“Bed Bugs Room 202”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Birch Run
“Bed Bugs Room 202”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

It was my friends Birthday weekend, so we decided to go to Birch Run, shop, then spend some time in Frankenmuth. At 3pm I checked in, however, we did not go into the room until after we had completed our planned events for the evening (Thank God). We made it to the room between 9.30-10PM. First off, the room was dirty, musty, and had hair in the shower/tub. I contacted Emily at the front desk, voiced my concerns regarding the dirty room, then requested some disinfectant so that I could clean. Emily provided me with some sort of spray, per my request.

I went back to the room and proceeded to spray down the rest-room's shower area, toilet, sink, counters, etc. I wiped, and sprayed throughout the room. I felt that I should also spray the sheets as well, since everything seemed rather filthy in my opinion. I honestly would not have felt comfortable laying on the sheets otherwise. Once I pulled the sheets back, I witnessed 3 bed bugs crawling. I contacted Emily at the front desk to let her know that I had just seen bed bugs, and needed to check out of the room "immediately." I proceeded to grab all of our items single handed (in one trip), because my friend and her daughter had gone to the pool pretty much as soon as we arrived to the hotel. My goal was not to take any critters home with me. Once I made it downstairs, I had to inform my friend that we had to check out of the hotel due to bed bugs. She was extremely disappointed, considering that it was her birthday, and they had literally (within 20 minutes) just made it to the pool.

Emily was extremely nice, but unfortunately, this experience superseded the great experience that we had encountered up until that point. It really put a damper on the evening all together. As I was standing at the front desk (after removing my items from the room), there were at least two additional customers that complained of a dirty room - which means that there may be a cleanliness problem. An older (really nice) lady (accompanied by a teen aged male) came into the sliding doors and asked Emily if she had gotten a chance to get to her room yet. She proceeded to ask her if she had sprayed around the window seals, around the bed, and in the restroom. Emily assured her that she had sprayed, and that all was well. I did not ask her what her issue was, because at that point, I was extremely disappointed, and did not want to make my situation worse by knowing.

After finding out all of the rooms in the area were "booked," we ended up having to drive back home, which was a total inconvenience.

I had hoped to hear from a Manager the next day, just as a courtesy follow up. Well, that did not happen (right away). I contacted the hotel and spoke with Emily (that next evening). She remembered me and my ordeal. I let her know that I was somewhat perplexed as to why I had not heard from a Manager regarding my experience. She stated that she would relay the message and have him contact me the next day.

The Manager Andy left me a message the day after I spoke with Emily regarding the call from a Manager. A few days later, I returned his call. I must admit, I was absolutely stunned at the conversation. Andy had not contacted me to say "sorry for your experience." To be honest, I am not sure why he contacted me. By the end of our conversation, I was somewhat appalled. He stated that Emily ( the front desk clerk) did not see any bugs when she went to observe, and that if there were any, I must have brought them with me. What!!!! First off Emily never went to the room prior to my departure (I was in the lobby for at least 35 min or more), even after I requested her to. She stated that she was alone at the desk, and could not leave her post. However, she did state to a previous customer that she went to the room and sprayed. Either she did not goto the room to spray or she just did not want to go observe the room. If it's the latter, then I don't blame her. Anyone who has heard anything about "bed bugs" on the news, etc., knows that the last thing you want to do is to take them home. Hypothetically speaking Emily did goto the room at some point, and did not see any bugs. That would not be shocking considering that bugs have legs, and they crawl. I had the sheets partially pulled down, and unless you actually pulled the covers all the way down or off (and lift up pillows), you would not have been able to do a thorough investigation.

At any rate, whether or not Emily went to observe the bedding or not, Andy should never have contacted me with the goal of disputing whether or not I saw any bugs. Furthermore, should never have insinuated that I could have potentially brought them with me. His call to me should have simply been, "I apologize for your inconvenience..." I have lodged all over the US, and out of US for work. I have never seen the lack of professionalism demonstrated to this degree at any establishment, up until now.

This entire situation has left me with a bad taste. For this reason, I will never lodge at another Country Inn & Suite again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run, MI and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Munising, Michigan
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Initially we were impressed..Staff was very helpful and friendly. However, it became evident that the lobby was kept very well in comparison to the other part of the property. Upon entering the elevator our expectations began to decline and our room was no better. The bathroom molding was covered in dust that was caked on from not being cleaned for a long time. Toilet wasn't working properly and the shower head was pulled out from the wall. Carpets are worn and soiled and even though the sheets were clean the rest of the room's cleanliness made our stay uncomfortable. Simple and thorough cleaning is not hard - it just needs to be done consistently.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
9896248000, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. I am sorry for the disappointing condition you found the bathroom and carpeting. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

All Country Inns are great but the staff was particularly helpful and thoughtful. Everything was spotless. The pool area was great and the spot was not overly chlorinated. Breakfast - as usual - for Country Inns was really good, with tons of variety. We will surely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
marquette, mi
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Location is great for walking to shopping. Rooms average with some areas looking a bit run down.
Staff friendly. Breakfast could use some healthier choices, such as individual yogurt, not one big bowl to dip in. All in all comfortable, may return hoping for a couple upgrades to room, hallways.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked the romance package. It included a hot tub in the room. The hot tub was nice. The room was not so romantic. It looked tired and poorly finished. The indoor pool was small and it reeked of chlorine. The romance package included a bottle of wine, which we could have bought ourself for 5 bucks in a grocery store. All in all the only real good thing about the place was the vicinity to the outlet mall. Romance package not worth the extra money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Birch Run
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been staying in this hotel for over two weeks for business and then another possible 2 weeks after that. Amazingly hospitable people with great rooms and an even better breakfast. if i were to stay anywhere in the area again that would defiantly be the place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Overall our stay was great. We were close to shopping and a short drive to Frankenmuth. Breakfast was fine but they did run ou of orange juice. Otherwise the selection was good. The only issue I had is that the tub drain was clogged and drained very slow. Other than that would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Frankenmuth
The Marv Herzog Hotel
The Marv Herzog Hotel
#4 of 8 in Frankenmuth

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Birch Run? Share your experiences!