“Small, limited menu, no pop, water shortage”
Review of Commonwealth Cafe

Commonwealth Cafe
Ranked #21 of 106 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed May 20, 2018

Walk up and order, menus by register so if there's a long line you don't have time to pick out what you want until you get right up to pay. They don't have pop like Coke or Diet Coke etc. if you get water there's a small bottle on the table that you go through very quickly and can't get a refill. Staff brings out your food but never comes back. Limited menu on the healthy side. Food was good but pricey. Lemon blueberry scone was very good. They close early at 3pm.

Reviewed April 8, 2018

One of my favorite cafes. Very nice contemporary atmosphere, always have new menu options. Offer gluten free and dairy free options. Their quinoa bowls and matcha lattes are my favorites.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

contemporary style coffe shop and breakfast menu, you can either get a drip coffe choosing from the day's variety or prepared drinks (lattes, machiatos, expressos, etc. )

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Tucked away on the side street in Birmingham is a place called Commonwealth. What a great find! Absolutely delicious food with fast and friendly service. We will definitely be returning to this place.

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

Our total bill came to $45.10 for a Mediterranean salad with tuna, side cup of tomato soup, ginger/lime tea, mocha, grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. Hoping this blows us away for the steep prices here.
There was this couple behind us in line, the lady was unbelievably pushy about getting a seat asap and as such they were seated before us, poorly done and so not cool.
The tomato soup is very plain and boring, not creamy at all and tastes like it came out of a Campbell's soup tin.
There was discarded food and nasty smashed food all over the floor between patrons by our table. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned at all and it's nearly 2pm.
The side of tuna as my optional add on to my Mediterranean salad was itself a salad with onions and mustard and seasoning, had to scratch the idea of throwing it on top of my salad. I was expecting plain tuna to top my salad with. The mediterranean salad with the olive dressing was just okay, but I have to admit I can get a much better salad and $5-6 cheaper from holiday market with whatever I want in it and a great dressing on top of it.
The grilled cheese sandwich was simply average, the bread was too thick and too much bread in the grilled cheese ratio.
I couldn't taste any ginger in my tea and such a faint hint of citrus.
It wasn't worth the money, but I can say I tried out this less than spectacular and overrated joint in BHam now.