See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 6, 2018

The check in was quick. The girl at front desk was friendly and went out of her way to get me a microwave for my room like I asked. Neighbors are down to earth. Everyone knows everyone and it makes the place feel more like a home away from home.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2018

ZERO STARS! Should be shut down! Outside of motel looked extremely shady w/BBQ grill, cats, door mats, busted indoor chairs, trash, 5 gallon buckets with standing water and cigarettes butts. Looked like people were living there not just staying a night or two-as one window displayed Halloween decoration with a door mat another a BBQ grill! Laundry room also had sock, undies, dryer sheets, on ground in front of laundry room door (outside of building). Partner and I are avid campers, and backpackers. Not looking for luxury, just reliable shelter for a night. Went to office to check in, office personnel was not there. About 5 mins of waiting, a man in street clothes came into the office asked if we were checking in, stated that Office Manager was away, called him to tell him that he had guest (assumed he was maintenance). States manager be back in 10 minutes and left the office. 45 minutes later, office manager arrived. Checked in and went to room. Was immediately hit w/strong industrial cleaning chemicals smells with a underlying cigarette smoke smell (smoke free room). Eyes watering, and chest started to cave in - asthma started. Looked around the motel; saw cigarette burn holes in mattress cover, mold on walls and 2 cockroaches on the wall above microwave. Walked straight out! Went to the front desk in under 10 minutes of check in; asked for a refund / didn't unload any thing into the room or use or touch anything. Office manager offered another room, we declined. Roach problem in one, they are going to be in other rooms.. was not risking the chance to put myself in the hospital from the smells, and/or bring home new pet cockroaches. Office manager said that he would not refund us because we were outside of the 24 cancellation window (we reserved online through motel6.com - but sign on office wall said that walk in could get refund within 15 minutes of arrival - guess this doesn't apply to online reservations through COMPANY WEBSITE). Office manager told us that we had to talk to expedia to cancel-as he had in his system that we reserved through expedia. I told him that I reserved through Motel6.com attempted to show him my confirmation on my cell phone and HE WALKED OUT OF THE OFFICE GOT INTO HIS CAR AND DROVE OFF! I called motel6.com they confirmed my online confirmation with through their site, said that I should be able to get a refund if not happy with the room, but needs to be done at office as they were unable to assist with cash handling. I left the office to book another hotel down the road came back within 30 mins (had to get dressed and attend a wedding in less than an hour!). Manager still missing. A new office employee now there she stated she just arrived to work for her shift. Motel6.com was nice enough to attempt to call this motel 6 location to tell the manager to refund me. However, since manager was not in the office, the employee had to call the manager back. He drove up to the office saw us, and started yelled at us saying we were lying and nothing wrong with his room as he stated he just went to the room to check it out. He told us once again that we have to talk to expedia (still not listening to us) and then threaten to call the cops for assault if we kept hanging out at the office - we told him to go ahead and call the cops (we were not yelling back nor causing a scene! The first time we ask for the refund, I actually waited for the guest that was in the office to vacate before mentioning to the manager about the condition of the room and cockroaches to save him some face). Once again, I could not get a single word in between his yelling and cowering out of the office. AND Once again, manager ran out of the office straight to his car to drive away avoiding resolving the issue. My partner and I were dumbfounded by our interactions with this person. The employee did not look phased by this, but maybe a little embarrassed. As if she sees it all the time. I felt sorry that she was subject to have to work for someone like this. I can only imagine the abuse she has to put up with from this manager if he's treating strangers/guest this way. This place needs to be shut down.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Travelodge by Wyndham Benton Harbor MI, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

Dear Gurskilm, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

This was by far the most disgusting Motel I've ever stayed in. The room was loaded with mold. The bathroom was disgustingly filthy and the air conditioner had flooded the first half of the room and when I showered in the morning the entire room flooded which triggered horrible mold spores that made me very sick with a migraine headache and I had to leave the room. There was no microwave or mini refrigerator. The walls were streaked with filth and there were botched up patches on the walls. The bathroom tiles were all mismatched and uneven and soft and move when you stepped on them. The shower was rusted and there was dirt and filth running down the walls of the shower. The towel bar in the bathroom is Rusted filthy and painted several different times. The flooring was warped and uneven and move when you stepped on them because of the flooding. This is a horrible place and the room we stayed in should be condemned. I'm ashamed we stayed there. We paid $89 for one night and this place wasn't worth a dollar. I should have slept in my car. It was Labor Day weekend and there was nowhere else to stay and we arrived at 2:30 in the morning and it took the two girls working forever to find my reservation and get us a room. It was a disgusting room and I'm still upset when I think about it

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear April, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. Please know the conditions you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

This hotel was booked by a friend for a short weekend trip. We pulled up and immediately knew what type of place this was going to be. We were told we had 15 minutes to look at the room before we would be charged. Walked in the room and holy cow!! The mattresses were pretty much black, the bathroom floor was missing tiles and most were cracked. The real kicker was the numerous dead and live roaches living by the ac unit. Went back to the front desk and never looked back. This place should be shut down.

Trip type: Traveled with family
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Travelodge by Wyndham Benton Harbor MI, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. We have procedures in place related to our pest policy that should have prevented the inconveniences you describe. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. Please accept our apologies that your stay was less than satisfactory. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I reserved a non smoking room, but the first room I was given REEKED of cigarette smoke and the smoke alarm was chirping. I was moved to the room next door. My neighbor had a 30 year old car parked in front of his room with weeds growing up around it through the pavement. The staff is completely unprofessional. The floors in the room and in front of the toilet were very soft and the flooring tiles were loose and broken. The worst part was that my second room DID NOT HAVE A SHOWER. Bathtub, but no shower. I was told to use the room next door (the original, stinky one) to shower. This seems to be a very low end residential place. Never again.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank marcy b
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Travelodge by Wyndham Benton Harbor MI, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2018

Dear Marcy, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. Please know the issues you describe are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.