“Seemed too Confining” 3 of 5 bubbles

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Seemed too Confining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I appreciate that these animals are expensive to maintain but many of the enclosures seemed too confining for the animals/birds housed there.

4 Thank MichiganMrs

Byron, Michigan
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“More of a farm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I went here and was disappointed. It has more farm animals then zoo animals. They have double and triple fences around the animals, so taking pictures is next to impossible. And the enclosures are very long and back to back. They need a walkway between them. If the animals are at the end were the cages meet up you can't see them at all. The lizard area was closed. I enjoyed the bears, coatamundi and otter otherwise not much. And like I said not good for taking picutres.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Laciport
Michigan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“The poor animals!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I had driven by this attraction many times but had never gone because it was always out of season. Finally was in the area and it was open so I talked my son into having this be my father's day present even though I knew he was reluctant to go...Well, wish I had gotten another present because this was upsetting. There is a great variety of animals and interesting enough animals for this to be considered an actual zoo-there are lions, bears, wolves, foxes, reptiles, zebras, etc. The problem is that the habitats for a good many of them are just substandard if not criminal. A lot of the cages have concrete floors and just chain link fence. The monkeys had a bunch of garbage in their cage which I think was supposed to be considered toys but really? One of the zebras came right up to the fence and just stood there for a long time which was exciting until I noticed how cracked the hooves were and how it had difficulty walking. The animals in the petting zoo area were lethargic. I read other reviews before writing this one and am sorry to note that the pacing bear is still pacing. Lastly and less important than the animals' health is the fact that all the staff I saw were bored teenagers texting on their cell phones and not acknowledging the guests. Would never go here again and do not recommend that they even be allowed to stay open!!

Visited June 2012
14 Thank jwax67
Yale, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very Disappointing Zoo”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had been to this zoo about 10 years ago. I remember it being better. This trip was a disappointment. All the animal exhibits were very small and most of the animals looked unhappy or bored. I understand that they have only so much area to work with but the poor animals just looked so sad. I remember when we went there last time, you could feed the bear but buying a large sweet tart and rolling it into the cage for the bear. That was gone. The bear was pacing the cage and I felt that it was all it had to do. There was a new butterfly house that they added but that was also disappointing. Very small and not many butterflies. It looks like they are going to add a reptile area but this place was either still under construction or had not opened for the season yet. There is a pond that has some fish and turtles. See photos for some of the exhibits. Also, there is so much fencing every where that it is hard to take a picture of the animals.

This was just a disappointing visit over all

Visited May 2012
7 Thank Christine H
Big Rapids
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Zoo located in Frankenmuth/Birch Run”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Nice way to spend few hours with the kids! Trees and shade make this enjoyable on a summer day. Nice selection of animals in friendly open grazing areas, unlike some zoo's. This is a Frankenmuth treasure...that it not advertized enough. ( A little pricey, but worth it if you spend a few hours.)

Visited August 2011