“Romantic, unusual, and worth the trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bay
Big Bay Point Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Big Bay B&B and Inns
New Haven
“Romantic, unusual, and worth the trip”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night and loved it. The photos on their website do not do justice to the quaint, attractive interiors. Our room had exposed brick, a small gas fireplace, and a view of Lake Superior. The 5 pm "history of the lighthouse" talk in the livingroom was interesting and informative. The breakfast was delicious. The innkeepers are incredibly nice and go above and beyond to help. Where else can you stay overnight in a historic lighthouse keeper's house and climb the stairs to a working lighthouse? We loved it.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank JennyGB

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We drove 10 hours to stay a long weekend at the Big Bay Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast. The property is beautiful. Having access to the tower was a great perk, as was the spa service available in the Massage Hut located on a small bluff right over Lake Superior. Linda and Jeff were helpful, inviting, and attentive hosts! Breakfast was amazing every morning. We enthusiastically recommend this to anyone who truly wants to get away from it all and just relax.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lis527
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my wife and I first bed & breakfast experience, It was a surpise getaway for her 60th birthday. We drove the 8 or so hours to get there and our overall experience was wonderful.

When I looked up the reviews for this place I noted 4 out 5 stars for the overall rating. I scrolled down to see the "poor" reviews and came to the conclusion I would put my trust in the positive reviews and I'm glad I did. I don't want to take to much time on the negative reviews but some things need to be said for future guests. Jeff and Linda were not the ogre's some claim them to be - not to us anyway. I guess when you expect people to be the way "you want them to be" many times you end up disappointed. I don't know if my wife and I would ever be best friends with the Keepers but they did a fine job of being cordial and what more should you ask for?

As one negative reviewer commented...they are from Chicago and not historian lighthouse keepers - or words to that effect. Yes, they were from the Chicago area however have owned and lived in the lighthouse since 1991. In my book 20 plus years of being "Keepers" of the lightouse is substancial and I would think most would agree. They certainly do know the history and background of this place and shared it with us which we appreciated.

If you are into massages Deborah, an outside service provider did a great job. The sauna at the foot of the stairs leading up to the top of the lighthouse was also unexpected and could be used whenever you wanted.

Breakfast both mornings was very good. Just because what Linda prepared may not have been perfect for some and may not have been a favorite of theirs does not make it a bad breakfast. It very well simply could be not to your liking. The variety they offered was plentyful and should be able to satisfy most peoples hunger. I had no problerm finding "something" to suffice my appetite. I should have asked Linda if she was a mind reader as she may have needed to be to satify those that did not like her breakfast. That way she could serve them exactly what they want. Then again I doubt it as some people simply like to look for something to complain about. Day 1 menu included 3 different kinds of coffee, multiple tea choices, orange and cranberry juice, grapefruit bowl, bananas, sliced cranberry loaf, banana pancakes with syrup, and sausage links. Day 2 - Same drink choices as day 1, homemade fruit cocktail with apples, strawberries, mandarin oranges, and bananas in a delicious amaretto sauce, eggs florentine, bacon, raisin & white bread toast with 6 choices of beautifully displayed jams.

We stayed in the Keepers Duffrain room which is large and cozy. It served our purpose very well and we loved it!

As most reviews have said the lighthouse was absolutely charming. Was everything perfect? We did not expect it to be. After all it was built in 1896. Having said that I would not hesitate to suggest taking in this B&B. If you are used to staying at tthe Ritz do yourself and other reviewers a favor and "DO NOt STAY HERE" As I have learned over the years - if you want to look for bad in life you will certainly find it. Go with the flow, be open to things not being perfect, (imagine that) and add this experience to your bucket list. My lighthouse loving wife loved your place and so did I. Thank you Jeff & Linda. Dennis & Vickie.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dpclotworthy
Dearborn, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a wonderful visit at the Big Bay Point Lighthouse B&B. I can't say enough good things about it.

We had car trouble on the way up, so were late, but Jeff was very gracious and easily able to accommodate us. We were warmly greeted, and felt welcome and relaxed right from the get go. Jeff gave us a quick and informative tour before showing us to our room, which was clean and cozy.

We got the large room with a couch and table. Jeff and Linda have lovingly restored the lighthouse in the years that they've lived there; they've done a wonderful job. I believe that all of the rooms have both fireplaces and private bathrooms now. We felt relaxed and comfortable looking out over Lake Superior drinking wine or coffee, and reflecting on the day.

And don't worry if you forget something, they're sure to have some on hand. My favorite was the lip balm with the lighthouse logo printed on the top. This and other items are for sale if you want to bring home some souvenirs.

Linda and Jeff are friendly and knowledgeable. They're happy to chat with you on any topic you can imagine: dog sled races, cross country skiing, historic home restorations, food, politics, outhouse races, the history of the lighthouse, etc. They gave us excellent suggestions and directions on where to go cross-country skiing. Weather info, and suggestions for activities are posted daily on the cork board.

