“Clean and close to the mall”

Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Birch Run
Reviewed February 17, 2010

This hotel exceeded our expectations. It was very clean. Even the bathroom which I am always picky about. The room was a bit worn with outdated tv's and snagged carpet, but like I said very clean. The breakfast in the morning was pretty good. They had a few hot options such as eggs/sausage as well as the typical continental breakfast such as bagels etc. But we had our fill. The staff was pleasant and very friendly. Housekeeping did start down the hall rather early in the morning, which wasn't the best. The bed was comfortable but not amazing. you could feel some of the springs at times. It was a good experience and for the location would go back again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 22, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a few days after Christmas, so that I could do some shoppind and also visit Frankenmuth. The hotel was clean and the room was fine. The beds were perfect and the location was great. I would stay there again. The next time I hope to take a dip in the saltwater pool and see how that is. I understand though you have to be early to breakfast to get the good stuff!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Yuck. We tried to cancel our RSVP when we found out and go to another local hotel, but the manager said we wouldn't get a refund because we had booked online. Not a pleasant way to do business, if you ask me. The pool ruined this trip because we went there for the kids to swim. The water wasn't clear, it tasted bad to the kids, my son's eyes were red and sore for 36 hours, and everything in the pool room was rusted and coated in salt.

The heat in the hotel itself must have been about 90 degrees. Maybe if they want to save money on pool chlorine, they could just try turning the heat down. Even with the A/C on our room was hot all night.

The hotel and the rooms were very clean so I guess that's the bright side.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Check in was fast. The room on the third floor was very clean and everything was as it should be. The pool and spa area was nice and warm with plenty of dry towels on hand. The location is great with food and drink with in walking distance or a very short drive. The breakfast is great and the coffee is excellent.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We tend to stay a lot at HI and HIEs. This one is very typical. Nicer than usual lobby. Easy access. Close to the Outlet Mall. The breakfasts are HIE standard but there's enough choice so you don't get too bored. Good Internet access.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Reserved a room online, and upon arrival found out the hotel was booked with no rooms availabe. The manager had mistakenly canceled my reservation earlier in the day. Sorry you can try another Holiday Inn was all they could say. Needless to say it made for a horrible evening

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank badxl1200
Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I have chosen to stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels since we stayed in one in Mackinaw City, MI in 2006. We also stayed in the one in Middleton, RI in 2006. We have been very happy with Holiday Inn Express until we visited the one in Birch Run, MI. We stayed at the Birch Run facility in July 2009 overnight - on that occasion we checked in with an AARP discount, which when we checked out, I noticed we hadn't been given credit for the discount. When I brought it to the clerk's attention, he was rude and said, you're going to worry about $5.00? In the end, he gave us money out of petty cash, $5.00, because he couldn't figure out how to reverse the charge and re-enter correctly. I think that the difference was more than $5.00, but we moved on. I couldn't be bothered with his attitude. Most recently, we were in Michigan due to a death in my family and we decided to give the Holiday Inn Express another try because the location was near where we needed to be. The room in which we stayed, had a shower that made a high pitched noise when turned on, which sometimes ceased after a few minutes, sometimes not, the drain in the sink outside the bathroom did not drain, and the toilet got plugged up, not from anything as far as I can tell that we did. All of these things were not a big issue until added together with the fact that the hotel inactivated our room card keys sometime during the night prior to the morning of our scheduled checkout. I went down to the lobby at 3:30 am to get a plunger for the toilet, when I got back to my room on the third floor I was unable to re-enter the room because the card would not work. I didn't want to wake my husband, so I went back down to the lobby, the card was reactivated and worked. At 6 am, my husband went down to the lobby and got two coffees and brought them back up to the room. He could not get into the room because his room key card would not work. Since I was still sleeping, he had to go back to the lobby and have his card reactivated. We went down and ate breakfast around 7 am (by the way, the eggs were icky, undercooked each day) and then I went back up to the room to finish packing while my husband was getting a luggage rack, and once again, I COULD NOT get into my room! Finally, I was annoyed enough to let the hotel staff know I was annoyed. I asked if this is the hotel's policy and was told it is not. If check out time is 11:00 am, then I expect that I can get in and out of the room I paid for, until 11:00 am. We could only get decent internet service using our laptop, in the lobby - it wouldn't work well in the room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)? Share your experiences!