“Socially Sassy with Sabor”

Social Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Social Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Woodward
Macomb, Michigan
“Socially Sassy with Sabor”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Sassiness and flair hits you as you walk through the door. Open floor plan with the bar to the right and pillows thrown about in the half booth seating section and light colored wood to accent. I typically don't enjoy sitting outside even when the climate permits. However, I was immediately drawn to the beautiful staircase leading to the upper outside deck (which are typically my favorite versus a restaurant providing a table basically on the sidewalk with ropes or rails). It was such great weather and full of sunshine with a shaded area if direct sunlight is not your thing. It is a beautiful upper modern deck with the a great view of the main street and decorative foliage. It made me feel like I was in San Diego, California. Lots of places stay on the map when the trendy atmosphere embraces people once they cross the threshold and become popular even if the food is mediocre.

However, not only does this place have sass and the aesthetics to lure a faithful patron, but the food has "sabor" -Spanish word for describing GOOD tasting food! We were not disappointed! I wanted to try something different and opted for the Waffles and chicken (brunch). What an intriguing combination that gained the full attention of my taste buds. Fried chicken pieces rested on a waffle topped with maple syrup fused with real bacon bits. I would suggest if one dares to try this sweet salty combo to request the syrup on the side ONLY. The center was overly saturated with the syrup and was a tad bit soggy and overly sweet once I reached the middle. That was my only disappointment. My preference is to dip and adjust sauce/dressings for different foods to avoid this issue. Other than that, it was delicious. I would order again with the given suggestion. My husband ordered Steak and Eggs, which was presented well on his plate along with the sides. He had no complaints!

I almost forgot to mention the service, which is equally as important as great food. Even though the greeting was delayed as the hostess was engaged in some computer issue, we were greeted by another host with friendliness and given our choice of where we wanted to dine. Seating options are always extremely inviting. Please note the restaurant was not close to capacity, which I am sure allowed this accommodation. Our server gave feedback and helped to influence my choice of trying something different. He didn't overdo it, but appeared to be sincerely friendly with a warm smile. In sum, we were pleased.

We will visit this place again and perhaps take some friends next time to enjoy not only a sassy setting but the "sabor" of the food as well!

• Visited August 2014

Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, United States
“Great food but too loud”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We gathered here for a joint birthday celebration with 14 members of our social circle. It's a nice, trendy atmosphere in downtown Birmingham and the place was packed on a Saturday evening. Be careful when you step in the door...the floors are beautiful but very slippery. I saw someone fall in her heels. And, unfortunately, the music was so loud, I felt like I had to shout to have a conversation. Our server did adeptly handle our large group despite the noise.

I had the kale and quinoa salad with falafel, which was outstanding! My husband had a romaine salad which had a wonderful smoked flavor. So definitely no complaints with the food. So overall, go if you're a foodie but don't plan to have an in depth conversation.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Tasty, Yummy & Fun”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Social is the kind of place that you put calories aside and know you are going to the gym the next morning. It's also the kind of place to share plates and feast on creations such as waffles with fried chicken strips with a coating of bacon glaze and cajun shrimp swimming in chili oil centered in a cute skillet of fresh and hot grits.

Brick chicken with baked crispy potatoes is tasty and you surely need to order the mussels with spicy andouille sausage broth to soak up the grilled french bread.

You know you are in for a treat when you start with a small paper sack with four mini cornbread muffins. The frites are served in large portions and luckily we did not order but saw them devoured on several tables. There are plenty of desserts and yes, we saw a party order the waffle. Total decadence at reasonable prices.

Only drawback: Getting past the hostess stand. It's like they don't understand customer service and you are an inconvenience. Best to have a reservation in advance or wait a long time at the small bar area.

1 Thank LGspartan
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hipster Brooklyn in Birmingham”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Not from Michigan and was in town for an event and looking for good food and drinks for a celebratory event. They were able to hold a table for 7 at the last minute for us. Even though it was a tight squeeze, the food was on point and the drinks were great. Delicious brussel sprouts! Would definitely recommend this restaurant and the area it is in for a nice walk.

1 Thank ashashasha
Clarkston, Michigan
“Two visits...uneven but still good”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Have been for lunch twice. First time was outstanding, second was average... so splitting the difference. I ordered the warm chicken salad with fries and my dining companion ordered a salad so we could share each both times. The first time the sandwich was fabulous with great flavor and texture. The second time it was more runny with less flavor. Similarly, the french fries were better on the first visit. The salads are large pick your own ingredient affairs and were tasty both times. It is a fun atmosphere with a nice covered outdoor patio for dining. Service was very attentive.