“Awful, sad to say”

Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I had read the reviews and thought we'd give it a try. We were in the area, but saw that they don't open until 4pm on a Sunday. We took that as a good sign that if they were able to stay closed for a good part of the day, business must be good, and therefore, food should be good too!

I'm sure you know where this is going. The food was not good. I mean, I've had the privilege to sample a lot of cuisines living in Los Angeles, and namely, there are a lot of Thai varieties. This place did not have any of the fragrant and savory tastes that Thai food should have.

We ordered the Tom Yum Goong, Chicken Pad Thai, and the Beef Prik Khing. First came out the soup. It wasn't bad, but the soup definitely lacked any dimension of flavor, and simply tasted salty and sour. We didn't taste the essence from the galangal, lemongrass. The mushrooms were canned, and the only thing that was fresh was the shrimp. In one bowl, we were only given 3 shrimp. For close to $5, we expected more. Our Pad Thai and the Prik Khing arrived at the same time about 10 minutes after our soup, so service was quick, but as soon as it arrived, we knew it wouldn't be the same. First off, the Pad Thai did not have any tamarind juice in it, otherwise, the color would not be a brownish/orange color. It tasted like it was cooked in soy sauce. There were no other vegetables besides the bean sprouts and those were not even washed or blanched. Where were the peanuts? The Prik Khing was supposed to be a red curry, but there was no curry in the sauce. It was simply a satay sauce that they added some soy sauce to to make it a darker appearance.

The only good thing about our experience was that service was good, and our water was always filled. Food, on the other hand, not good at all.

Suffice to say, we will not be coming back here, and if you are looking for authentic Thai food, this is not the place for it.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

The plum sauce is divine. Period. Love this place, although most of the times I get take-out so I've never actually sat in the restaurant.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

We get takeout from here at least once every 1-2 weeks and we always like it. Personal favorite is the peanut curry. Given that it is one of the less expensive dining options in Birmingham is a plus too if you are heading to a movie or bar afterwards.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

We eat here for lunch regularly. It's one of my kids' favorite places and they request it often. We've never had a problem here with over-salting as we have in other Thai places. The service is good and they are conscientios of our cashew allergy issue. They will happily substitute and accomodate special requests. We esp. like the drunken noodles, kew warn and ka tiem beef.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I loved the rice dishes and ambiance of this restaurant. The Pad Thai is not to my liking but the other dishes I've had there were great!