctly cooked and beautifully presented. I must say the portions were quite substantial, so no worries if you're really hungry. We also tried the mango/white chocolate mousse, which was to die for. Service was friendly, if not very sophisticated. This is a great place for high level dining in the area.

1 Thank Helensn1
John K, Owner at The Stand, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Helensn1, Thank you so much for the generous rating and the very lovely words. We strive for guest appreciation everyday. We are so glad that you really enjoyed your time with us here at The Stand. We hope to see you very soon.

Michigan
“Fantastic service, ambiance and experience at The Stand!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

After searching through many restaurant options in our town, I decided to take my fiance to The Stand for his birthday. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. Friendly hostess who brought us to our reserved table. The table was covered in "Happy Birthday" sparkles and a little card from the restaurant in honor of my fiance! I was so pleased - what a simple but noticeable step over-and-above.

We both started with a great cocktail and the fresh fish appetizer - delicious. For our mains, I had the coq au vin and my fiance had the black cod - his favorite. Both understated, good-portioned and delicious. Brian was our server who was attentive and respectful. He knew exactly when to come and refill the wine glasses, when to do a quality check and threw in delightful little quips along the way. Impeccable. Additionally, we were treated to a little birthday sorbet (as we both have very specific allergies) - a nice touch!

We were thrilled and cannot wait to return for another lunch or dinner. Since then, my fiance has also been pointing out your restaurant to our visiting guests and friends.

Thank you to Brian, and The Stand.

John K, Owner at The Stand, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
C E , Thank you for celebrating your fiancé's special day with us. I am so glad Brian and the entire team took care of the evening for you. Thank you for the generous rating and the kind words. Much appreciated, Hope to see you soon!!
New York City, New York
“Excellent service, food generally very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We went to this place because of its combination of a meat/fish and a vegan menu. Those of us who ate fish were extremely happy with their entrées; as for the vegan options, only one out of three dishes (grilled corn with almonds) really stood out, whereas the others (tomato risotto, carrots ratatouille) where rather bland. We appreciate, however, the good intentions. Service is superb. Recommended.

John K, Owner at The Stand, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you so much for the generous rating and the kind words. I will have the chef review the risotto and the ratatouille flavor profiles. Once again thank you so much and we hope to see you soon.
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
“A fantastic restaurant!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Excellent food and service. We highly recommend. Limited menu. Very much looking forward to returning.

Visited June 2014
John K, Owner at The Stand, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
George, Thank you so much for the very generous rating and words. Thank you and look forward to seeing you very soon.
Los Angeles, CA
“Can't Wait to Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Because of my travel schedule, I have the opportunity to dine at many restaurants. The Strand is on my list of all time favorites. We were seated in the private dining room overseen by two excellent wait staff. One of the staff recommended the halibut. Who hasn't had this dish before? I ordered it based upon his recommendation and was so glad I did. It was the best I have ever eaten. Try it.

• Visited May 2014
John K, Owner at The Stand, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Samantha's Dad, Thank you so much for your kind words and your rating. We are very proud of our culinary dishes and we are so glad that you enjoyed the halibut. We hope to see you very soon.
John kelly