“Keep an Open Mind-The Food and Beers are Good”
Review of The Livery

The Livery
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Over one hundred years ago, the building known as the Palace Livery provided a vital service making it a unique gathering place for residents of and travelers to Southwest Michigan. This former horse stable has been brought back to life as The Livery. Located at 190 5th street, in the Arts District of downtown Benton Harbor, Michigan, the Livery features 12 taps of microbrew, 3 Real Ale taps, an outdoor beer garden, WIFI, and a Café serving great food. Music and other live entertainment are regularly featured in The Upper Livery entertainment venue.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My family and I decided to stop here on the way to Ann Arbor from Chicago. The exterior of the old brick building is beautiful, and the painted benches surrounding the entrance are a nice touch. The entryway is confusing, however--the beer garden is to the left, the cafe-bar is down the stairs, and the music is upstairs. It's unclear where and how to order food, and the confusion of the entryway might make you decide to leave. However, after asking around in the outside beer garden, we went downstairs. The environment downstairs might seem strange--order food in one place (from a very nice server), get your drinks (from the funny and wonderful bartender) in another--with mostly large, round tables. But we persevered, and we're glad we did. The beers, I'm told, were very, very good--and the burgers we ordered were absolutely terrific, well-prepared on a fresh pretzel roll. The prices are extremely reasonable. All in all, we recommend The Livery with enthusiasm.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stopped here while here on a short vacation to Lake Michigan, and we are so glad we did. The hand crafted beers here were very tasty and interesting; they can definitely hold their own with other top breweries in the area! We can't wait to return.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went to The Livery to try the beers. It was hard to narrow down our choices for the sampler, but we eventually did - and they were all wonderful! Very interesting, true to style, good descriptors on the board. And the pizza was amazing!! The background music was good, Mikey G was a great bartender, the ambiance was perfect! We will be back, and I cannot wait to hear some live music upstairs.

We had been told about The Livery from several people over the past few months, and it lived up to the hype. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank karstensmom
LiveryBrew, Public Relations Manager at The Livery, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Hello and thanks for taking time to provide this feedback on your visit!

Like most people today, I’ll bet you are busy, so I just wanted to let you know that your comments are important to our staff members and help them understand what Livery patrons are experiencing when they visit.

Re: live music lineup - The Livery has hosted everything from Grammy Award winners to local musicians starting their careers so I’d recommend watching our website’s ‘event calendar’ for info on what’s coming up.

Thanks again and cheers!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Great place to try new beers and meet with friends. Live music upstairs on the weekend. Food menu limited but overall pretty good.

1  Thank Christopher T
LiveryBrew, Public Relations Manager at The Livery, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thanks for taking time to provide us with your comments, they're much appreciated!

We’ll be sure to pass them on to the rest of the staff.

Cheers!

John B.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I'm sorry to say I don't care for the beer at all. They all taste too bitter. A friend describes them as having a Joy dishwashing soap after-taste and I have to say I totally agree! I wish the brewer/owner would create something for those of us who are light beer drinkers. I know we are not the biggest market, but I actually have friends that won't go here because they dislike the drinks so much. I feel this is a shame, because the stage and setting are fun. We've tried the wines, but they were not good either. Why they don't offer the wonderful local wines we have in Berrien County is beyond me!

The last time we went, we tried the raspberry hard cider and finally have found something we ladies could drink! It had a merlot type taste to it and we enjoyed the glass we each had...it was an 11% alcohol content so we didn't need too much more! LOL

I've seen some pretty good bands here and enjoy the vibe and feel of the place. I'm glad to finally have something to imbibe when we go! Maybe now that we found something drinkable, we will be there more often! C'mon brewer! Think of your lady customers and make a special brew for us!

LiveryBrew, Public Relations Manager at The Livery, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

I’d like to thank you for taking time to provide us with this feedback and a very generous 4/5 overall rating. Specific, detailed feedback like this is important and can help us to provide a better experience to our customers and friends.

As to the specifics of your comments:

Beer: Obviously, we are a brew pub and reading about your experience with Livery beer is very disappointing. I will be sure to relay all of your comments to our Brew Master Steve. While I can’t guarantee that he will be able to craft a lighter beer that you will enjoy, this sort of information can help influence future beer production, so again, thank you for that information.

A related question: (soapy after-taste) - Was there a specific beer involved? We currently list over 40 Livery brewed beers on our website and if we could narrow it down a bit, it might help us to resolve this comment. (Please feel free to send any follow-up comments to me at: promotions@liverybrew.com)

Wine Selection: I agree that Berrien County offers many fine wines. We actually have offered different varieties over the years. We do try to offer a good, basic wine selection and obviously there is room for improvement in this area as well.

Cider + General Venue: Enjoyed reading your comments and will be sure to pass them on to the appropriate staff members!

In closing I would like to thank you for your support of The Livery and say that I am hopeful we can improve in the areas you have highlighted in your comments.