“Always Packed on Sundays, Get There Early”
Review of Toast

Toast
Reserve with OpenTable
Toast is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple
Description: Toast in Downtown Birmingham is an award winning restaurant with a casual comfortable yet whimsical atmosphere with great food, wine list drinks and Service! If you want to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner, or seeking the perfect spot for Wine or Drinks and conversation...then Toast Birmingham is the place for you. Executive Chef Myles McVay focuses on layers, textures, balance and constant creativity has given Toast a forward-minded environment and menu that customers cannot find anywhere else. In 2011 Toast was awarded Best Breakfast in Detroit area for the 9th year in a row.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Every time we're in town to visit my daughter we all go to Toast for breakfast. There is usually a wait if you don't get there by 9:00 or 9:30 in the morning on Sundays. All the locals eat here and the food is good, but it is a bit noisy and crowded. No problem with our waitress who knew my daughter and her family (it's that kind of town). Have never eaten other meals here so I don't know about lunch or dinner.

There are newer reviews for Toast

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I like the toast I like how they sprinkle some mexican or latin fusion to the dishes, the service is great and the food is just delicious, I love to sit outside in the summer. thanks!

1  Thank ClaudiaGuerrero
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We popped in here on a whim on a Friday night and we were seated immediately. Upon looking at the menu, my first thought is that it seemed rather limited and possibly attempting to be fancier than "a neighborhood joint", as it bills itself. I ordered the steak frites, which came out exactly as I had ordered and was very tasty. My husband ordered the burger with the egg on top with sweet potato fries. At one point, the waiter brought us some honey, and he said he didn't like sweet potato fries but heard they were good with honey. So we tried it, and it was great! We also had the tomato flatbread as an appetizer, which was also good. I would give this place 5 stars if they had more options on their menu.

1  Thank Carol A
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Toast a solid 4 out of 5 stars for dinner with friends. The retro interior design of this establishment is pretty awesome. It's different, comfortable and fun! The bar service is really good too -- their margaritas were good starters for our night out with friends. The wait, even with reservations was 15 minutes but with a good bar and retro decor to talk about, the time went by fairly quickly. The food is very good but not great. It didn't have the "wow" factor for me. But I love that some of the menu offerings were quite unique such the duck sliders, shrimp & grits and White Truffle Mac & Cheese. It is a great place to have dinner and catch up with old friends in the heart of downtown Birmingham.

1  Thank Enjoythejourney777
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I heard so many great reviews about this place so we gave it a try with another couple. It was way overpriced for what you get. We ordered the special mushroom appetizer: it had a ton of tomato paste and only one serving for two people of mushrooms. It was only served with two pieces of banquette toast and it cost $16. We also ordered the artichoke fritters And it didn't have much flavor. I was hoping the sauce on the bottom had good flavor but it just tasted like season mayo. We all had drinks; the gentleman had beers which were fine and us ladies had their special pomegranate mimosas. The Champagne glass was the smallest I've seen and it tasted more like a regular Memosa with a very small splash of pomegranate for coloring and it was nine dollars. We then each had their burgers each one of us had our burgers overcooked to what we wanted. My husband asked for it to be medium rare it came out medium my friends husband the same my friend had hers medium it came out medium well and I asked for mine to be medium well and it came out well done burned on the bottom. The house blend of the burger wasn't very flavorful but that could be to the overcooking of the meat. There is also major inconsistencies in portions of the french fries each one of us had a different serving of fries on our plate my one friend hardly had any. The outdoor setting was nice the service wasn't horrible but I expected more for a Restaurant in Birmingham. We definitely will never go back due to the inconsistencies of the food and the lack of flavoring.

1  Thank Burke1024

Been to Toast? Share your experiences!