“Pizza is excellent, but...”

crispelli's bakery & pizzeria
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Berkley
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: When you walk into Crispelli's, you will experience an eatery and a market, joined together as one in a comfortable and casual atmosphere. The open-air layout invites you to choose between Authentic Italian thin crust or deep dish pizzas, hand-tossed signature salads, deli sandwiches, freshly made entrees, or daily baked artisan breads and pastries. Using the finest ingredients and highly refined bakery techniques, we are bringing back old world taste with an old world price. Whether you are looking for old-school cafeteria style, full-service, or hosting a private party - Crispelli's has it all.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Pizza is excellent, but...”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ok ... The pizza is truly excellent with top notch ingredients. We all thought the pepperoni and Italian sausage were very tasty, and really liked the roasted red peppers on our pizza. Prices were fair given the quality ($14-16 for large pies). The only negative is the service style. It is like a Pei-Wei, which would not be bad if there was only one place to order. However, they make you go to one location to order pizza, and another location to order sandwiches and drinks. I would rather pay a bit more for waiter service. The restaurant is very noisy too. Despite the drawbacks, the pizza was so good we will definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013

• Hebrew first
Birmingham, Michigan
“Great Pizza, but loud and chaotic”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

First time here, as friends had heard about it and wanted to try. It was a Friday night and the place was packed. it took about ten minutes to find a parking spot, as it is in a strip mall off Woodward. Hostess sat us after a few minute wait and explained the concept in a conversation that took about eight minutes and we were still confused. Different stations to order food, (if you remember Movenpick in Toronto), but without a central pay station. Easy to get confused. The place was clean, but very loud and chaotic. You have to pick up your food after ordering, as they call your name, but didn't tell you have to wait right by the station as you cannot hear if you go back and sit down. Friends salad sat for ten minutes, as they did not know. The thin crust white pizza was great! Best I have ever had. You have to get your own plates, silverware, napkins. Would get their pizza again, but only as carryout. Difficult to maneuver a tray of food/drinks through the crowd.

• Visited February 2013
Davisburg, Michigan
“Give it another try”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I agree this place is a bit confusing. I wasn't sure what to do or where to do it. But once I decided what I wanted, got it ordered and paid for, my experience got better. I had the reuben sandwich and it was delicious. The meat was tender and tasty, the bread was fresh. The portion was plentiful. There are many choices of beverages. Make sure you check the cooler in the center of the ordering area and don't just settle for fountain drinks.

I did like being able to just stand up and walk out with out having to wait for a server to get around to taking my money.

I'm going to give it another try. I'd like to try the pizza.

• Visited January 2013
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Best pizza we ever had!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant during the holidays because we heard they had the best pizza around. We have several restaurants in the area that serve good pizza but this one was truly our #1 pick. We ordered a deep dish and my children ordered the flat pizza and a Cobb Salad and all were equally good. The restaurant has two sides. One where you can be served by wait staff and the other where you can walk up and order your meal and then have a seat. The next time we have a taste for pizza, we will be returning here.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“I enjoyed it”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I usually do NOT like places where you have to get up and order your own food and drink, but this place turned out to be ok. Was there with a big group. Food was good. Service was helpful i.e. they kept taking pizzas back for my wife when they got the order wrong, and kept it up until she was happy -- no small feat. I had a pizza and it was very good. I would come back.

• Visited December 2012