“new place off to a decent start” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Placita - CLOSED

La Placita
Cuisines: Mexican
Monroe, MI
“new place off to a decent start”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good food and friendly staff. Very busy and sometimes long wait for food but its tasty. Wish they served beer.

Visited December 2012

Bridgeport, MI
“What a Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've tried La Placita twice now. The first time we went they were quite busy and the service was absolutely terrible. Took about 30 minutes for us to get our food. We are talking about Mexican food, which usually takes about 5-10 minutes at any other Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten at. But like I said, they were busy, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt that this isn't normal. When the food arrived, it was bland and okay at best, but at least it was edible. The salsa tastes like its made with ketchup and there is very little flavor to the chicken. With all that, I decided to give them another try and stopped in for some take out on my way home last night. I got the diner, and there were 2 tables in there, one getting ready to cash out, and the other just getting their food. I sat there for a couple minutes while the server did, well I'm not sure why she wasn't helping me. She took my order, which she had a hard time doing even tho I was pointing to the menu as I ordered. Then I sat and waited. I pulled out my Debit card and sat it on the counter, trying to politely say, "I'd like to pay now so when my food is done I can just leave". Well she just walked back and forth laughing it up with the other server for the next 10 minutes, never once paying any attention to me. While I was sitting there she brought out the food for the table that was already there. They were the only other people in the place so it was easy to overhear that she had got there order wrong. No surprise to this guy, as I already said she had trouble taking my order as well. Back to the point. I sat there another 5 minutes, finally flagged her down and had to ask if I could pay her. Then I sat and waited some more. I ordered a chimichanga, and their "famous Ruiz Taco". All in all I was in there about 25 minutes waiting for my order. Drove home and attempted to eat my food. The famous Ruiz taco was terrible. The shell looked and tasted burnt. I will say the roast beef inside the taco was pretty good. I picked it out and ate that, and only that. The chimichanga was god awful bad. There were about 5 pieces of shredded cheese on it, disappointment there, and then there was this ?gravy?....I'm not sure. It tasted like playdoh....at best, and looked even worse. Let me try to describe it. It is a whitish, clearish, translucent type liquid, about medium viscosity, with some parts a little thicker than others....ok I'll just say it, it looks like semen. I threw away about 80% of this $11 meal. I will never return to this place, and will strongly recommend against going there to anyone who asks. BAD BAD BAD.....

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank STK007
saginaw, michigan
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

The place was very busy and they ran out of soda! Not that busy. They told us the manager was on a run to get more. Eventually we saw sodas being served but we were never offered any. So we continued drinking our water. Food was tasty but a bit over priced for what you get.

Michigan
“Same as it ever was”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Same ownership has moved from Saginaw to Birch Run. Have taken over the old diner which was there previous, looks like the throwback silver train car type of building. Inside there is both booth seating as well as ability to sit at the counter.

Menu is pretty much the same as before with their signature Ruiz Taco, which is basically an oversized taco with a shell that is a deep fried dough. Still offered with beef, chicken and shredded beef. I usually stick with this choice as its tasty, filling and still a decent value though the size has went down over time. I have had their Nachos, Flautas and Tostadas at the old location and all were flavorful, would expect the same here.

They offer 2 salsas, both home made. To those who have not had it before, the mild is tangy, probably a medium on most people's measure. But its very thick and flavorful. The "hot" isn't overly spicy, but has a more smoky flavor. Personally I like to mix the 2 together.