“Just the Basics - but what we needed!”

Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were in Birmingham for the 2012 World Series. The hotel was clean, simple and small. The Wi-Fi wasn't great, but worked. We never tried the continental breakfast. We were within walking distance of all the shopping in Birmingham, plus the local Kroger.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My stay was only one night... Was a little nervous because both phones in the room had no ringtone...
The room was very warn...
Pros: good walking distance to bars, grocery store, fridge in room, 24 hour gym
Cons: no van to transport you around the area, the bed had no support, while the gym was 24 hour is had very very old elliptical, treadmill and bicycle..
Good for a night

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I came out of state for a wedding that was held nearby. We got a room for 2 days on the weekend. The second night after the wedding we went back to our room and noticed that the hallways to our room were very warm. When we got to our room we noticed that the A/C had not been working. The room stayed in the 80's all night. The night manager told us that they have been having issues with the new A/C's that were installed. He was very sorry, but was unable to put us in another room (he has already relocated other tenants). We left extra early (3am because we couldn't sleep) and left for the airport. I have called every single day to talk to a manager about this, because I don't feel that we should have to pay for the room on the second night or at least get comped. I've left messages and voicemails. Today I was told that the manager who can help us out works from 8-3, this means that every time that I've called she was on duty! Now I won't be able to hear something back until Monday when she comes back in. This is really poor management. I already received the bill on my credit card, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dirk D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Dirk D,

Zelyn N

Reviewed July 9, 2012

It is what it is. A very basic hotel that includes free parking, free wifi, and a free breakfast in a small room. While the rooms are kept very cool the halls are very hot and the room safes do not all work (others told me they had the same problem). There is no swimming pool for the summer months but you can keep lots of beverages in your own small room refrigerator. The bathrooms are in need of refurbishing. Stay for one night, two tops.

Room Tip: It's all basically the same as there are no real views anywhere. Just stay away from rooms near...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCspace
Peggy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Hello:

Thank you for your review. Belatedly, I wanted to let you know that we have begun our renovations, and all areas of the hotel will be addressed. Please give us a try when you are in the Birmingham area! We would appreciate the chance to show you our hospitality!

Thank you!

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have stayed here a few different times and I would recommend it to someone who is on a budget. The rooms are good and the service was okay. The reason I am giving this a 3/5 is because of the noise in the building. The A/C system is really outdated and it will keep you up at night.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank awesomereviews
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear awesomereviews,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences experienced because of the AC unit.

We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve.If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in many years but chose this one due to location near hospital where a family member was staying. I usually choose Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott properties. Computer at front desk wasn't working when I arrived. Desk clerk said it hadn't worked in three days. Luckily I had a copy of my reservation so he checked me in. Bathroom door did not close securely. Carpet needed cleaning. Window curtain not secure on one side, so came loose when I tried to close it. No name amenities. Breakfast didn't look appealing so I skipped it. For convenience to hospital I MIGHT consider staying here again, but I plan to check out other options first.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bertha55
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear Bertha55,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We are glad you found the location of our hotel convenient. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W

Reviewed April 12, 2012

About what I would expect from a fairly recent/newish Holiday Inn Express. Rooms were ok, no complaints. The staff were very helpful about giving directions, making dinner recommendations, wake up calls, etc. A bit more expensive than I expected for a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ProfessorJS
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear ProfessorJS,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. We hope you enjoyed your vacation and are glad to hear you were happy with the hotel accommodations and our friendly staff. Whilst I am pleased with the really good comments, I truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask.

Jaime W
Reference # 27707195

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
The Townsend Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Detroit / Troy
Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham? Share your experiences!