“We would rank the restaurant about a 7 and a half”
Review of Zazios Birmingham - CLOSED

Zazios Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple
Description: Zazios is an electric restaurant where the food is the entertainment. Offering both a main dining room and a Chef Table experience that is nothing like it in Michigan. Dining room with large windows overlooking the famed Woodward Avenue. The Chef table is a stadium style settings where you may engage with our Chef while preparing a five course dinner with optional wines. Our dining room offers a vibrant, fresh ambiance with a view of downtown Birmingham. We have extensive wine list covering all of Italy wine regions as well as major wines from California, France and the world. Our Z bar is the perfect place to enjoy your favorite Martini or Mojito along with over 20 wines by the glass. Zazios Restaurant also offers a private dining area that seats 28 guests with built in state of the art A/V equipments along with 60" flat screen, perfect for corporate of social gatherings.
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The food was excellent but the atmosphere was out of the late 1980's or 1990's. See full review at hungryindetroit.blogspot.com

Thank Hungry in Detro... C
Sarah L, Manager at Zazios Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hi Hungry in Detroit,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to write this post. We take pride in our restaurant but it definitely has plenty of room for improvement. No promises at this point regarding the decor however we are working to improve the efficiency of our service. Your blog post was shared amongst our team to share your thoughts and will continue to be a part of our discussion in terms of improving the ambiance of the restaurant. I wanted to make sure to acknowledge your points and hopefully the next time you visit us, you'll find a new favorite on the menu. Thank you once again and we look forward to having you in our restaurant once again.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a large, trendy place in downtown Birmingham. It's lively and has a fun, colorful decor. I found the food just average-not terrible, not great; it's supposed to be a "foodie" place I guess (you can book a Chef's table, the big screen TVs show close-ups ofe the food prep in the large open kitchen), but I just didn't think it was exceptional. Worth going with a group for the fun, but wouldn't rate it as a destination place or place to return to.

Hi roadwarrierMD,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I know this response is late however I wanted to acknowledge your comments and hopefully learn more about your thoughts about our food and the restaurant overall. Recently we've changed our menu to incorporate a variety of seasonal ingredients as well as added some new offerings. I understand you noted that this place would not be a place to return to however I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving us a second chance and try our new menu? Feel free to reach out to me directly and our restaurant manager would love to have the opportunity to hear your thoughts out.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

So it depends what you want from a restaurant/bar.
Over priced food and wine, very slow service in the restaurant.
Great for groups to meet up, nice bar and service, relaxed atmosphere, great bathrooms!!

Hi Trolliedtraveller,

Thank you for your review and I appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback. The service efficiency is something that we are constantly improving and we hope that since you've written this review that you've visited our restaurant and seen some improvement. If not, I personally invite you to come visit us again and let us know your thoughts on the food and service. We have rolled out a refreshed menu to incorporate seasonal ingredients as well as some new offerings. Feel free to reach out to me directly and our restaurant manager would love to engage with you regarding your thoughts about our restaurant.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

It seemed that they were understaffed on the Saturday evening that we went for dinner. The staff that waited on us did not appear to be well trained. We were not offered drinks to begin with. We were short place settings. The service was slow and unenthusiastic. When they brought our food they did not know who ordered what. Unfortunately the food lacked flavoring and was served lukewarm. I ordered the herbed polenta with a mushroom and cheese sauce, which is outstanding in Kalamazoo. The Birmingham version did not have the rich flavor. The pasta dishes ordered by the others in our group were bland. I wouldn't be able to describe any part of the evening as outstanding. There is much room for improvement in their service and food.

Hi markfood,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I apologize for not responding sooner however better late than never. We acknowledge that our service and food has lots of room for improvement, but I'm not sure if you've visited our restaurant recently? We rolled out a refreshed menu, improved on our service efficiency and also ensuring consistency in our food. I know exactly the dish you're talking about and in fact it's one of my favorite, so I understand your disappointment when the flavor isn't want you expected it to be. I hope you give us a second chance to make this right for you. Feel free to reach out to me directly and our restaurant manager would be happy to address your concerns next time you visit us about the food if it's still not to your liking.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Easter brunch prepared by Zazio's was fine but not exceptional. All the standards were there: chicken, salmon, white fish(a little too fishey), roast beef, and ham (fair). It also had an omlet station but the highlight was the orzo station. The salad and appetizer table was a little heavy on the baked goods and light on the appetizers. All-in-all it was just "fine."

However, we were a little disturbed when the check arrived-We were charged $3 for each juice and refill (not disclosed by the waitstaff at time of order) and they included an 18% gratuity which seems a little high for a buffet.

Would we go back - yes, but not for the Easter Brunch.

Hi Richard B,

I am so sorry about your experience during our Easter Brunch especially the issue with refills. It is a service efficiency issue that we know has plenty of room for improvement. We have been tackling these issues and we hope that you've seen some improvement since your last visit. If you have not, I would invite you to return and give us a try again. In regards to the 18% auto-gratuity I see your point, however it is on parties of 6 or more and it is a standard that our company has chosen to adhere to. Once again I appreciate your feedback and encourage you to continue to provide us with your feedback be it in person to our restaurant manager or even here.