“BUGS WILL CRAWL ON YOU! STAY AWAY!!”

Rodeway Inn Benton Harbor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Holland, Michigan
“BUGS WILL CRAWL ON YOU! STAY AWAY!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I TRIED staying here. We were a little cautious because we had just left a crappy motel with dead bugs on the floor and besides that, Knights Inns aren't known for their cleanliness. But we were staying the weekend and wanted a cheap room! I asked to see the room first and the guy at the front desk was nice and showed me the room I'd be staying in. Nothing special but didn't seem overly gross, all things considered (cheap hotel...Knights Inn...). A couple hours after checking in, my boyfriend noticed a little bug crawling on his stomach as he was sitting on the bed. It looked a little like a termite, but could've been a bed bug, not sure what those look like. We were a little grossed out but not ready to leave just because of one little bug, after all that can happen at any motel. BUT THEN, he saw a 2nd similar looking bug on the night stand by the bed. That's when we started to realize we might have to leave. So at that point we started to look for more and sure enough, we saw another one crawling on his pillow. Gross. Front desk guy was going to charge us full price for the room, but after arguing with him for several minutes, he agreed to only charge us $30 (even though he probably sold that bug infested room for full price that same night!). He never refunded the difference on my credit card even though I got a refund receipt. I ended up having to call corporate 4 times and fax over my credit card statement to finally get my refund. I'm actually still waiting for a check in the mail, but at least they said it is on the way and I have a confirmation # as proof. Stay Away!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LJGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
chicagoland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place is a total truck stop place. The bedding appeared clean and the bathroom too, but the carpet was old and dirty looking. There was a dirty looking recliner and such, but we survived it. Just a place to sleep and go. The bed was rather old too...you kind of sink in. Should have camped in south haven like my husband wanted. However, I was worreid about the bugs like people wrote about, but I inspected it, and didn't see a single bug. The air conditioning did work. Right off the interstate though and we love st. joe and south haven.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank midwestgirl0

Travelers are raving about these Benton Harbor hotels

Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Very low quality facilities. Try to plan and avoid having very little choices. It needs an overhaul, specially the beding. I is in truck stop, therefore noisy. People are nice....

There is not a lot to say to get to 200 words. No muy bueno, pretty bad, it is a aceap place, but it was also expensive. It could

Room Tip: Choose in advanve and avoid this place
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The only way I would stay here again is...well, I wouldn't, I'd sleep in the car first. The bathroom was very dark with only one light over the sink, although that may have been a blessing in disguise. The room was small and not particularly clean. One of the lights wasn't working so the front desk gave me a bulb-that didn't fix it. Fully 1/3 of the tv channels didn't work. The walls seemed to be paper thin.
Even though it's cheap, don't do it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank William_A_B
Portage, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This hotel is disgusting. The whole atmosphere to this hotel is dark and dirty. The room and hallways smelled musty. The linens looked clean but smelled musty like the room. The beds were very uncomfortable.There was mold in the bathroom. The soap was the size of a dinner mint and there was no shampoo. Not even at the front desk. The vending machines were either empty or out of order. The bathroom was not restocked with towels or faceclothes. The desk was dirty and sticky all over. Continental breakfast consisted of stale donuts, bread and cereal. They did not even carry sugar substitute. There was no butter for the toast or silverwear to spread the jelly that was offered. My family and I were desperate for a hotel that night however the next time we will sleep in the car. .

Room Tip: Stay away from this place evn if you are desperate
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn M
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have been on the road for 30 days and his is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. It is supposed to be non smoking but the room smells so badly the night person brought up spray. I had to open the cracked window with tap securing th glass and open the hallway door to air it out. The bed sags too and furnishing is sparse and old. I asked for a discount and got just a shrug. This is not cheap, $90 and the only reason I stayed is that I am on a motorcycle, it is late and raining, and I could not find another room as all hotels are booked. I should have ridden in the dark rather than stay here.

Room Tip: Drive past this hotel even if late.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cdnehrider
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Awful!!! Don't stay here unless you are desperate!! It is right next to a truck stop and difficult to get to and it is so not worth it. It is very inexpensive but you really feel like you will get something staying here. The bed was not comfortable and the bathroom had many rust areas. This hotel is absolutely desperate for an overhaul! The staff was distant and unresponsive. There was no remote for the TV in the room. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Unusual guests stay here looks like long term so there the 2nd floor definitely should be avoided.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Boulevard Inn
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Rodeway Inn Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!