“Great location average rooms”

Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I've stayed here a few times. The location is a quick walk to downtown Birmingham. The price is right for a hotel. The room I had this time was OK with the exception that the shower head was only about 5ft high. Being 6ft. plus makes for an awkward time in the shower. Rooms were clean. Great restaurants in nearby downtown area, which makes this the place to stay. I will definitely stay here again, since the rooms were clean and the location was good.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Boris072
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Boris072,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your stay at our Hotel. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the shower head. We appreciated the time and effort you have taken to inform us of your experience. Guests such as yourself enable us to maintain the high standard of service expected of us. We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have stayed at this location many times while my elderly mother has been in the nearby hospital. It is very convenient to the hospital. Very close to awesome shopping. Has a great breakfast in the morning. The room I stayed in this time could of used a bit of updating. The beds were comfortable. The room was very clean. For the location and the hospital discount I received; this hotel will always be on my list to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The location is very convenient for walking to the shops of Birmingham, but the hotel is very dated and run down. The staff was pleasant, but not enough to overcome the many deficiencies of the rooms which are dingy and worn. The rooms are not very quite and it's easy to hear too much noise in the hallways or outside (especially a problem if you're on the side overlooking the main entrance). Everything from the old TVs and limited outlets to the weak excuse for an exercise room shows that this hotel is in desperate need of a full renovation. It's not very expensive, but you should explore other area options.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TheTripHelper
Reviewed October 7, 2011

A great building that fits into Birmingham. Very classic. Alison and Lisa were fantastic, taking care of us even without their computers up and running. Very creative coming up with solutions on the spot. We were very pleased with the entire staff and our stay. Breakfast was awesome! Kitty in the Kitchen was super nice and took great care of us. Our room was clean, updated, and had a nice flat screen TV.

Overall the customer service was TOP NOTCH!

Room Tip: Ask for an Executive or a corner room. Those are the best! :)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed at the hotel recently and a pair of valuable earrings was stolen from my suitcase. Admittedly, I forgot to put them in the safe. After returning home I found the jewelry bag had been opened (I ended up wearing the same earrings the whole trip and never opened the bag), costume jewelry strewn across the suitcase and the earrings gone. It took two days for the hotel owner/manager to call me back. She said nothing had ever been stolen from the hotel. She did say she would look and get back to me in three days. She did not and refused my calls. I had to call the corporate headquarters to get her to respond. When she did call she said the computer was broken and she could not track who had entered the room using the key swipe system. In addition, she refused to write a note stating that the earrings were missing from the room so that I could file an insurance claim. I did end up filing a police report. Corporate Holiday Inn Express is fairly non responsive.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank nancy g
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Crappy TV, old plumbing, measly breakfast...this hotel is lame. You are better off -and pay less money - at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn or The Somerset Inn. This one is to be avoided.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank le_fino
Reviewed October 5, 2011

What an absolute dump. No heat (45 degree night), called at the desk at 2 am, after waking up freezing, they said "too bad —we are booked", water did not drain in bathroom sink, no bathtub stopper piece to plug for bath, electrical plugs not working, only one available to use, all around stains and a strange red stain in the bathroom tile and wall. Did not compensate me, manager, "Shannon" a very arrogant and strange woman, finally (I had an important meeting early —took a shower in a freezing bathroom) moved me to a room two doors down, it was very shabby and again, tiles were black moldy and dirty in the bath, unpleasant and not worth a quarter of the money. Stay away if you can. I heard the contractor outside the room saying what a mess the plumbing is

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank M R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
The Townsend Hotel
Somerset Inn
#10 of 17 in Troy
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Troy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham? Share your experiences!