“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Greenfield, Indiana
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We did not stay, because when we arrived they did not give us the room that was promised. We were two adult Sisters and an Adult Brother.
When I booked it over the phone we were promised a suite type room, which was two double beds and a pull out sofa in another area.
Upon arrival we were told that room was not available. I said one KING with a pull out was ok too. Nope....
I ended up going across the street to a Comfort Inn. Night and day difference !!!!! Lobby was much more attractive.
She gave us a great room. It was huge, had a fridge and microwave.
I would give this Holiday Inn no stars if possible .
PS. The staff never apologized. It was like they did not care if they lost my business ....
A more professional hotel would have done whatever it took to have stay there.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank hoosierdeb21
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear hoosierdeb21,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Coshocton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Spent three nights here and never heard neighbors or people passing in the hall, even though they seemed to be fairly full. The rooms were nicely cleaned each day, and breakfast was great. Hotel location is very close to restaurants and virtually all major retailers.

Room Tip: My room was on the opposite side from the highway. I can't say how the noise level may have been...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Timothy O
Gene B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Benton Harbor. We are please to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as our full hot breakfast that was included each day with your room. We are fortunate to have such courteous travelers stay with us that it makes our job much easier in making sure each guest enjoys their stay with us to the fullest. I will personally pass on your kind words in regards to the housekeeping service of your room to our cleaning staff as I know their day is brightened hearing that their hard work is noticed and appreciated by both staff and guest. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip through our great area and thank you again for your stay!!
McHenry, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My friend and I had a reservation for Saturday (18. May) night and then spur of the moment on Friday night decided to take off at 1am and chance it. We arrived about 4am and the lady working the reception- I want to say her name was like, Marcy?- was the greatest!! Helped us get a room and gave me a great price. Was incredibly apologetic when there was a mix up with the room she assigned us, but she had the most wonderful sense of humor and fixed the problem instantly. The rooms are pretty huge and the black out curtains did a fairly decent job- a must for terrible insomniacs like me. I have started bringing my own box fan since the wonderfully quiet wall units are a downfall for people like me who need the white noise- ha!
We didn't get to take advantage of the pool or breakfast, but the next time we definitely will.
This is a wonderful option if you don't want to shell out the comparatively big bucks for the same places in St. Joesph's. Benton Harbor is sort of a pit to drive through, but 5 minutes down the road and you're there.

Room Tip: Our room faced south (I believe) towards a quarry looking place. Wonderfully quiet and pretty view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gene B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the kind words in regards to your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Benton Harbor. It is always delightful to here a guest enjoyed there time with us as much as we enjoyed having them stay with us. With out our valuable guest feed back such as your review we would not have the tools to best serve our guest's and properly train our employee's to provide such stellar service. I look forward to passing on your praises of our night audit staff and I know she will be thrill and I thank you on her behalf in advance. We look forward to seeing you again and given you a chance to enjoy some of our wonderful amenities you did not have time to experience on this stay. Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Express, Benton Harbor and have a wonderful day!!

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We arrived @11 pm & was immediately welcomed by the desk staff. I explained we'd been driving all day, the kids were asleep in the car. She quickly processed our information & she set us up in a room. We went up and the room was spotless, no smells and plenty of room for our luggage's. The kids said it's was the best sleep they'd had in any hotel beds! Comfy pillows, the right temperature of the room and a clean bathroom. We showered and made it downstairs for the "included breakfast" in the morning. The kids had fun with the pancake maker. The older one had the eggs and sausage while we enjoyed a fresh glass of orange juice, yogurt, fresh coffee, and danishes. The area was clean and the service was prefect! If you need somewhere to stay definitely keep this hotel in mind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dominic t
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Benton Harbor. It is always a pleasure to hear that our staff and accommodations exceeds our guest's expectations. We pride ourselves in our warm friendly demeanor and superb customer service and our housekeeping staff attention to detail and diligent cleaning procedures ensure that every guest walks into a beautifully cleaned and presented room. We are so happy that we were able to make your stay with us such a positive, memorable experience and we look forward to do that same in your future travels through our area. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm a driver and I stay here about 3 times a week and its always a nice stay and the staff are great people. Rooms are great and beds a very comfortable. Always plenty of parking and always clean. Breakfast is good and always stocked.

• Stayed May 2013
Gene B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Mr. Steiger,
I would like to personally thank you for your feed back regarding your recent stays with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Benton Harbor. With out loyal guests such as yourself we would not be able to be the hotel we are today. We value your feed back as our number one tool is rating our success in guest service and satisfaction. It is wonderful to hear you have enjoyed your stays as much as we have enjoyed having you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Gene Barker General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed 1 night at the HIE in Benton Harbor. It was nice, clean and the service was great. They offered a breakfast that looked like there were many options but I didn't have the breakfast. I wanted Starbucks so I made the 15 minute drive to a small starbucks in a grocery store:-) I booked the room through Orbitz and check-in literally took 2 minutes. The staff said good morning and evening when we walked in the door.

We stayed because my husband was graduating the next morning and even though there were tons of people there it never felt crowded. We stayed in room 210. I don't care about having a few because I don't get a hotel room to look out the window. I care about:

1.) A clean bathroom (check)
2.) A clean and well kept bed (check)
3.) Quality television choices (check)
4.) Fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker in room (check)

I had all that I needed and will definitely stay again.

Thank you all for allowing us to have a restful night during a stressful weekend.

Room Tip: I would not stay near elevator becuase the bell sounded sort of loud to me.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gene B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Benton Harbor, MI and congratulations on the graduation, we are pleased you chose our facility to be part of your celebration. We are always very happy to hear we are able to provide and exceed the expectations of our guests both during their stay and into the future. Again thank you for choosing our Holiday Inn Express to enjoy your special event and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for a couple nights, the beds were surprisingly comfy and so were the pillows. The breakfast was great and they had a huge selection. Upon checking out and leaving the hotel the front desk had called to let us know I left my prescription in the room, that saved me a huge hassle! The room and bathroom were very clean. I would recommend this hotel to everyone needing to stay near Benton Harbor, its really a great value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gene B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your great review of the Holiday Inn Express in Benton Harbor MI. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations with the value, service, and accommodations both during and after your stay. With out such great guests and their valuable feedback such as yours we would not have the information to provide our guests with the best stay possible at such a great value. Thank you again and we look forward to being able to exceed your expectations during future stays with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benton Harbor
#4 of 11 in Benton Harbor
Days Inn & Suites Benton Harbor MI
BEST WESTERN Benton Harbor-St. Joseph
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Holiday Inn Express Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!