“Always a pleasure”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Birch Run
Walton, Ontario
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Love to shop in Birch Run and Frankenmuth, and when we go, this BW, which has grown from a little family hotel is always our home base! Besides the absolutely awesome deals at the mall, going here feels like going back to a familiar comfy family cottage. This time we noticed some improvements made since last summer. Our fav room, 230 with a queen and 4 bunks, had been spruced up with new carpet and paint. The breakfast setup was more efficient with several more waffle makers. The rest of the buffet is now along the bar adjacent to the breakfast room - very convenient, and none of the lines I have seen on busy Sunday mornings in the past. At BW Birch Run, you know what to expect - good hospitality, a free drink at happy hour :), delicious pizza made on site, friendly staff, consistent breakfast food, and a few drinks and laughs. There's always lots of other "shopping" families around to meet in the pool area, the bar and the breakfast room. Can't wait to visit and shop this summer!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids or a larger family, ask about the bunk bed rooms!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

to receive your kind words of praise regarding our hotel and your visits with us.
Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes
that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

(989) 624-9395

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Booked a 2-day event here for my business in late March 2012. The property is easy to find, right off the highway, and very close to Birch Run shopping.

We showed up at 4pm on the first day to setup for an event that started at 6pm. The room was not ready, and the person in charge of setup had gone home for the day. Apparently she had looked at the calendar wrong.

Fortunately, someone was able to get a hold of her, and she lived close by. The rest of the staff kicked it in high gear to get our room ready for us.

The main hotel and lobby are nicely decorated and were remodeled a few years ago. For some reason they neglected to include the meeting room in the remodeling plans. The tables were beat up and wobbly. The chairs were high-backed wooden dining chairs that were also well worn (not padded stacking chairs). The linens were mismatched sizes and stained, and there were no table skirts. I appreciate the manager's conscientious effort to iron the tablecloths, but she didn't much to work with.

The meeting room has windows along the whole wall that adjoins the hallway, so privacy is minimal. We had one gawker walk right into a coat rack because she was watching us, not where she was going! In addition, a video arcade is directly across the hall, so we had noise from machines and kids most of the time during our event.

Because we had a two day event, I booked a room through Hotwire, and it turned out to be the same property, which was obviously convenient. When I asked about a late checkout, the front desk clerk allowed us a noon checkout for free, and offered a late afternoon checkout for a nominal charge.

The sleeping rooms were top notch for 2-star motel-type of property. The beds were comfortable, the room smelled of new carpet, and the towels were fluffy and clean. Our rooms were away from the road, and quiet.

Breakfast was ample, and they offer a manager's reception in the evening that we did not take advantage of.

Although we won't be booking this hotel again for our business functions unless they remodel, I would recommend this property for anyone who's looking for a comfortable room at a good price near Birch Run or Frankenmuth. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside of the courtyard to minimize traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'm concerned about the issues you experienced at our
hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to
bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We were on the road late and just needed a place to stay for the night. Found BW on Priceline and was pleasantly surprised at the friendly check in, late serving hours, and more than adequate breakfast. Cook on duty prepared us an awesome meal and came out to check on us several times after 9:30 p.m. 4 star treatment on a budget. Room was typical of this type of hotel - clean and well kept. RECOMMEND, I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012
to receive your kind words of praise for our property.
Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I rated this hotel based on its 2 star rating. I think it was a very good value. Even the bad review (which was based mostly on bad patrons) stated very positive things about the hotel. The location is very good for the tourist and shopper.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Gear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our property. I am grateful that you took the time to let us know of your satisfaction. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western of Birch Run/ Frankenmuth the next time you are in the area. We look forward to your return.

London, Ontario
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We had a lovely holiday when we took our grandson away for the March Break. We were treated like we were members of their family by the staff. Michelle the Owner is super friendly. Enough cannot be said about Doreen who runs the breakfast, the bar at night and also the restaurant. She is wonderful. Think about it! Go there you will have fun

Room Tip: Close to Birch Run. Myjers is around the corner. Their restaurant is fantastic
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Gear Guest,
Thank you for the taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such a complimentary review. I am passing on your comments, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to our staff to continue their efforts. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again next year! We look forward to your return!

