“Stay away, sleep in your car!”

Rodeway Inn Benton Harbor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Bloomington, Indiana
“Stay away, sleep in your car!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Filthy! Mattresses look like they were from dumpsters! Hairs on bedsheets, cigarette burn hole in mattress cover, dim light in bath, bath/shower both spray at same time, no stopper in sink, no remote for tv, stained walls, stained curtains,etc, etc.....
Gave it one star because the room AC WORKED, (one speed)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deb02LWD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were in a pinch trying to find something last minute and I booked this hotel. We stayed in room 320. It is semi-functional at best. The sheets were clean and beds were comfy. The A/C unit was working & the little bar fridge came in handy. When we requested 2 more towels, we were told that they were in the dryer and that it would be 15-20 minutes. The towels arrived at our room still hot! The bathroom light started to dim and the chairs have old burn marks on them. Although all the rooms are nonsmoking, I thought I smelled smoke when passing some of the rooms. There were no evidence of bedbugs in this room. It also appears that management is refurbishing some of the rooms as there were a number of workmen coming and going, so hopefully it will get better in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rhea F

Travelers are raving about these Benton Harbor hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 15, 2013

... until I compared it to other motels I have rated as average and it didn't compare to those.

It is a truck-stop motel.

… measuring it by those standards it is an OK place.

Did find a couple of maintenance issues. 1) There isn’t a door stop on the door so the handle and security lock have put holes in the wall. 2) The tub has cracked and someone has done a pretty bad job of ‘fixing’ it. With all that ruff surface it is not something I would take a bath in.

Big plus’s … Cheap and lot’s of truck parking next door at the Flying J. Check in went fine, got my receipts then so no check out.

The room it’s self was a mix … The floor was a ‘Motel 6’ style wood floor, The furniture looked fairly new, but the sheets were old and the walls were in real need of a make-over.

Various signage on the property said ‘Super 8’ and Knights Inn, but today’s receipt was calling it the ‘American Inn / Sturgis Inn’ ... and when my credit card was billed is says Knights Inn.

Only food in the area is Wendy’s next door at the truck-stop.

I did not have any of their breakfast, but they had two name brand cold cereals plus bread for toast and a couple of other basics.

Meets my basic’s of clean, quiet and temperature controlled, so I’ll be back if I am in the area.

… maybe I should start reading TripAdvisor BEFORE is check in instead of after when I’m writing my reviews. I likely would not have stayed here … 22 terrible and 1 poor … out of 23. But I’ll give it their best review so far … (ALMOST) average. It is a truck-stop motel and I did not experience the issues listed by others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim-OnTheWayHome
Farmington, MI
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were late booking a hotel for the Benton Harbor Steelhead 1/2 Triathlon and this was the only hotel left.

The room was dirty and falling apart. Not only were there possible health issues related to lack of cleanliness; there were safety issues related to electrical outlets and extension cords.

DISGUSTING!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank myxbze
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Driving to Chicago to help a friend and my car was over heating. (this is in july) so i forced my car here after finding it online. Rates were cheap.
Front desk guy was rude.
Room was disgusting. Trash under the bed, bathroom ceiling falling down, hair on the sheets, next set had blood and a hole. The mirror fell over the wall.
Breakfast the next morning consisted of nothing. They were out of milk and bowels for cereal.

We debated sleeping in the car but since the place had shady people outside we decided not too. Next time i will sleep in the car.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nathan C
Logansport IN
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Myself and a friend stayed at this location while working in the area doing phone book distribution. We both broke out with some kind of rash after coming home, staying only 2 nights in the room. My co-worker had a much more severe rash situation than did I. We ended up having to go to the doctor because of the severity of the rash and itching. Doctor confirmed we had been eaten alive by bedbugs. Neither of us were familiar with bedbugs, but now we KNOW what the small insects we had biting us while laying in bed were. I reported this to Knights Inn, and they were most concerned but told me to contact the manager of the motel. I did so several times but got NO response whatsoever. Staying at this location ended up costing us over $300 in doctor bills and medications... Not to even mention the horror of the rash and itching and finding out we had been bedbug victims!! Thank you motel manager for blowing this off and not even contacting me or responding to my letters. AVOID THIS DUMP!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in Benton harbour for labour day weekend. We are from the UK and were on a road trip so we were only booking motels a few day in advance which was fine but we clearly over looked this holiday weekend!!
We didn't expect much as this was the cheapest place we have ever booked. However it was much worse that we had feared.
Its says this Motel has been renovated recently.... I think thats a big lie. The motel smells of cigarettes and curry, very musty. Im not sure if the US have recently change the law to non smoking rooms but obviously no effort has been made to steam clean this motel to rid the place of the smell of smoke. ( We didn't experience this anywhere else)
The room was musty and dark. The fridge hadn't been wiped out and was sticky. Then I saw the bathroom at this point I felt physically sick. The bath was black and the taps were filthy. i would have attempted to clean it but it was so dirty I didn't know if i would catch anything.
We had no intention of staying and went straight to the front desk to see if we could have a refund but as it was past 1800hrs we could no longer get one. That said we didn't care as long as we could leave. We tried and tried to get in anywhere (money no object but everywhere fully booked.We even tried to get into Chicago hotels as this was out next destination, but no joy.)
I didn't see any bugs thankfully and the bed sheets seemed acceptable and we were able to get some sleep although my husband didn't sleep because he felt so terrible as he was unable to do anything about the situation and felt he had put the family in this vulnerable situation.
Worst breakfast ever!! So didn't bother as I wasn't confident that the food had been stored or handled properly.
The only plus was that Wi fi was sound and out three teenagers did not lose signal the whole time unlike everywhere else. So that distracted them.
My advise stay away.

Econo Lodge in Saint Joseph
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Best Western Benton Harbor - St. Joseph
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Rodeway Inn Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!