“Amazing food in Birmingham”
Review of Bella Piatti

Bella Piatti
Ranked #12 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The newly re-invented Bella Piatti opened February 13, 2013 under new ownership and is already on it's way to be the hot spot in Birmingham. The traditional Italian menu with a contemporary twist was created by Chef Francesco Apollonia, who was born and raised in Venice, Italy. The restaurant, designed by Jeff Fontana, offers a warm, whimsical and inviting dining experience. The menu is comprised of traditional pastas, risotto, fish, mouth-watering steaks and a variety of appetizers and desserts. Fresh seasonal produce, exceptional quality products, artisanal ingredients make dining here an authentic Italian experience.
Birmingham
“Amazing food in Birmingham”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I save going to Bella Piatti for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. We love the food and always enjoy being there. You won't have a bad meal here! The starters to the desserts are wonderful. The wine is amazing too. We are always treated like royalty too...great service!!

Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Welcome Katie!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a lovely evening at Bella Piatti this past week. This was our first visit to Bella Piatti but it will most certainly not be our last! We enjoyed the food, especially the meat and cheese plate and the pork chop! We also got to meet Katie, who just started, she was very friendly and pleasant and was not flustered when we had tons of questions!

Detroit
“delightful night out”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I recently had dinner with friends at Bella Piatti. I had called a week in advance for reservations and was only able to obtain a 6:00 pm time. I thought it might be a little early for our group, but took it anyway. We arrived and were seated on time. Our waiter was excellent and very accommodating. My husband has some dietary issues and the waiter and chef bent over backwards to make his experience worthwhile. I ordered a lobster pasta dish and was delighted to see an entire lobster tail atop the linguine. The restaurant filled to the brim while we were there, and even though we were an early seating, I did not feel rushed. I will definitely return.

Bath, Michigan
“Delicious”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our dining experience at Bella Piatti. We arrived without a reservation, but were able to squeeze into a small table near the bar. It was cramped, but comfortable. The food was delicious from the appetizer to the main dish! Our waiter was attentive and engaging. I tried the moscato and it was the best I've ever tasted. My husband loved the authentic Italian beer.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank knittingbandit
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“Bad service very disappointing”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Last night a friend and I had dinner here and I have to say it was not the best experience. We had reservations at 9pm on a Saturday night. From the moment we walked in we were put off. The blonde hostess justed looked at us like what are they doing here and said there is a wait before we could even tell her we had a reservation! Instead of a smile and saying "may I help you?" Where is the hospitality? Then all she said was "your table is not ready." Period. No telling us oh why don't you have a drink at the bar or anything. There is maybe a 2 x 2 space near where the hostess desk is so WE had to ask if we could be pointed to the bar to go have a drink. I lived and worked in Beverly Hills CA for many years and NEVER had to deal with this kind of attitude and pretentiousness. We are in Michigan people get over yourselves. It's the business of hospitality and you are supposed to make the clients feel welcome, not want to turn around and leave. We make our way back to the bar and there is no space there but there is a high top for 2 and I mention to my friend that I'll ask the staff if that's a table for dinner or just for people waiting and having a drink. It was literally 2 feet from the bar. A waitress sees us looking at it and before I can even ask, she sternly tells us you cannot sit there! You need a reservation!! We said we have one and she said well you need to talk to the hostess. So we tell her we just did! She even grabbed both sides of my arms and asked if I understood her! She had an accent so I don't know if that's what she meant by that or what. We felt like we were in the twilight zone. Finally the manager asked a couple in front of us if they wanted that very table and they turned it down ( because it was practically on top of the bar) and then asked if we wanted it. We had no issue with the table, we just wanted a nice night out with some authentic Italian food. Luckily the waitress that practically accosted us did not have our table so we were good to go. We ordered the burrata appetizer and the calamari. The first was ok, nothing like the burrata in L.A or Italy though, and the calamari was not at what we expected. I do have to say we were pleasantly surprised because we received a shrimp appetizer that had a cream sauce and crimini mushrooms compliments of the chef. (I wonder if he had a sixth sense of the treatment we had received earlier.) That dish was superb! Next we had a soup with cauliflower that was puréed with truffle croutons however, I tasted no truffle in the croutons it was ok. I had ordered the Osso bucco that came with polenta. The polenta and rapini were delicious but the veal had a strong taste. My friends veal was the same.
It's unfortunate because we had higher hopes for this place and I doubt I'll be back. I'm sure most of my clients will hear my opinion as well. Just makes sure the staff changes the attitude because even if the food is amazing, no one wants to deal with that kind of attitude. I'll take my patoronidge to a a restaurant that appreciates it's customers.

• Visited March 2014