“Great mix of food choices on the menu.”
Review of Chen Chow Brasserie - CLOSED

Chen Chow Brasserie
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Old Woodward one block north of Maple
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Great mix of food choices on the menu.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Food is and always has been good. I have eaten both at the bar and in the dining area. I prefer their sushi and apps mostly. Meals there didn't really impress me the few times I ordered dinners.

• Visited March 2012

Detroit, Michigan
“Super lame”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Decided to go here because it was Birmingham restaurant week. Except, apparently, they forgot. I should have realized that this place was going to be lame when I got a rez for a Friday night at 8 o'clock at 2 o'clock on that same Friday. That one I am putting down as my bad. I get there and the bass is pumping like I'm at a club at 11 o'clock. Dude, it's 8 o'clock. I haven't even had a drink yet. I get seated. The server hands me the menus and tells me there is no restaurant week. Hmm, ok, whatever. She was then like "Can I get you a drink and an appetizer." Me: "You just gave me the menu. Give me like a minute." 15 minutes later, she comes over. We order the shrimp dumplings for the app and it is a total grease ball. All I could taste is the peanut oil. Lame. For dinner, I get some sushi and my super hot date gets the filet. The filet is actually cooked spot-on. Good job chen chow. The sushi is lack luster. The rice on the sushi was cold and dry. The fish was really fishy (not in a good way). I could go on and on but I don't want to relive my misery any longer. The place is just super lame.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Collin D
michigan
“felt like I was robbed!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Took my family of 6 out for my son's 18th birthday. We have been to Osaka, Ronin, and Mon Jin Lau, thought we would try something which I thought would be a little nicer. We went on a Monday night, I assumed we would get great service with it being slow there, not so. If aloof is what our server was going for he nailed it. It took 15 minutes for my first drink. Which was 12 bucks. I do not mind paying that if there is actually liquour in my martinis. Choose a different drink, that too was watery. My teenage son's commented on how loud and obnoxious the dub-step music was that overpowered our conversation. They also mentioned it was so dark they could not read the menu. Both the men and womens bathrooms had a horrific stench. The miso soup, which they love had no flavor, except for sour. The duet of tartar was tasty in flavor, but sadly it had no vessel in which to get the tiny pieces to our mouths. The duck tasted good but was such a small portion it would not have filled up my 12 year old, and the rice that was with it was uncooked. I realize how much food is for a family of 6, and how expensive sushi is, but for 325.00 it was soo not worth it! I also should mention that we saw a busser once. It is such a shame when you have to stack your dirty dishes and push them to the end of the table! Chen Chow needs to step it up a few notches! Needless to say, we will spend our money else where!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank momoffourboys
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Impressed!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I went there for dinner on NYE. We were able to get a reservation even though we called the day before. We are sushi lovers and having had the best in LA, NY & SF we were expecting good but not great. We were pleasantly surprised. Everything from drinks to dessert was amazing. The fish was fresh, food came out quickly and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu. I definitely recommend!

• Visited December 2012
Birmingham, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overall horrible experience”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is not good sushi. The fish wasn't fresh and some pieces even looked a little dehydrated. The rolls were small for the price we paid, my soup was lukewarm, our drinks were weak, and everything was way overpriced.

On top of the extremely bad food is the service. We walked in and there were 4 girls with way to much makeup on behind the hostess stand, with only 1 who said hi to us. The second hostess just looked at us, and the other two were chatting with each other. They behaved as though they were doing us a favor. Not a great way to start our dining experience.

We were very unhappy and will never go back. I don't know how this restaurant can survive with such terrible service and mediocre food quality and presentation. We don't need an over priced, low quality restaurant in a dying economy in Michigan. It's too bad I could not give a good review of a restaurant in my hometown, but this is not a place I recommend. This is not good sushi. Neither is it a good restaurant.

• Visited November 2012