“Small Space / Big Fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Streetside Seafood
Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Detroit
“Small Space / Big Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I like Streetside quite a bit. They do everything well enough that it keeps me coming back. Yes, it's tiny, and the crowd waiting to sit could get on the nerves of any wait staff. We are talking the cream of "Birmingham crabbypants" wondering why THEY aren't being cared for first... Get a drink, the bartenders pour them well, and be patient. Or, show up earlier.
My only real complaints - and they are truly minor - would be the close proximity of your neighbors' tables which often means you've got the wait staffs' hindquarters in your face. And, the printed menu is kinda boring. Probably just me, but if the specials weren't on the board, I would be bored. Still, they are well done, fun, and one of the few places with a good Australian tawny for dessert... (don't laugh!)

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Asheville, North Carolina
“Still one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Second visit in the past year, feel free to read my review from that visit. Anyways, some of the earlier reviews mentioned slipping service, overpriced items, etc and that you should take your business to Mitchell's--having ate at both multiple times, I would never give that advice. Mitchells serves very routine, expensive seafood. Streetside serves very unique fish dishes that often involve local (MI) products/fish. The prices are probably about $3-4 too much per entree: ours were $29 each for fantastic fish dishes, but I could see where people may think the prices are high. We had a bottle of wine, some oysters (some of the best I've ever had), coconut shrimp appetizer, and then dessert as well--bourbon pecan pie, that was quite delicious. The waitress even added a scoop of ice cream for me without a charge. Now, our waitress that night was not quite as good as the gentleman we had been served by previously, but overall the service was still excellent. The only warning I would give to people not familiar with the restaurant is that it's small and they pack people in, so you will likely be sitting quite close to your neighbors. Also, it gets busy, so expect a wait if you go on a weekend night. Will definitely miss this place once we move.

• Visited June 2012
Northville, Michigan
“Seems to be slipping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times over the past 10 years. My favorite is the Greek style calamari appetizer and their unique specials The location (downtown Birmingham) can't be beat. It seems, however, that they are getting too big for their britches or relying on location and reputation. The past few times I've been there, the service has been slightly snobby,and the portion sizes and quality dwindling. I keep going back because I do love the ambience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Stay away from Streetside Seafood in Birmingham”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

This previously was one of my most favorite spots -- not anymore. Just went there for my birthday and the waiter was so incredibly rude to us, it made me ill. I'm straight and my friend is not and it was so over the top obvious that this guy had some sort of problem -- he turned his back on us and wouldn't even take my friend's drink order. Sickening. We left. Went next door and overtipped a waiter there -- go somewhere else -- anywhere else. Not worth it if you are actually a human being.

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank krausebppz
Detroit, Michigan
“Really only a 1/2 star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Rude host and waiters, WAY overpriced and too pretentious. My advice; don't waste your time, go to Mitchells Seafood right around the corner. They have better seafood, lower prices and a friendly staff!

• Visited May 2012