“Exceptional...again”
Review of The Forest Grill

The Forest Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Forest Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 101 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple & Woodward
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Exceptional...again”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Forest is a special restaurant. Creative menu that remains grounded with bistro classics and regional fare. Bold wine list that can go any direction you want. And one of the most knowledgable serving staffs in the business.

• Visited August 2011

Mystic, Connecticut
“Quality!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had a delicious dinner here and recommend it to anyone looking for a quality dining experience in Birmingham. The atmosphere was pleasant and quiet (we were able to converse without shouting!!!), our server was polite and attentive w/o being hovering or too personal, and the food was excellent. Preparation and presentation were top-notch and everything was really, really good. Standouts were the pork chop entree in a fantastic mustard sauce and the bread pudding dessert and the hazelnut semi-freddo with lemon infused latte foam. Save room for dessert, it's worth the calories, time and money. Or just go there for dessert and coffee (the coffee was good too). Really.

If they are still doing their 3 course prix-fixe menus (lunch $15, dinner $30) it's actually a bargain for the quality you get.

• Visited June 2011
Manhattan Beach, California
“Great dinner. One of the finest around here.”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This place has a cold modern feel and the menu seems limited, however, bacon encrusted salmon was excellent. I know bacon and salmon are an odd combination. When I want salmon its because I am trying to eat healthy but this combo worked really well. Wine list is unusual and that is a plus here. Over the five visits in two years we had excellent luck trying different wines without looking up WS or RP ratings. I have come to believe the sommelier really knows her stuff.

• Visited July 2011
Portland, MI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lived up to my every expectation!”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I had wanted to dine at Forest Grill since they opened, finally had an opportunity and was not disappointed. My friend and I shared a creative and delicious appetizer - 3 hollowed-out duck eggs with 3 different risottos. Each egg shell had a base of duck egg custard, then a distinctly different risotto in each: beet and green apple; parmesan reggiano and black truffle; and pancetta and basil. Delicious. We relied on Eric, our server, to suggest a wine that would complement all 3 - not an easy feat. Rousanne was a perfect pairing. Entrees were equally fine - scallops and pork belly in a carrot mousse for me - paired with a slightly off-dry Riesling. By the way, the frites are to die for - after reading about them in reviews, we had to try!

• Visited April 2011
Michigan
“Worst Server in History”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Our servier verbally challenged me 3 times on the tip, and stood at the server's stand, complaining and pointing at our table, loudly enough for me to hear exactly what he was saying from 15 feet away. This after leaving us sitting for over 20 minutes, offering nothing but water, for a dinner that was a preplanned menu, so all he had to do was pick up 5 plates and deliver them. No offer of coffee, and a smark alec "thank you ladies" when we left. I did tip 15%, I always tip at least 20% but this guy was the limit. I have dined all over the world in 5 star restaurants and have never been treated this rudely.

Visited March 2011