“Amazing Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Birch Run
“Amazing Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Great hotel near Prime Outlet Mall. The people in the front desk are very nice and polite. The room is very clean, the beds are comfortable. Free wifi was a great bonus. The pool was very nice, the water was warm and clean. There was a good breakfast. And the overall stay was very good.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank andrea596

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

For under $100 direct off HI website I'd rate this hotel very good. Stayed here to save money before going to Zehdners waterpark hotel. Check in offered cookies fresh out of the oven. The 2 front desk people were very also nice and friendly. The room was clean, the beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean also. The room walls were thin and the noisy children next door woke us up with slamming doors and running down the halls. We could hear the highway noise slightly from inside. The mini fridge was positioned in the middle of the room which was a bit noisy during the night even having a room facing the back. The TV had poor quality reception and the internet only worked every 5 minutes and then it would stop for 5, work for 5, stop for 5. Very annoying. The pool was nice and the breakfast was good value. All in all, a good overnight stay. You can't beat the location, right off the highway, few minutes to outlet and restaurants and 10 minutes to Frankenmuth.

Room Tip: Excellent value. Can't beat the price.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 2BoysHockeyMom
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Our group stayed here for 2 nights over a weekend. The hotel was almost fully booked. Although the hotel is away from the outlet mall, it is only a five minute drive and within walking distance to restaurants (5-7 minute walk to KFC, Halo Burger, Oscar and Joey's).

Our standard room with 2 beds was spacious and relatively clean. The hotel puts some sort of flooring in the bathtub to avoid slippage and this was peeling around the drain area. The room was relatively clean but I didn't think the bathtub flooring was cleaned well (probably needed to replace it).

The breakfast was okay. It's a decent hot buffet with some variety. Avoid the pancakes as the machine that makes it doesn't always work properly and the pancake doesn't taste like one. Holiday Inn should make their hot drink station available all day as this would be a nice thing to have (Hampton Inn has this feature), like their fresh baked cookies in the evenings.

Overall, not a bad place to stay if you are planning a shopping trip to Birch Run. Nice sized indoor pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near elevators, especially on first floor as rooms near elevators are also near the 2 si...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area), responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Wildkard,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with the tub in your room. I will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed here in March 2012 and it was the worst night's sleep I have had at a hotel and I love staying in hotels. They put us on the first floor near the vending machine and near the exterior door. The doors slammed closed late into the evening and very early in the morning. I understand that kids make noise, but kids were running up and down the hallway. The walls are so thin you can hear everyone in the next room and walking above us in their room. We had booked through expedia and I guess this is what you get when you book through an outside org to get a cheaper price. My recommendation is to just not stay at this place, there are many other hotels around.

The breakfast was not very good, the eggs were not cooked enough nor were the sausages. But the juice was great.

Room Tip: Book through Holiday to request anything but the first floor. Stay somewhere else :)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here in February of 2012. From the beginning, it was awesome! When we checked in the lady at the front desk was super nice, helpful and she even complimented my shirt. When we entered our room (two queen bed standard room) we were amazed on how updated and beautiful the room was. The beds were glorious and so very comfortable. The flat screen tv was awesome to have and loved watching it. In the morning, we went down and was prepared for a bad breakfast. But was happy to be proven wrong:) the breakfast had a large variety and plenty of food. One thing I loved is the service was on top of refilling all the trays. After breakfast we went to the pool. The water was warm, almost not refreshing but loved to swim in it. The shower after we swam was clean and enjoyable. Over all this hotel is 5 full stars. No bugs and nothing bad. One funny thing is at the beginning of your stay (if your in the priority club) they give you a priority club bag, with pretzels and a water bottle! It was funny but nice. I will be back and recommend this hotel very much!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Beentheredonethat987
Kimball, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My Husband and I stayed the weekend of February 17th to the 19th at the Holiday Inn for a nice get away for my Birthday. We checked in and went to our room which was located right next to the elevator/vending machine area (worse location ever)! The noise was annoying to say the least. The room was very clean and no issues besides all the missed match decor and the fact that the room was like 85 degrees. Tried to turn the AC unit on however it didn't seem to cool it off at all. Other guests on the 2nd floor were complaining about the same thing as we waited for the elevator. Saturday morning 6:30am (my Birthday) we were woken by kids running down the hall yelling, which they did most of the night. So we got up to go down and try the hot breakfast bar. What a joke!! The eggs were running and raw, the sausage was nothing more then a cold grease patty, the coffee tasted like nothing more then hot water (so bad that we had to go to the gas station near by to buy coffee)~! All that aside we tried to make the best of it. Went back to our room to shower and get ready to do some shopping. The shower head made this very loud squealing noise the entire time you were in there, so had to shower quickly cause I could not stand listening to it. We finally got out to do some shopping around 11:00 am. Came back to the hotel around 8:00 pm only to find a note reminding us that there is a $250.00 cleaning charge for smoking in the room and if we wanted to smoke we needed to go outside! Really?? We NEVER smoked in the room, so we went down to talk to the front desk about it, she had no idea who left the note or why. The only thing she could think of was that because of the busy weekend maybe the notes were being left as reminders. I found it to be rude and not needed as we were told at check in of the non smoking policy. Stopped to check out the pool when we left the front desk, a soak in the hot tub would have been nice after a long day of shopping. That wasn't going to happen as the pool had about 50 kids in it and the hot tub which only held about 10 people already had 20 people in it. Sunday morning once again woken up by load noises in the hallway! We were ready to get out of this hotel anyways at this point! My husband took our luggage out to the truck and then of course was locked out as his key card would not work. Another guess coming out let him in. He told the guy to test his card before he left the door to make sure he would be able to get back in and of course his didn't work either. If check out is at 11:00 then the key cards should work until then! The manager Andy checked us out. We mentioned all of this to him and also asked him about the smoking reminder note that was left. He said he wrote it and that when he was in our room it had an over powering smell of smoke in there. I told him we DID NOT smoke in the room at all!! He said he was a smoker himself and that if he could smell it we must have! First of all I am a honest person that don't break rules and I was completely appalled at the accusation and the fact that he was calling me a lair to my face!! I told him we went out to our truck every time we smoked and that the smell is probably on our clothes. He said "well I didn't charge you the $250.00 cleaning fee," REALLY?? I don't even care about the money. He totally insulted me and my integrity is worth much more to me then the $250.00. After I had words with him about some of the issues I had during my stay he offered me a $20.00 coupon off my next stay there as if I would EVER go back to that hotel and stay again after the way I was treated!! I could look past the noise and the awful breakfast that I couldn't even eat, I could even look past the over crowed pool area and the closet game room, that had 4 games in it, but I can't overlook the way we were treated by Andy the hotels manager!! That ruined my stay at the Holiday Inn and my Birthday!!! I paid over $200.00 for a standard room and what I got was less then standard at this hotel unless standard is being treated like crap and being severed a cold raw breakfast....

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a good room at this Holiday Inn, just make sure you don't get a room by the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amy W
Cadiz, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

staff was always pleasant and helpful, room was clean, bed was very comfortable, staff always working hard to be helpful, good trip

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
#4 of 7 in Birch Run
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birch Run (Frankenmuth Area)? Share your experiences!