After getting back from skiing the sauna felt wonderful! What a treat. And if you've forgotten your bathing suit, no worries, mens' and womens' wraps are provided.

And, don't forget, it's a lighthouse! Take the time to go up the stairs to enjoy the view from the top of the lighthouse.

Breakfast was flavorful and varied. My favorite was the eggs florentine with bacon. Fruit, yogurt and cereal are always available if you don't care for what's being served for breakfast. Snacks -- fruit, cookies and pretzels -- are always out for the taking. Marquette is close by if you want more options for lunch and dinner. Or bring food with you to prepare if you like. All the guests have kitchen privileges if desired...just clean up after yourself. Fresh coffee is always available either in the dining room or in your room. There are a few flavors to choose from, or bring your own.

Really, they've thought of everything. It's a shame that they've had to split up the property in order to sell it. And even then it's going to be hard to find a new owner. I only hope that the new owners will keep it open as a B&B. The Big Bay Point Lighthouse is a very special place to get away from it all and relax.

P.S. Some people are B&B people, and some are not. People who expect B&Bs to be hotels will be disappointed. For example, if you can't manage walking up narrow stairs, need other people to carry your bags, are uncomfortable chiming in during a conversation at the breakfast table, are adverse to insects and wildlife, don't care to respect the simple rules of the proprietors, or are afraid of other guests stealing your stuff, then you should not stay at B&Bs in the country. It would be better for you -- and for the other B&B guests -- if you stayed at a hotel. The Hampton Inn in Marquette would better suit you, for example. But if you are a B&B type of person, then you are going to LOVE this one!!! It is truly special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deb S
michigander
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We found the Big Bay Point Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast AMAZING!!! We came here for a night to celebrate our wedding anniversary..it was a great experience. We were greeted @ the door by owner and could smell the warm cookies that just came out of the oven (baked especially for us). The coffee, hot water, (for tea or apple cider) was available 24hours..there were snacks on the coffee table in the living room, fresh fruit, microwaveable popcorn also.We were pleased by the cozy atmosphere of this historic lighthouse. A warm fire in the fireplace greeted us in the living room, with classical music playing. We were given a tour and told we were free to use the lighthouse as we wanted...including the library (which had a DVD/VCR with a large number of tapes and DVD's) @ 5 we met in the living room for the "history of the lighthouse and this area" We found the owner very knowledgeable and interesting.
We love lighthouses and were thrilled to have this opportunity to stay here. Our room was amazing also with beautiful views of Lake Superior, Huron Mountains and the peninsula it was warm and inviting also, the fireplace took the chill out of the cold winter day, the bed was comfy, and the large sitting area was a great place to relax. We loved climbing the tower to the top of the lighthouse (and did it several times) We also enjoyed the sauna , which is located in the lighthouse tower. They even thought of supplying the sauna with towel wraps. My next surprise was to find toasty warm towels as I got out of the shower..(I have traveled alot and have never seen towel warmers..what a great touch) Breakfast was wonderful..fresh fruit with a amaretto sauce...fruit juice, fresh homemade pumpkin bread, homemade waffles with fresh strawberries and blueberries and freshly whipped cream and sausage links. The coffee was excellent and flavored creamers added to our delight.. We left here wanting to stay longer..loved every bit of it..the great books, the house decorated so warmly for Christmas with nautical touches everywhere. We would like to come back again!! Highly recommend this.

Room Tip: Look on their website and check out the rooms first..it will help you to pick out something you woul...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank seni0r
Owosso, Michigan
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The lighthouse is a wondeful B&B, but the keepers need to welcome all of the guests the same. Myself and wife found them to be rude, not wanting us to join in on the conversation with them and others. We had got a very cold feeling from the keepers. The keepers want you to think they are "Lighthouse Experts" and the come off as know it alls of the U.P., when in fact they are from inner city Chicago, retired from the Chicago public school system. The breakfast was not good. I have had etter from the free buffet at a hotel. And again myself and wife sat with out conversation at the table with the keepers and the other guests. This is a beautiful B&B property, but the keepers make it a bad nights stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Jason B
Port St John
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had been excited to stay at a Lighthouse B&B as it would suggest a historic look at the past however when we arrived we were greeted with a lecture on the do's and don'ts. He just started right in, no hello, thanks for choosing us, just the rules which lead us to believe he has been a Inn Keeper to long as it seemed to be a standard line. The accommondation were nice and there was a lot of history. The coffee we were told was hand pick by the Inn Keepers and left a lot to be desired. At best it was warm and lacked body. Morning breakfast, well that is a whole nother story. Store bought muffins and if you had pancakes you were instructed 3 times how to use there syrup dispenser, just in case you did not get it the first time.

The property around the Lighthouse is being sold by the owners so I am sure once finilized he and his wife will enjoy waking up to only serve themselves.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#8 of 19 in Marquette
Ramada Marquette
Ramada Marquette
#7 of 19 in Marquette

Been to Big Bay Point Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!