“Blackjack Rocks”

Blackjack Ski Area
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Bessemer
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Indianhead Mountain and Blackjack Mountain are now Big Snow Resort. Ski and board both resorts on one ticket. Indianhead and Blackjack Mountains are famous for the quantity and quality of their snow and downhill terrain, offering a great ski and snowboard experience. The full-service resort offers lodging at both Indianhead and Blackjack Mountains, dining, a health & racquet club, indoor pool, spa and sauna. The ski area offers 56 trails, winding down 638 vertical feet, over 410 skiable acres with diverse difficulty. Many on-resort dining options with recently updated menus. Lots of things to do on and off the slopes, including on-site snowmobile rental, snowshoeing, Kinder Country Day Care, ski/board lessons and more.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 10, 2013

New owner, new management, new attitude! A true "customer first"
atmosphere. Great snow making lays down a nice base for the U.P.'s 200+ inches of annual snow. Very kid friendly on the hills & the best bartenders in the area, make Blackjack a great destination no matter what your priorities are.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"groomers"
"cafeteria"

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We love Blackjack as it has terrain for all abilities and a great lodge. The kids love the snowboard park and we all meet at the bottom at the end of the day for a cocktail and entertainment.

1  Thank Ricky J
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Fair hill, friendly staff, groom good. Nothing wrong with hill just small and steep and for $99 pass can't go wrong.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent the week of Valentine's in one of the trailside condos. The first day of skiing resulted in a knee injury so we decided Tuesday would be a good day to get toasty at the bar. We walked in with the intention to drop $100, but soon learned that was not the kind of bar where we could accomplish such a task. There was one other customer in the bar and a bartender when we arrived, and at the busiest point there were a total of 5 customers (including my boyfriend and I). We ordered two beers and asked to see a menu, but apparently the menu in our condo was out-dated because we were told the bar only serves pizza and appetizers. We got buffalo wings and cheese curds, which were over cooked (no cheese, just empty breading). At this point we realized we should make different plans for dinner so we asked for our check. Our total came to $22.57 so I put down two 20's and waited for change (at this point I was still willing to tip more than 10%). The bartender was preoccupied on her cell phone, so she never picked up the cash to break the second 20, which I exchanged for a 5 and we left. I've been in the service industry for a long time and am probably the most forgiving customer that a bad bartender could hope for, but this went beyond being ignored. On Friday after we checked out of our condo we decided to give the bar a second chance. This time there were 3 bartenders and a server so getting our two bloody mary's was no problem, however there seemed to be confusion as to who was "helping" us, because not one of them ever asked if we wanted another round. We sat with empty glasses (not to mention a 20 on the bar waiting to be picked up) for approximately 5 minutes while the bartenders walked right by us to straighten napkins and clean. We stood up and got our jackets on but that didn't catch their attention either. If it were up to me, we would've left and been on the slopes long before flagging someone down, but my boyfriend insisted we stay and wait to avoid trouble. Finally, two bartenders approached us and asked if we needed anything, so we were able to pay and leave. Needless to say, we'll be checking out a different resort next time.

3  Thank LBWorth
See more reviews
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have enjoyed skiing as a family but have a hard time finding affordable places to rent equipment and lift tickets for a family of 4. We had a long weekend, so my husband did some searches for family, friendly ski areas within driving distance from our home. We chose Blackjack ski area because of their deals on lift tickets and rentals. We were there on a Sunday and the place was not busy at all. I'm not sure if it was because it was cold or what, but we enjoyed the short lines on the lifts. The hills were well maintained and the staff was VERY friendly. My eight year old struggled to get on the ski lift a few times, being too short and not jumping at the right time. The ski lift operator was always helpful to give him a boost or hand us any pieces of equipment he may have lost.
It was also a bonus that the area had just had a decent amount of fresh snow, so the skiing was wonderful.