Ontario
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We just spent one night at this hotel. We checked in late, just looking for a decent night's sleep.

The good things:
- the room was great for us - it had kind of a separate area for the kids with bunks and room for a playpen, plus a TV mounted on the wall. No door, but the kids slept fine, even with us getting ready for bed and watching the news.
-the two queen beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. The carpet felt a little sticky or tacky, but other than that it was spotless.
-the breakfast was pretty good - choices for the kids and the coffee was fresh and tasty.

The things that made it hellish:
-we could not sleep for two reasons:
1. The heating/air conditioning unit made a banging/clicking noise on and off, all night long. It was loud enough to jolt you out of a sleep. We were not willing to wake up the kids and switch rooms, so we tried to make do. We eventually just shut it off and slept in a cold room.

2. The room next door was occupied by 4 teeenage (14 or 15 year old girls) who screamed, slammed the door, and ran up and down the halls screaming for HOURS . Finally, at 2AM, I went out to have a word with them, as they had awakened us and our children numerous times. Their parents were nowhere to be found. In addition, a group of people were sitting outside their room, one level down, drinking and smoking and talking loudly. When the noise from both parties continued, I called the front desk and asked to have a manager or security sent over to deal with these two issues. The woman at the front desk informed me that she was the only staff member on duty, and that there was nothing she could do except call the room of the girls. She did. The girls continued their behaviour at a slightly reduced noise level, but still were loud enough that no one in our room got any sleep. The party on the lower level continued on with no one speaking to them about their noise level.
I spoke to the girls and their "parent" in the morning. She informed me that the front desk was aware of the fact that the girls would be staying in the room without parental supervision. She actually told me that she "warned them" about this fact. When I went to check out, I informed the front desk employees about both problems, and told them that I got about an hour and a half of cold sleep for the $100 I paid the Best Western. I acknowledged that it was certainly not the two employees' fault, but that I was very dissatisfied with the noise level caused by the equipment in the room and with the lack of staff on hand to deal with problems on a Saturday night. They were defensive, did not apologize, denied knowing that the kids were on their own, and agreed only to "make a note" of the noise caused by the heat/air equipment.
I understand that these types of situations arise at hotels, and I don't expect silence by any means, but having one female employee on hand to deal with all the problems that could arise at a large hotel on a Saturday night? Also, I sure don't need the condescending attitude from the employees. I was polite and made it clear that I knew it was not their fault. Give me a break Best Western - not what I expected. I have stayed with Best Western frequently over the years, and have experienced friendly staff and assistance in solving any problems that came up. After that brutal night, I won't be booking Best Western anytime in the near future.
Skip this hotel, head down the the road, and cough up the extra few bucks and stay at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth. I wish I had. We stayed there the following night and they enforce their quiet between 11-7 policy. For me, a decent night's sleep is worth it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kim K, Front Office Manager at Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth. I appreciate your taking the time to write and hope you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced.
I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accomodations, service and consideration we strive for with all our guests - the type of service we pride ourselves in. I have investigated your comments and will take steps to ensure that the problems you experienced don't happen again. My staff will also be made aware of your comments and we will all take immediate corrective action.
We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western of Birch Run/ Frankenmuth the next time you are in Birch Run. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one as we illustrate that what happened to you was an unfortunate excveption to our normally high quality of service.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed on the second floor above the lobby in a room with a king bed.

Pros: It was spacious, clean, odorless & the perfect temperature when we arrived.

Cons: it was an adjoining room & we could hear their conversation & TV. Unfortunatley they woke us up with their very loud voices. halls were also very noisy after 7:30am. Not a place to sleep in.

Would have been nice if...
1. There was a garbage in each room.
2. Washcloths for the shower.
3. Shower head had better pressure.
4. If they told us about cocktail hour that was happening during our check in because we missed it.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birch Run
#4 of 7 in Birch Run
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
Drury Inn & Suites Frankenmuth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Frankenmuth

Been to Best Western of Birch Run/Frankenmuth? Share your experiences!