“Left something to be desired” 3 of 5 bubbles

Luxe Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Left something to be desired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

My mom and I went for a late lunch, so the place wasn't very busy when we arrived. I was immediately impressed by the ambiance; I liked the modern look of the inside, the open kitchen, and the pub tables along the front windows. Unfortunately the hostess stuck us at this so-small table almost on top of a couple that was (thankfully) finishing their meal. We saw that several booths were open so we asked if we could sit at one of them, but the hostess refused saying that the booths were for larger parties. About 10 minutes later the hostess sat at one of the booths herself to enjoy an order of fries! That alone was enough to drive me nuts, but during our meal she sat two parties of two people at booths! And then two of the other booths were never filled during our lunch at all! I am a reasonable person, so I never would have mentioned a seating preference if the restaurant were busy. The way the hostess handled our situation was tacky and rude.
Other than that unpleasant component, I have no complaints regarding the restaurant. The food was pretty good. I agree with previous comments that it was a step up from pub or bar quality. One thing I did like a lot was that their sweet potato fries were crispy! I also didn't think the prices were too high given the quality of the food and the nice atmosphere of the restaurant.
Overall I wasn't wowed by this restaurant by any means but I didn't think it was a bad choice. Had the hostess not been so unprofessional I would consider going back, but her behavior unfortunately put a damper on the experience for us.

• Visited March 2013

Birmingham, Michigan
“A great name for a top end burger/bar place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Luxe is a small neighborhood place with a limited menu but any choice will be done perfectly and with skill. These folks know what's good and whether you get a terrific Luxe Burger or a special salmon burger, you will not be disappointed. Salads are fresh, wine selection great and with a full bar, I was able to get a Bushmills on St. Pat's! You can sit at the bar and eat or at the community table or grab a seat and get really good, pleasant service.

• Visited March 2013
Royal Oak, Michigan
“A nice experience, but sit on the patio if possible (during warmer weather of course)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great spot with a few friends on the patio, very relaxed and very serene with the lull and hum of traffic on Old Woodward buzzing by. The food wasn't special, but it was good and a bit above bar food grade.

• Visited March 2012
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Trendy, Noisy, Yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Small and noisy hot spot which draws lots of young trendy diners. The salads are big, the burgers are good (but not great) and the prices are high. Limited number of tables. Attentive servers.

• Visited February 2013
Michigan
“Getting Better All the Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Been to Luxe 4 times now, 2 lunches, 2 dinners & I'm a believer. They've gotten the kinks out re service, the wait staff is now relaxed, friendly & fun. This is a very small space, a true neighborhood bar, so expect noise & crowds if you go at peak times. I didn't know until I read a few reviews here that we could phone ahead for seats & also didn't know (until I overheard our waitress tell the next table) that glasses of wine are $3 less during happy hour, 4-6pm. I believe there are beer & cocktail specials too, so ask.
The wine list is very, very nice & the menus for lunch & dinner are awesome. The gumbo - great. The burger - great. The chicken dinner - very great. Fries - yes. Wings - yes.The salads - huge. So a guy having a steak dinner one night and thought, "Why is that guy having a steak dinner in a crowded little place like this?" Now I'm thinking maybe I'd better try the steak!
Ok, this is becoming our 'go to' place - going back soon, very soon!

• Visited January 2013