“Closed!!!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Too much gun play in the evenings means South went buh-bye! Sorry to see them go (if you were a normal lunch / dinner guest) but i guess the nightclubers got a little too hood for the waspy-suburbs ;-)

Reviewed March 14, 2012

My first time at "South Bar" ... didn't know what to expect. I had bought a dining coupon (Groupon) and planned to use it. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very nice atmosphere; chic and urban. We parked right in front at the curb (metered parking). Had a very nice server who helped us with our selections and made great recommendations (and did not steer us wrong!). My husband ordered the tortilla soup as an appetizer and the grilled salmon, which he loved. I ordered the fish tacos, which I also loved. They were spicy with chopped jalapeños ... but also had thin slivers of granny smith apples as part of the filling as well. It was a very nice combination of spicy/sweet. The fish (mahi) was grilled and very good quality, not that cheapo deep-fried stuff many restaurants serve in their fish tacos. I also asked to substitute vegetables for the rice and it was no problem. They also had a decent wine list with reasonable prices. We decided we'd definitely go back ... even without a Groupon! A good experience all the way around.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Had a bit of a shaky start here - the first time we visited, directly after opening, nearly all of our orders were screwed up. The drinks had salt instead of sugar, all the food came out at different times, that kind of thing... However, we gave it a second shot and had a much better experience after they got their sea legs, so to speak. As a general warning, it does get very, very busy on the weekends; not really my scene, all the crowds and waiting in line and whatnot.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

The worst food. Unless you're just drinking, don't bother.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

South is an attempt to be all things to all people. It's a sports bar, mexican restaurant, hipster bar, night club. In the end, while inoffensive, it's also not the master of anything. The food is fine, the atmosphere is inconsistent, yet the location is good.